PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H2 Idles too low

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 02:04 PM
Default H2 Idles too low

I just swapped my stock battery for an Optima yellow top and now it won't idle above 400 rpm. I put the stock one back in and same thing. It starts very hard too. I drove around a little and it stalled a few times when I came to a stop.

Any feedback would be great.

Thanks,
Jim

Old 11-12-2007, 02:08 PM
Default RE: H2 Idles too low

that's a bit odd. is your check engine light on? the only thing i can think of is that maybe something got shorted and toasted or reset the PCM. do you have a code reader, or access to one? it would be interesting to see what, if any, codes you've got. if you can get the codes and post them, i can at least tell you what they're from.the battery won't have anything to do with idle, so it has to be something that reset or got shorted during the swap. did you connect the hot side before the ground, or the other way around?

Old 11-12-2007, 02:11 PM
Super Moderator

Interesting.... Have to go with shorty.... disconnect the leads again.... wait the few minutes.... connect the POS and then the NEG.... and try it again....

if you are gonna get codes it will take a few cycles before the CEI comes on.... since you just did the battery...

Old 11-12-2007, 02:24 PM

The check engine light is not so will it still give me a code? I did do Pos. first then Neg.and I just let it sit for about30mins with the cables disconnected. It seams to start a little easier now, but still idls low.

Jim

Old 11-12-2007, 02:32 PM

if the starting is coming back to normal, it may just have to relearn everything. it's possible that you simply wiped out memory and it will come back over time. once you reconnect it start it up and tool around the neighborhood some - but not too far in case you have to walk. the codes will throw after a set number of ignition cycles, it just depends on the issue. they also clear themselves after another set of ignition cycles if the problem disappers, but that takes longer. hopefully it's just "relearning" the mix and idle settings, so you'll come back to normal. if the problem was the same with both batteries, i would go ahead and put the yellow top back in, since that doesn't seem to be the problem. but that's just me and i still have warranty left. . . . . let us know what happens.

Old 11-12-2007, 02:32 PM
Super Moderator

I think it takes 6-10 cycles for a code.... so if you just did the batteries again it might take a couple days...

Old 11-12-2007, 02:35 PM

Thanks for the advice. I'll try driving it around a bit and see what happens.

Jim

Old 11-13-2007, 05:54 PM
Super Moderator

What did you decide, Jim?? Is it better?

Old 11-13-2007, 07:02 PM

It seems to be doing ok as of today. It appears to idle at 600 rpm which seems a little low, but im not sure what it's suppose to be. I'm just glad it's not dying at the stop lights.

Jim

Old 11-13-2007, 10:47 PM

Does anyone know what proper idle speed is? My 03 H2 idles around 600 without issues.

Quick Reply: H2 Idles too low