PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

H3 - 3/4 temp stressful

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 03:14 AM
Default H3 - 3/4 temp stressful

Hello people.... how are you,, hope you all are doing great...

I just want to talk about the temp in hummer h3 issue i can call it or high temp...

I done everything i can in my car to fix the temp, maybe GM did it in purpose, but to be honest, its kinda irritating looking at the temp going up especially before the red line.

ok GM say the open loop is 200f but the car reach 225f or more. why they didnt make it lower ? most of the people say, the high temp will make the car go better, less the fuel and make the engine life longer that is why. but look to be honest, all the cars from 1940 until before the new age of modern cars, are still working perfect and more the old cars will last more then the new cars, and also if you change it to 160f thermostat a code will show up that the car is not reaching the point, so for me i live in Saudi Arabia and the temp here will reach 50c to 55c can you imagine how hot is that, and my temp is always at 3/4 and i realize that when it reach the 3/4, the car preform weak and not like when i am moving and the temp go little down, especially on traffic days, so i said ok 160f thermostat not good so let me keep 180f instead of 195f, and do some adjustment so instead of it start to open at 192f and fully open at 225f, it can start to open at 180 and fully open around 206f with the adjustment, so i buy a new hummer h3 thermostat, and as mention it open at 195 because i want to change the stock one and i buy a blazer 2006 thermostat, i unlock the cap and remove the thermostat and the spring from the blazer and hummer thermostat, i put the blazer thermostat in the hummer one and i took the spring of the hummer and cut it around one turn exactly on the same cut of the original spring, and i put the spring and the cap and push it to lock, install it and done, fill water, turn on the car.

So Technically, the thermostat is made to start open at 180f and the spring is made to take the pressure of the heat until 185f so when it open, it open on the thermostat push and not on the spring push, so now i shorter the spring pressure to make the thermostat open faster, what i mean, if my calculation is right instead if the thermostat to fully open at 225 or 220f, while the loop point is at 200, i can allow the thermostat to open 200f to 207 or 210f as max, fully open.

its been two days now the needle it reaching the half and little up, i check the OBD because i want the temp 200 at least to reach the loop so i will not have a error code, and great, the temp is going 190-200-205or206or207 as max, i am expecting to reach 210 max its still fine better the 225, even that its normal.

Until now its fine, temp is reaching the loop and i am happy, will try it for few days, now the temp in Saudi id 45c waiting to each 50 to 55 to make sure, but so far i can see the deference.

Thanks

Attached Thumbnails H3 -  3/4 temp stressful-20150706_090235.jpg   H3 -  3/4 temp stressful-20150706_090308.jpg   H3 -  3/4 temp stressful-20150706_090340.jpg  
Old 07-06-2015, 10:09 AM

Interesting...

A better and easier way for you to check would be to put your new T-stat in a bowl of water that you heat up. check with a thermometer the temp and take note of when the T-stat starts opening and gets fully opened.

Anyway, you basically cut 1 loop from the Hummer H3 T-stat, swapped it into the Trail blazer body, and then installed it? Do you have pics of what you did?

Never mind the pics just loaded.

Old 07-07-2015, 04:15 AM

Hello, amrg

Well no, what i did is i remove the spring of the hummer and the thermostat of the hummer from the body and i also remove the blazer spring and stat from the body, i add the blazer stat to the hummer body part and cut the hummer spring one loop and add it to the hummer body, so conclusion = hummer body part + Blazer stat + Hummer spring cut one loop and close.

well actually i really didtn try it, hahah i miss that part because i was so exited after calculating the loop of the car and how much to cut. but its been 4 days now and the car temp is reaching 210f only, that is a little going up from the middle.

So hop it stay like this, i will update if any changes. but so far its great.