PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

IS THIS A GOOD DEAL????

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 10:08 PM
Default RE: IS THIS A GOOD DEAL????

ORIGINAL: ZYNE

...That would equate to approx $170 dollars worth of markup ($280 for the FIPK, $55 for the install = roughly $330) which on a 280 dollar product is an absolute ...

Same thing on the exhaust, say 2 hours of labor if the mechanic is totally green and can't spell socket wrench properly. $110 on the install, $380 on the product and you got approx $500. Add what, 10-20 bucks in shop supplies and we got ourselves about $850 dollars worth of parts, labor, and supplies. They are wanting to charge him almost 50% more than that ...

While I understand we all got to live, the markup they slapped on that "deal" won't make them any money ..

2 things:

1. If this were a 'vette, we'd refer to this as the infamous Corvette Tax. Since it's a Hummer we'll call it the Hummer Tax.

2. Kild1 said, "a shop has to markup their parts for resale if not they wont make it in busniess long." If a shop needs to severly overcharge on a simple project to stay in business, then he might be in the wrong business. I'm all for local support - I don't eat at chain restaurants, I try not to buy off the internet or shop at large retail stores when there is small, locally owned alternative, etc. - and I know that I pay a premium for this. However, I have relationships with these people and I know they wouldn't overcharge me beyond what is reasonable. Sure, I pay more at my local hardware store than I would at Home Depot, but I know that when I can't figuire it out, then the guy at the local hardware store won't just shrug his shoulders. The point is that sometimes there's value in paying more to the local guy than buying on the internet or at the big chain retailer. However, there has to be a limit. If it were me, this guy's prices are beyond that limit. More offensive than his prices, though, is him telling you that he's making you a deal. Clearly that's not a "deal" and you should let him know that you're offended by the notion that you don't know the difference between a deal and a hole in the wall.

Just me $1.50 worth...

...oh, you expected it to be $.02? Well, I couldn't charge that and make a profit and stay in business...

Old 06-25-2007, 02:26 AM

zyne 55/hr is cheap very cheap
the most of thedealers here in memphis are at 90 to 100/hr
we are 65/hr and are the cheapest around
it helps that we have been open for over 23 years and 6 years before that in an exxon station

ur right no shop should rape a customer
most shops have a 60% mark-up on parts
i adjust my mark-up on each part i buy to give the customer a fair price
when buyin through the dealer we get 10% off retail and charge the customer retail price (the price they would pay if they went
to the dealer and bought the part themself)
but the dealer has no labor warranty on parts bought there
napa & autozone has a labor warranty usally 40 bucks per hr
on parts we buy from them

autozone give no price break to shops
we pay the same thing a walk in pays for parts
but police and firemen get like 10% off at AZ
kinda crazy that a guy who buys 8k to 10k in parts a month gets no break on parts
thats why im a napa carcare center now

Old 06-25-2007, 02:51 AM

ORIGINAL: kild1

it helps that we have been open for over 23 years and 6 years before that in an exxon station

when buyin through the dealer we get 10% off retail and charge the customer retail price (the price they would pay if they went

kinda crazy that a guy who buys 8k to 10k in parts a month gets no break on parts
Name:  giggle.gif
Views: 32
Size:  1.8 KB

Old 06-25-2007, 12:16 PM

ORIGINAL: kild1

I think the hourly rates may vary from dealer to dealer .. I know the rates at the Dodge dealer I was a customer of before was at $65/hour so ... Regardless .. the pricing they have extended him is insulting at best. I bet you I could beat both costs and the labor charges through my dealer any day of the week and twice on Sunday. With this said I wouldn't touch their pricing with a 10 foot pole on something like this, just for the fact that even they mark up the cost some on the parts too.

And whether dealing with the big chains or the little local guy is good or bad, I find your attitude honorable Eric. I for one look at the bottom line and there's no way in hell I'll spend $369.99 on a part I can get for $279.99 online. Sure, it will help out the local guy, but no matter how you look at it, you're income to him and I can guarantee you that the committment you have towards him/the business is a one way street and the second your money isn't involved in the equation ... well, lets just say they are in business to do just that, business .. and to be quite honest ... I logically do not see the reason to spend more than you have to just to avoid online retailers or big chains. It's ultimately a savings to you which is noticed in YOUR pocket ... I'll take the savings personally. That leaves me more $ left over to spend on other, far more important things!

