PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

gear soinding noise in front drive line

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2016, 11:11 AM
Default gear soinding noise in front drive line

Hey guys and gals,
I have a strange noise coming front the front drive line at slow speeds. Its not real loud and when I get moving faster I can't hear it, it just might seem to go away because of the regular sounded of driving faster around it out .
It sounds like gears to me. I can't tell what part of the drive line its coming front but its definitely from the front of the truck. PLEASE help me out with this before something comes apart ! thanks lockup7

Old 04-04-2016, 07:27 AM
Default transfer case noise ?

Originally Posted by lockup7
Hey guys and gals,
I have a strange noise coming front the front drive line at slow speeds. Its not real loud and when I get moving faster I can't hear it, it just might seem to go away because of the regular sounded of driving faster around it out .
It sounds like gears to me. I can't tell what part of the drive line its coming front but its definitely from the front of the truck. PLEASE help me out with this before something comes apart ! thanks lockup7
On further review I put transfer case in lo lock and it feels like its slipping ??? what could this be?

Old 04-04-2016, 07:58 AM

Hey guys and gals,
Just remembered! IDID HAVE SOMETHING HAPPEN ABOUT A YEAR AGO , I WAS AT MY BANK TURNING INTO THE DRIVE THRU AND IT FELT LKIEVSOMETHING WAS BINDING UP , SOMETHING IN THE FRONT END MADE A HUGE BANG THEN IT RELEASED AND IT ROLLED FREELY.
IM GETTING READY TO SELL BUT I DONT WANT TO SELL IT TO SOMEONE IF ITS GOING TO BREAK DOWN , PLEASE HELP !

Old 04-04-2016, 09:09 AM

feels like its slipping
slipping?, or reving fast
?
in low lock u r in a very low gear and it revs up going slow.
the "big bang" might have been the chain drive in the t case jumping the gears in lock mode.
sounds like you have been in the wrong mode often. just a guess but could be damage it t case chain etc.

Old 04-04-2016, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by happythree
slipping?, or reving fast
?
in low lock u r in a very low gear and it revs up going slow.
the "big bang" might have been the chain drive in the t case jumping the gears in lock mode.
sounds like you have been in the wrong mode often. just a guess but could be damage it t case chain etc.
It seems like the transmission is slipping when I put it in 4low , the engine will rev up , truck will move forward but I have to hit a much higher rpm then it will feel like it engages and the truck will move as it should . It don't do this in regular drive or in 4high.
I only engaged 4low once since I had the truck and it reacted totally different, more positive engagement than what it's doing now. What do you think ?

Old 04-04-2016, 12:58 PM
Super Moderator

It seems like the transmission is slipping when I put it in 4low , the engine will rev up , truck will move forward but I have to hit a much higher rpm then it will feel like it engages and the truck will move as it should . It don't do this in regular drive or in 4high.
I only engaged 4low once since I had the truck and it reacted totally different, more positive engagement than what it's doing now. What do you think ?
I think it is in Low, and it is NORMAL. Since the gear range is drastically lower it will take a bunch more skinny pedal to move the truck.

There is nothing about switching T Case gear range that would cause the Transmission to slip, the Trans is doing the same function, just the output is being changed through the T Case. How often have you used the vehicle in Low range? Probably not much - zero?

What is regular drive or 4 High?

Your T Case has 4 functions: 1) High range open; 2) High range locked; 3) Neutral; and, 4) Low range locked. High range locked & Low Locked are not for use on dry pavement, neutral is if you need a tow, and 4 High is where it should be for everything else.

Old 04-04-2016, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
I think it is in Low, and it is NORMAL. Since the gear range is drastically lower it will take a bunch more skinny pedal to move the truck.

There is nothing about switching T Case gear range that would cause the Transmission to slip, the Trans is doing the same function, just the output is being changed through the T Case. How often have you used the vehicle in Low range? Probably not much - zero?

What is regular drive or 4 High?

