PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting behind the dash.

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 07:01 PM
Question Getting behind the dash.

What is the trick to taking of the big face plate on the dash. The one that encompasses the radio, heat/ac controls an the two power outlets? I figured I would ask before I just go prying around and break something.

Reason why I'm asking is, I want to drop the power lead from my Garmin GPS down through the top of the dashboard via the middle mount point. I would like to wire it directly to the power outlet feed. This way it looks clean and I don't have to worry about using one of my power outlets.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanx

Old 05-31-2009, 08:37 PM

All the posts I've read say to start at the power outlets, pry it out some using those & work your way around. I think there are some good posts w/ pics on CHO

Old 06-02-2009, 06:26 AM

The dash panel is held in place via press fit metal tabs only. Two at the top, two at the bottom, and a few along each side. We normaly start toward the top because we can get a better grip near the air vent ports. We try and avoid using pry tools, but if it is neccessary, make sure to protect the edges of the dash with a towel. Work from one side to the next and give things a gentle pull to loosen the tabs. Once removed, the panel will simply pop back into place when you are ready to re install.

The radio is mounted to the dash frame, however, the 4wd controls, emergency light switch housing, air controls, rear wiper switch, and 12v lighter adapters are mounted to the panel itself. These all have simple push to release tabs for the wiring. It is a good idea to make sure these are disconected and reconected without the vehical running or powered up. Specifically the 4wd wiring. I have never had a problem discconecting this modual. But it will register on the dash that you need to have the 4wd module serviced if you unplug it with the power on. It goes away, but probably keeps a record of the "failure" in the BCM.

There is a ton of space behind the radio for wiring, so you should be good there. You will need a phillips head screwdriver and a 7mm socket head to pull the radio out.

Good luck!