PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H3 4 Wheel Drive Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 02:32 PM
Default H3 4 Wheel Drive Question

Hi everyone! Glad I found this forum. I have had my H3 for a little over 2 years. It is a 2006, I purchased it new in 2007.

Ok, the other day, I was pulling into a parking lot and I was not going fast. I heard a noise that sounded like I had run over something. I stopped and got out of the vehicle to see what I had run over and there was nothing. I checked my tires to make sure there were no problems and there was nothing that I could see.

When I went to drive, it felt sluggish. When I make a tight turn it felt like I had a flat tire. I got out of the vehicle again and no flat tires.

I asked my son (an auto mechanic) what he thought and he said I probably had the automatic 4 wheel drive system come on. I had been in a rock parking lot earlier in the day where I had to struggle a little to get out of it so my son said that perhaps that had caused the 4 wheel drive system to come on.

So, I look at my dashboard where the 4x4 buttons are and the middle light was on. I never pay attention to this as I don't drive this as a 4x4 vehicle just in town etc.

I've been trying to figure out what is up. I cannot make all the lights go out on the three buttons, one of them is always on but like I said I've never paid attention to which light may have been on previously.

I wish it just said on and off. I changed it to the first light being on rather than the middle light and that seems much better.

Can someone help me? Which buttons on the dash and which lights should be on and off when you do NOT want to use the 4 wheel drive?

Thanks.

Old 04-14-2009, 03:19 PM

It sounds like you are in 4hi lock. It can be sluggish when you are in this mode and that is the middle button. You cannot turn 4WD on or off, it is always on (that is you can't go to 2WD), however the normal setting is 4Hi (button all the way on left) for normal driving. When you press it, it should blink and then switch over.

Old 04-14-2009, 04:09 PM

There was a post not too long ago about someone had to take that part of the dash off surrounding the buttons, and pull out on the button it had gotten stuck and then they could get it unlocked. Not saying that is the problem but it is something to look for.

Old 04-14-2009, 06:31 PM

Yeah, what white08H3 said! These are always in 4-wheel drive. I did do the same thing the other day. I backed out of a space and it sounded and felt like I ran over an aluminum can. I looked around and found nothing. I didn't notice and performance decrease though.

Old 04-15-2009, 03:54 AM

Hello,
like you said "The middle light was on". You where in 4HI-Lock, this is the reason for the sluggish ride. Your transfercase is locked and front and rear wheels turn always the same. When you make a turn, your front wheels have to turn faster then the rear wheels.

Hit the left button and all should be good, when the light on the left button is on.

Greets,

Jens

Old 04-15-2009, 09:39 PM
Super Moderator

4Hi lock on pavement will torque bind your drivetrain. Drive like that long enough and you will toast something.

READ the owners manual, that's why they put em in the glove box.

Old 04-17-2009, 02:02 PM

It's very easy to accidently hit that middle button. Adjusting the Radio or adjusting the vents and you hand accidently hits it. It has happened to me a couple of tiimes.

Old 04-17-2009, 05:13 PM

It has happened to me too. I was hanging out the passenger window and must have bumped it. I was in a parking lot when it happened, and I too got out and said "where is that flat tire?"

Old 04-17-2009, 05:16 PM

be careful with that ouch, i did it with an 87 thank god it was a chevy and no damage occurred but it'll get bad quick lol

Old 04-18-2009, 06:00 AM
Banned

pls be careful with that ouch, and drive safely