PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Grill - screening options?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 03:01 PM
Default Grill - screening options?

Hi everybody...I've been lurking since I've been H3 shopping but figure it was time to join since I took the plunge just over a week ago.

I've searched but haven't been able to find any details regarding protecting the radiator behind the H3 grill.Since the grill is so open, it takes only one trip out in the country and if nothing else, the rad is covered inmoths, butterflies, and other random bugs. Things tend to run a little hot with all those pests plastered against the rad...and I hope every trip that a stonedoesn't jump up off the road and stick into my radiator.

Has anyone come across some sort of screen or other protection which can be installed behind/to the grill to reduce the build-up and possible damage to the rad? I am either not searching very well, or just have yet to come across anything. I'm currently thinking I may have to purchase some "tuner car"-type aluminum mesh and fab something up.

Thanks,
HamrHead

Old 08-27-2007, 05:48 PM
Default RE: Grill - screening options?

Most all vehicles have an exposed radiator grille to some degree. My CJ5 has a wide open grille and I've never had a problem with overheating unless it was totally caked with debris. When you screen a grille it just presents another medium for crap to get stuck in and it also cuts down on air flow because it is a screen. In Florida we used to use screens to cover our radiators during Love Bug season but the dang screen would just clog up worse than the radiator fins. Solution? Just blow it out with a hose from the engine side the next time you have the hood open.

Old 08-27-2007, 09:33 PM
Super Moderator

They sell mesh grill (kits) inserts on ebay? I don't think I'd do one, but check em out? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HUMME...QQcmdZViewItem

Old 08-28-2007, 09:44 PM

Bugs fall and wash off. Screen or protection permanently restricts air flow. The H3 will run hot off road even with the grill open so why make it worse by clogging the air flow further? Take it from some one who has been there and done that already