Your T Case has 4 functions: 1) High range open; 2) High range locked; 3) Neutral; and, 4) Low range locked. High range locked & Low Locked are not for use on dry pavement, neutral is if you need a tow, and 4 High is where it should be for everything else.
4low is the only hear that has a problem, all others are fine with the exception of the "gear/ whine" sound that I can hear at around 5 mph .
When I put it in 4 low I can feel it engage but when I accelerate the engine revs up but the truck moves very slow. Now I understand this is normal for that gear but if I accelerate harder the truck lunges forward like "as if" it were a transmission problem but the "transmission " itself is in good working order.
I see that there is a clutch system in the transfer case, and I read that there is a special way to fill the transfer case by pulling the speed sensor . I wonder is the transfer case could be low on fluid and this could be the reason for the noise and lag or slip I'm feeling ?

Old 04-05-2016, 09:32 AM

4low is the only hear that has a problem, all others are fine with the exception of the "gear/ whine" sound that I can hear at around 5 mph .
When I put it in 4 low I can feel it engage but when I accelerate the engine revs up but the truck moves very slow. Now I understand this is normal for that gear but if I accelerate harder the truck lunges forward like "as if" it were a transmission problem but the "transmission " itself is in good working order.
I see that there is a clutch system in the transfer case, and I read that there is a special way to fill the transfer case by pulling the speed sensor . I wonder is the transfer case could be low on fluid and this could be the reason for the noise and lag or slip I'm feeling ?
You're overthinking this; 4LO is SUPPOSED to feel completely different, since it is geared extremely low (especially if you have the off-road package with the 4:1 TC instead of the standard 2.6:1 TC). When you accelerate, the engine revs up but the truck moves very slow: Exactly what is supposed to happen because of the low TC gearing. When you accelerate harder, the truck "lunges" forward. No, it feels like it lunges because it is shifting into 2nd gear. Again, exactly what is supposed to happen. Because the final gearing in 4LO is extremely low, ANY changes are felt much more significantly. The transmission shifting from 1st to 2nd is just such a change. There is nothing out of the ordinary with what you are describing; it is exactly what every 4wd vehicle with a low range TC and an automatic transmission feels/acts like.

Last edited by 650Hawk; 04-05-2016 at 09:38 AM.
Old 04-05-2016, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by 650Hawk
You're overthinking this; 4LO is SUPPOSED to feel completely different, since it is geared extremely low (especially if you have the off-road package with the 4:1 TC instead of the standard 2.6:1 TC). When you accelerate, the engine revs up but the truck moves very slow: Exactly what is supposed to happen because of the low TC gearing. When you accelerate harder, the truck "lunges" forward. No, it feels like it lunges because it is shifting into 2nd gear. Again, exactly what is supposed to happen. Because the final gearing in 4LO is extremely low, ANY changes are felt much more significantly. The transmission shifting from 1st to 2nd is just such a change. There is nothing out of the ordinary with what you are describing; it is exactly what every 4wd vehicle with a low range TC and an automatic transmission feels/acts like.
I took it over to My friends shop yesterday and let him go through it , he thinks the clutch pack is shot . When you accelerate the clutches are slipping when you give it more gas it acts like a bad trans rev and then it grabs .

Old 04-05-2016, 01:05 PM
Super Moderator

I took it over to My friends shop yesterday and let him go through it , he thinks the clutch pack is shot . When you accelerate the clutches are slipping when you give it more gas it acts like a bad trans rev and then it grabs .
If it does not slip in 4 High, it ain't gonna slip in 4 Lo Lock, the only thing you changed is the T Case gear range, the Trans does not know the difference.

Do you know anybody else with an H3, go drive it and compare. Ask your friend how many H3s he has tested in Low. You are complaining about the 1-2 A/T shift in low and describing NORMAL.

You asked, and you have been given some fairly thorough explanations about what you do not understand. You want to spend money fixin what ain't broke, have at it.

Quick Reply: gear soinding noise in front drive line