PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Goodbye, sweet Lightbar, Hello better mileage

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 06:45 PM
Default RE: Goodbye, sweet Lightbar, Hello better mileage

ORIGINAL: RutDogg

I must be the only H3 owner in the world who doesn't think the original stance of the H3 needs to be messed with (unless it's for bigger tires).
It’s a matter of personal preference I suppose.

Based on what I see on the street here in Dallas, RutDogg you are in the majority and I am in the minority.

I've seen (personally) only a couple of leveled rigs with off road tires and wheels. Most are street rides.

For the most part, if it says Hummer on it and doesn’t embarrass the name plate, I like ‘em all.

Old 02-11-2007, 07:43 PM
Super Moderator

I have had my torsion bars adjusted 3 different ways/turns, and my alignment has been perfect, so I'm not too worried about it. I just thought maybe I'd do it for testing purposes. I like to see what I can do with it. I'll burn through a few tanks and see what affect the light bar did, and then I MIGHT take down the front a little. We'll see. IT would be interesting to find out though, and knowing my experimenting, I'll probably end up doing it. It can't hurt anything as long as I keep a record of it, but I seriously doubt it would change the air flow that much to make a difference. Now the light bar was a big long rectangular bar that did cause a difference. I took it off once when I got my PCM tuned to measure the mileage and put it back on again. I can tell you there is a difference. I doubt that front end would matter much, but you never know.

Old 02-11-2007, 07:55 PM

Well, if you do end up taking it down for the experiment, PLEASE let me know your findings.

Like I said, that was my personal experience.....I'd love to know if anyone else could tell a difference.
I can't figure out what else could have caused that drastic a drop in MPG.
No changes in driving habits....I'm either stopped or doing 75..........

Oh well, keep me posted will ya?

Old 02-11-2007, 08:03 PM
Super Moderator

Definitely. I'll know by the time I get home tomorrow if I'm getting better mileage without that bar. Then maybe this coming weekend I'll get the old 1 1/16 socket out and lower the front end.

Old 02-11-2007, 11:43 PM

I have leveled mine, changed tires to a more aggressive tread, but stayed with the stock size, added the factory brush guard, UBC and rock rails, and finally a full Gobi roof rack and ladder. All of this was done in stages, although the UBC, rock rails, and brush guard were added the same day. The only noticeable impact on mileage was when I added the roof rack, and that was only about a 1-1.5 MPG loss. I monitor my fuel economy every fuel up, and try to go to the same pump for consistancy. For the first two to three weeks I didn't have the wind deflector on the roof rack, and the only impact that had was more wind noise.

Old 02-12-2007, 10:07 AM
Super Moderator

Well, I took the light bar off, drove it 50 miles to work, and it made a huge difference as far as road noise. I don't have annoying wind noise anymore. I haven't had my H3 that quiet in over a year. I don't think I'm ever going to put anything on the roof again.

As far as mileage is concerned, it's really too early to tell since it snowed last night and I wasn't driving with my regular habits today.

I DID notice however that my plastics are all spaced out and uneven on the roof. It looks like I have that problem everybody else had with the big gaps in the plastics. They actually shrunk, and I'm not talking normal seasonal contracting, these things have major 1/4" gaps between them.

Looks like it will be another trip to the dealer this weekend, AGAIN, but this time I'll take it to HummerMike

Old 02-12-2007, 08:09 PM

I didn't know that it made that big of a difference.

Old 02-13-2007, 02:56 PM
Super Moderator

Actually it has in the past 2 days, and not just with the mileage, but the amount of noise. It's gone down about 40 db's inside the H3. I have to get the roof rails replaced on Saturday anyway, so it's a good thing I took the light bar off. I would have never seen how bad the rails were cracked.

I'm also switching to premium because it makes the engine run quieter, and since it's tune for it anyway, if I have it that smooth and silent, I'll see just how far I can go with it.

After that, I'll play around with the front end and lower it a bit, and see if the mileage really increses or not. YOu know me by now, always tinkering!

Old 02-14-2007, 01:27 AM

ORIGINAL: RutDogg

I must be the only H3 owner in the world who doesn't think the original stance of the H3 needs to be messed with (unless it's for bigger tires).
Nope... for too think the H3 looks meaner as is...imo.

Old 02-14-2007, 10:50 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Gunner_45

Well, if you do end up taking it down for the experiment, PLEASE let me know your findings.

Like I said, that was my personal experience.....I'd love to know if anyone else could tell a difference.
I can't figure out what else could have caused that drastic a drop in MPG.
No changes in driving habits....I'm either stopped or doing 75..........

Oh well, keep me posted will ya?
Hey Gunner: I can tell you there is quite a bit of difference without the bar on there. My mileage has gone I would estimate at least 1 to 2 MPG so far, although I can't be 100% sure yet because I want to burn through this tank of premium and switch back to regular. I think I had some carbon buildup on my injectors so I had to run a tank of premium with injector cleaner to clean them. I think my idle problems went away after that.

I can tell you this though: Yesterday I drove to work an back, about 100 miles round trip, most of the time in 3rd gear, and got 100 miles on 1/4 tank. That's what I was getting going between 65 and 70 in 5th gear normally, so I'm assuming that I'm getting better mileage just with that factor. I noticed it bettering off after I took it off, but I only had less then half a tank. Once all this damn snow melts and the roads are clear it will be easier to figure out. Right now it stinks unfortunately. I'm taking a trip to the dealer on Saturday morning which is 60 miles away, so if I can make it there and back home on 1/4 tank, I'll know I'm doing better. I'll have to post Sat. afternoon what I find.

Quick Reply: Goodbye, sweet Lightbar, Hello better mileage