PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H1 snorkel

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 07:02 PM
Default H1 snorkel

Do all H1's have snorkels? Why are some tall and some about flush with the hood? I have been looking into upgrading my H2 to a H1 for a few weeks and up until today I never noticed thelittle vent by the snorkel.

Old 09-15-2008, 08:26 PM
Default RE: H1 snorkel

any snorkel above 4"s IMHO is just for show. The H1 can't go through tons of water, so having it at the roof is a waste and difficult to see around. The 4" helps out when you have snow on the hood, bow wave above your hood etc.... works great.... stock, is probably to low, esp if you park out in the snow.... sucks it all up when you start the truck up.... I have seen the stock cap and snow choke an engine just about off....

Old 09-15-2008, 09:20 PM

I wouldn't worry about snow at all. The snorkel is more for waves that braking over the hood (bow waves), or extremely deep water.

When my truck had the oem intake (flush with the hood), I would go through snow drifts over the hood. I got the short snorkel, two piece, coated it with rhino liner. I have had water over the hood, bow waves, etc. Best $400 the truck has ever had. Now if the rear window would keep out the water.... [:@]

Nick

Old 09-15-2008, 09:27 PM

So if I live in a snowy place like say Buffalo, NY (thats where I live) I should get a 4" snorkel? We tend to get a lot of snow out this way. If I start the truck up with snow on the hood the flush snorkel will suck in snow and thats bad right?

Old 09-15-2008, 10:51 PM

Never had a problem with snow on the stock intake, we get lake effect from Lake Michigan, and the truck wasn't parked inside.

Nick

Old 09-15-2008, 11:39 PM

thanks nick

Old 09-16-2008, 12:25 AM
Super Moderator

Magnum Offroad in Vista, CA sells the 4" snorkel with pre-cleaner.

Old 09-16-2008, 06:52 AM

I have experienced at least 5+ trucks having issues with the stock setup due to snow. The snow gets sucked into the air cleaner if its not wiped away, and or it gets in from going through large snow drifts.... then melts in the air cleaner - or just sits there - and I have seen it choke the engine off, to where the only engine speed the engine would run was at idle, and anything off idle was pure black smoke. The air cleaner was a popsicle when removed......

snow is an issue for the stock height - IMHO.......

Old 09-16-2008, 10:00 AM

I live in an area with a lot of snow, FWIW I never had a problem when I had the stock air intake cap installed, even in very heavy (deep) snowfall.

A 4" snorkel will help for deep water crossings, but I disagree about anything taller being "just for show" I have a taller extension that goes near the top of the windshield and I have dipped that deeper than the mark for a short 4" extension numerous times; when the passenger front tire dips into a hole, and when entering deep water and producing an initial bow wave the water can come up as high as halfway up the windshield at times. A 4" is better than nothing for fording, but you will still run the risk of swallowing water if you unexpectedly dip more than you planned to if you are bothering to put one on, I would go at least 8-10" tall extension to be safe.

That said, that taller snorkel won't do what a true deep fording kit can do as far as sustained depth water crossings I think that is the point that Phazer was trying to make.

BTW, PVC pipe and a 4" rubber coupler will work great for making a snorkel - no need to spend big money if you are concerned about function only. You can even keep it in the truck and install it when faced with deep water crossings only if you want.

Old 09-16-2008, 12:37 PM

ORIGINAL: hmcoleap

That said, that taller snorkel won't do what a true deep fording kit can do as far as sustained depth water crossings I think that is the point that Phazer was trying to make.
yup.... and if you can't tell, its a personal opinion as to what the height is, but I think you will find that most folks that wheel their trucks concur that you need to raise it.

Quick Reply: H1 snorkel