PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H2 ADVISE 4 LED HEADLIGHTS AND DRLs

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2015, 10:34 PM
Default H2 ADVISE 4 LED HEADLIGHTS AND DRLs

Hey,

I am new to this Forum and have read some articles posted by others regarding LED upgrades. I would like to upgrade both my headlights and my daytime running lights with LEDs. I need to keep it simple as I'm not too comfortable running wires and switches, so if you can help me keep it simple that would be great. I have a 2003 H2.

1) What is the easiest LED upgrade for both headlamps and DRLs?
2) Will the DRLs still operate after upgrading as they work now operating in gear? (no switch- I assume from this is factory hook up)

Also, if you can give me any suggestions for lighting for both and any threads on how to replace each would be great.

Thanks for any info.

Attached Thumbnails H2 ADVISE 4 LED HEADLIGHTS AND DRLs-fullsizerender.jpg  
Old 10-20-2015, 05:51 AM

The DRL's are a simple direct replacement. I just added them to mine and could not be happier. I ordered from Amazon and paid $25 a pair. I posted the brand in a recent topic here. They were JDM's with a built in projector lens.

The headlights are a different story. I spent lots of hours looking at the best retrofit parts before I ended up just upgrading to the a Sylvania Ultra Vision halogen bulb, again on Amazon for $26. I know several members here have went LED but while they might look brighter and whiter, they do not reach out as far or as wide as the halogens. HID is the next step but the retro fit parts from what I have read are illegal, expensive and don't last that long. The headlight itself is not made for HID, so that's another story. Buying new HID is about $1000.

So for a whopping $50 to $55 I have bright white lights and I can see a good distance down the road.

Tim

Old 10-20-2015, 06:39 AM

Thanks Tim for your advise.
I'll look into this more. I like the price, but am willing to pay more if I have to.
Anyone else have any other ideas or suggestions?? Please remember that I want to make an easy switch over.
Thanks guys!

Old 10-20-2015, 09:41 AM

If you are looking to eeplace just the DRL bulbs https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00NP...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 link to the ones I got . Very bright and last longer than any other I got before . In fact Im running same led bulb for the reverse

For the Headlights. Unless you want to spend around 1000 then just buy a good quality HID kit . Im using this one with good results https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004Z...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Ive been using HID for many years and never had a problem . Only time cars flash at me was cause I lift the front of the truck amd forgot to adjust the lights
The DRL MOD. Is a easy way to upgrade . Running the DRL day/night

Last edited by H2Miami; 10-20-2015 at 09:52 AM.
Old 10-20-2015, 04:57 PM

Just one question, because you are running the DRL day/night, did you have to put DRLsv on a separate switch?

Old 10-20-2015, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by H22003
Just one question, because you are running the DRL day/night, did you have to put DRLsv on a separate switch?
No need to use any switch . It comes on when the truck lights turn on
there are few post explaining how to . It is very siple just adding a wire with a diode from the parking lights fuse to the DRL fuse .
If you cant find it . I will take a pic tomorrow to show the localization

Old 10-21-2015, 07:20 PM

Thanks H2 Miami! I will look for the other post that talks about installing that diode. I have not seen it yet.
Thanks again.

Old 10-21-2015, 08:37 PM
Old 10-22-2015, 01:00 AM

LED headlights, DRL's, mini grill LED's, LED's in my fog light bar on skid plate and I just swapped all of my roof rack lights with LED bars.

Name:  20141109_064036.jpg
Views: 3100
Size:  49.1 KB

I did the DRL mod so my DRL's are on at all times, during the day as normal and they also stay on when the headlights are on.

You would need these to fit in the DRL spot:

Amazon.com: Led Village Round 18w Flood LED Work ATV Off Road Light Lamp Fog Driving for 4x4 Offroad SUV Car Jeep Truck Trailer Tractor ATV UTV: Automotive Amazon.com: Led Village Round 18w Flood LED Work ATV Off Road Light Lamp Fog Driving for 4x4 Offroad SUV Car Jeep Truck Trailer Tractor ATV UTV: Automotive

Now that does require cutting the mounting portion off so the housing is a circle to fit in the bumper. I then removed the factory wire plug and soldered the light wires directly to the pins, heatshrinked it all up. These lights have 4 mounting holes on the rear. If you buy some threaded rod, lock nuts, and washers you can make your own studs and use the stock mounting holes to mount the lights-no cutting, drilling, or hacking up the stock bumper.

My headlights are 24 volt military trucklites given to me by a member for helping him out with some issues he was having with his rig. Really stand up guy in my book. However, recently I bought some new LED headlights that I haven't gotten to mess with yet.

Now let me correct some information given. I would not personally waste money on higher wattage bulbs, they are expensive and do not last long due to the higher wattage. HID's are far from $1,000 unless you are talking about STARR's which is a huge waste of money. You can retro fit an HID kit into the stock housings for less than $100.

However, tharber is correct. HID's in stock reflector housings in most states are illegal but the cops generally don't know what they're looking for so unless you're running a crazy color temp it generally isn't a concern. BUT, reflector housings are not designed to correctly reflect an HID beam as the capsule fires the beam upward and not horizontal like a halogen which results in massive glare to oncoming drivers.

There are many LED headlights on the market now for $200 upwards of over $1k. I have a pair of Philips LED heads sitting in my garage I still need to mess with.

Be extremely cautions when doing the diode mod. You MUST ensure the diode is correctly oriented because if you get it backwards you can fry a multitude of components. It happened to one member a while back and we all concluded that it was installed backwards. Just follow the directions exactly and you'll be fine with that.

Any other questions you have post them up and we'll help you out!

Old 10-22-2015, 08:01 AM

Hi Lojac

I haven't had achance to check LED in headlights in person but I wouldn't waste $ unless I know what exactly I'm buying. There is a lot of crap in the market
The led bulbs I'm using now are not high intensity but they had a projector in front which improve the output
I can't said if these bulbs are going to last longer cause only using for couple months but seems great quality

The previous hid kit last for 4 years in perfect conditions . The ballast start to gets rusty the only reason I replaced ... HID kits has been in market for many years now without majors issues

Like you said HID are illegal however if used in the OEM house and adjust it little down the glare is almost none . Btw how is the projection/glare for the HID

@OP
I think you can't go wrong with any options .HID kit. Retro fit or LED . either way will be an improved to the factory ugly poor yellow lights

Btw do not spend a dime in "white halogen Sylvania bulbs" @$60 it is a waste of money . I only use those if going in a long road trip

Quick Reply: H2 ADVISE 4 LED HEADLIGHTS AND DRLs