Old 06-25-2007, 11:35 PM

And whether dealing with the big chains or the little local guy is good or bad, I find your attitude honorable Eric. I for one look at the bottom line and there's no way in hell I'll spend $369.99 on a part I can get for $279.99 online. Sure, it will help out the local guy, but no matter how you look at it, you're income to him and I can guarantee you that the committment you have towards him/the business is a one way street and the second your money isn't involved in the equation ... well, lets just say they are in business to do just that, business .. and to be quite honest ... I logically do not see the reason to spend more than you have to just to avoid online retailers or big chains. It's ultimately a savings to you which is noticed in YOUR pocket ... I'll take the savings personally. That leaves me more $ left over to spend on other, far more important things!
I could launch into a whole diatribe about the idea that what goes around comes around and how we've put that idea into practice and have seen substantial returns as a result, but this might not be the place for it.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about. I have a vette and I've been known to spend a few bucks on it now and then with simple, relatively inexpensive,cosmetic mods. When I choose to spend what few bucks the wife lets me have, I always go to a guy that I trust is going to take care of me. Yea,he's a little more than everyone else, but he always takes care of me. A few months ago I bought a set of stainless steel letter inserts from him for about $10 more than I could have paid online (and we're onlytalking about a $60 part here). Last week I lost one of the letters - it fell off my car. When I went back to them to buy a new set of letters - only needing one of them - they opened a package and gave me the letter I lost and wouldn't let me buy the package. Okay, yea we're talking little stuff here, but had I bought it online I would've had to buy a whole set to replace the one letter. So, yea I spent $10 more, but I saved $60 in the long run. More importantly, he proved yet again why I should keep going back to them. Earlier this year I was telling him what I wanted to do to the under-hood dress up stuff. Rather than selling me the $1200 in stuff to get close towhat I wanted, he pointed me in the direction ofan eBay store that had exactly what I wanted - and for less than $700. If it was all about the money, he would have bought the stuff from the eBay guy and sold it to me for the $1200 I planned on spending. But I know I've developed a relationship with someone I can trust is always going to take care of me.

I could go on and on, but you'd get bored quickly - I tell stories better in person than I do in writing

Old 06-26-2007, 07:58 AM

I see your point Eric...at least in the Chrome letters instance, you made out head and shoulders above online buying..but this is not always the case..so sometimes it's a win-win and than sometimes it's a win lose...you just have to weigh the possiblities..

Case in point..(I'm a prudent shopper by the way)..I searched high and low for a tire deal for my Jaguar and looked everywhere in town and on-line...Thanks to advise from Mark (dilo) I was able to find and get the tire I was looking for for 1/3 less the price on line, than locally..the Tire guy that would have sold me the exact same tires for nearly $80.00 more, was still happy to mount and balance them for me...why? you ask..Because like you said..regardless of the sale and whereI bought my tires, I had established a long time friendly relationship with him and still got the same goodservice regardless.

Old 06-26-2007, 10:41 AM

ORIGINAL: ericstanley

I could launch into a whole diatribe about the idea that what goes around comes around and how we've put that idea into practice and have seen substantial returns as a result, but this might not be the place for it.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about. I have a vette and I've been known to spend a few bucks on it now and then with simple, relatively inexpensive,cosmetic mods. When I choose to spend what few bucks the wife lets me have, I always go to a guy that I trust is going to take care of me. Yea,he's a little more than everyone else, but he always takes care of me. A few months ago I bought a set of stainless steel letter inserts from him for about $10 more than I could have paid online (and we're onlytalking about a $60 part here). Last week I lost one of the letters - it fell off my car. When I went back to them to buy a new set of letters - only needing one of them - they opened a package and gave me the letter I lost and wouldn't let me buy the package. Okay, yea we're talking little stuff here, but had I bought it online I would've had to buy a whole set to replace the one letter. So, yea I spent $10 more, but I saved $60 in the long run. More importantly, he proved yet again why I should keep going back to them. Earlier this year I was telling him what I wanted to do to the under-hood dress up stuff. Rather than selling me the $1200 in stuff to get close towhat I wanted, he pointed me in the direction ofan eBay store that had exactly what I wanted - and for less than $700. If it was all about the money, he would have bought the stuff from the eBay guy and sold it to me for the $1200 I planned on spending. But I know I've developed a relationship with someone I can trust is always going to take care of me.

I could go on and on, but you'd get bored quickly - I tell stories better in person than I do in writing

LOL, fair enough ... I don't tell stories too well at all ... anyhow ... I do see your point and I'm not arguing it one bit. Some things I will pay retail for through a dealership or a local retailer, assuming there's a benefit in it for me to do so. I don't do charity work in the retail sector ...there are plenty of charitable causes out there I'd rathersee my money go to and someone elses retirement unfortunately is not one of them :-)
An example for you, I just bought me a new set of Oakley's, they retailed for $339.99 at the local mom and pop's store I usually go to. 1 year send-in warranty, pouch, the little Oakley coin thing, right. I ended up getting a far better deal elsewhere, more than 30% worth of"better", still the same 1 year send-in warranty, same pouch and coin, just at a $219.98 shipped price tag. Now, should I have picked the local mom and pops store in case I have a problem with the glasses? The warranty is the sa