PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GM Protection Plan- Major Guard

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 03:56 PM
Default GM Protection Plan- Major Guard

Hello all,

I had a question about the warranty provided via Protection Plan for the 2007 H3 I purchased yesterday. I noticed that the cost for it was around 2800.00 posted on my invoice for the car added to the amount financed. The dealer never asked if I wanted this but it was added into the total cost and from what I have read it's just an extended warranty.

My question: I read that this can be terminated within 60 days if you no longer wanted this service. I have been back and forth about it because if I choose to keep it it ensures warranty for the next 30,000 miles, etc and a few other features. However, I would be paying interest on it for the term and I wanted to know if anyone else opted to add this with their purchase and if they think it is a waste or something to hold on to.

Any help would be appreciated and any opinions would also be appreciated. I'm unsure as to what my best bet would be. Thanks

Pat

Old 06-06-2010, 04:39 PM

I dont think they can just "add" that to your bill of sale, you had to sign for it at some point. Sales man just didnt play fair. Yes, you can cancel it. That seems like alot for the GmPP. Ive seen prices of $1500 for the same plan. Also, GMPP will break it up over 12 months on a debit card for you, and thats no interest. You need to cancel asap, if you wait, they will only take it off your last payments. If you cancel now, they still have time to modify your financing to reflect the 2800 difference.

Your truck being an 07 has 100k mile power train wrnty, and 50k on everything else.

If you have questions, PM me

Old 06-06-2010, 05:01 PM

Thank you very much. I just didn't look carefully enough at the bill of sale to see that was added.

I'll give the dealership a call in the morning and get this all settled. We actually are suppose to pick the car up tomorrow so we can get everything squared away.

As far as cancelling, would they pull the amount out of the bill and then I would have to resign the papers, or would they see it as a credit and cut us a check?

Thanks for the help! Pat

Old 06-06-2010, 08:01 PM
Default Gmpp

I work at a gm dealership as an F & I director, First off the finance guy should have asked you how many miles per year that you drive, as to sell you the gmpp that fits your needs. Make no mistake, The GMPP is the best Coverage available anywhere at any price, Period.. Check the coverage that he sold you, I dont know how many miles you drive per year or I would give you some advice, if you look at your paper work post up how many miles per yr you drive and which months/miles gmpp he sold you. Just make sure before you cancel that is what you want to do. When you do gm will not resale a gmpp under that same vin. There is no way I would buy a h3 with the conditions like they are right now and not buy a gmpp, it just makes good business sense.

Old 06-06-2010, 09:00 PM

I'm reading my bill of sale now; Vehicle Service Agreement is in the amount of 2,395.00 and the coverage I see is for 2 years/30,000 miles.

I mean it seems like a good program. It just was never brought to my attention as to what I would want in regards, it was just stated on my bill of sale in which I signed.

What do you think?

Old 06-06-2010, 09:06 PM

is it a major guard gmpp first, thenhow much is the deductible, how many miles a year do you drive, and how long do you plan on keeping it

Old 06-06-2010, 09:13 PM

It is a Major Guard GM Protection Plan, deductible is 200.00

I drive around 15,000- 20,000 miles a year estimated.

I do plan on keeping the car for awhile, as long as it will hold up!

Old 06-06-2010, 09:23 PM

you definately dont want a $200.00 ded, that is a rip off, the difference between a $200 ded and a $100 or a $ is almost nothing. how many miles are on the car you are buying and I will let you know what you should pay in the morning.

Old 06-06-2010, 09:34 PM

Just turned 46,000 miles. I appreciate all the help, let me know! Thanks.

Old 06-07-2010, 12:42 AM

I just bought a 2008 Alpha last week for my daughter. I got the major guard since I am military and will be moving 2200 miles from where she will be in college and wanted the additional warranty for 4+ years of college. For a lot less than they charged you I got a 5 yr/75,000 mile plan. The F+I guy thought I was not going to bite and dropped the $350 surcharge. The 2008 vs 2007 might have an effect, but I think you can do better.

Quick Reply: GM Protection Plan- Major Guard