PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H3 Cracked Casing x 2!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 07:02 AM
Default H3 Cracked Casing x 2!!

I have a 2006 H3 with Adventure package and have just clocked 96K on it. Loved it until I cracked the casing two weeks ago and had to replace the transmission with a refurbed GM unit. Of course my warranty was only for 50K, so I footed the bill for that one. HOWEVER, just got my truck back last week and guess what, the same thing happened again tonight!! Same noise, heard a rattling noise, a pop and then smoke starts pouring out behind you. Pulled over and tranny fluid is leaking all over the exhaust again and onto the ground. Has anybody else had this issue or heard of anything likes this?? Also when you are driving on the highway, does anybody notice that the passenger floor seems to get super hot?? Had that issue since day one? Any input hear would be huge... Thx

Old 09-23-2008, 07:38 AM
Default RE: H3 Cracked Casing x 2!!

I also have a 2006 Adventure. I have 70k on it right now and no problems with the trans. also I have never noticed the floor being hot. How did you notice that?

Old 09-23-2008, 08:40 AM

I first noticed the passenger floor beinghot during my moved to Seattle from Atlanta. I had a sleeping bag rolled up on the passenger floor. I attributed it to the fact that I was towing the largest u-haul trailer stuffed to the max and driving 10 hours per day stopping only for gas. I figured that the bag was hot because it was insulating the floor.
My passengers have never noticed this before.

Nova...

Old 09-23-2008, 08:51 AM

I have Adventure w/5-speed with no issues at 36K.

My floor does get pretty hot, but only on long trips. I just got back from New Mexico and noticed that everything on the floor was quite warm. I thought it was due to the 600 lbs of crap in the back combined with keeping an 80 MPH pace.

Oh, I also have Gibson cat-back.

Old 09-23-2008, 09:36 AM

IT is on longer trips the floor gets hot, my wife has noticed it a few times and also when I was driving back from Maine to NJ, we had some chocolate as gifts for our dog sitter and it actually melted!!

Old 09-23-2008, 11:07 AM
Super Moderator

Did you have all the required mantenance performed on the 4L60-E transmission? After a two like that, I would have changed out the fluid and filter, schedule I says change it at 50K? Schedule II at 100K
(h)
Change automatic transmission fluid and filter if the
vehicle is mainly driven under one or more of these
conditions:
−
In heavy city traffic where the outside temperature
regularly reaches 90°F (32°C) or higher.
−
In hilly or mountainous terrain.
−
When doing frequent trailer towing.
−
Uses such as found in taxi, police, or delivery
service.

I would say your move hit two of the above: towing and hilly/mountains??? Also, refurbished trans. are just that, not new, you can get a bad one. [&o]

Old 09-23-2008, 12:50 PM

Because I clock up a lot of miles, I do get service done every 5k regardless. I have been doing it through the original dealer I purchased it from (little more expensive, but take care of warranty issues) and they did do the 50k change for the tranny. I do not tow that often and when I do, it is a light trailer. I live in NJ so there are a few hills, but not Colorado size mountains. In talking to the dealer to-day they are totally stumped at this stage..

Old 09-23-2008, 01:16 PM

I have 63K miles on my 2006 H3 Adv. no problems at all, and i have never noticed the floor getting hot.

btw how much was the tranny and install?

Old 09-23-2008, 03:29 PM

The "refurbed" transmissiom was $3900 installed. I just got off the phone with the dealer's service department. It appears it was a worn transfer case that cracked both trannys!! They missed it the first time I guess. The good news is that Hummer and the dealer have stepped up and will cover the whole repair..... Small moral victory I guess, becauseif they had diagnosed correctly the first time, I would have been hit up for the transfer case as well.. Thanks for all your input folks. Pete

Old 10-20-2008, 02:54 AM

Your floor on most cars will get hot on long trips. Everything gets heat soak after a while and transmits heat into the cabin. My old wrangler could cook an egg if I drove for 5 hours or more. Novosaigo your torsion keys look pretty cranked down as well. This more severe cv joint angle cant be good for them. This wont be your culprit though. Maybe your transmision is overheating do to blocked atf in the valvebody valleys or tranny cooler is blocked elsewhere. When it got hot a bearing overheated and became unbalanced causing vibration and damage. THis can happen pretty quik and make a bang along with a cracked bell housing. a trans does not like heat.

Quick Reply: H3 Cracked Casing x 2!!