PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fuse hookup?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 11:09 PM
Default fuse hookup?

I am in the process of installing my backup camera on my 03 H2. I was originally planing on powering the camera from the trailer harness. I am now thinking of powering it from a fuse under the dash. I was going to join it to the fuse for the rear wiper. Does anyone know if I would have a problem if I just put the power wire in along with the fuse? and ground the black wire? This way I would have power to the camera when the truck is turned on. Thanks

Old 03-10-2008, 02:48 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: fuse hookup?

Jamming the wire in with the fuse is a bad habit that has burnt vehicles to the ground. It is much safer to either tap a wire and add the fuseor run it from the battery with a fuse.

The extra $2 you will spend doing it the right way is worth it.

With that said... IMHO the second best way is to tap the 12v plug in the cargo area.

Old 03-10-2008, 10:33 PM

Hey Muddydawg! The only problem with tapping into the 12v in the cargo area is that it has constant power even when the truck is off.My camera would always be on and draining power. Do you know of something I can tap into that only has power when the key is on? Thanks ps This camera has night vision with IF lights on either side. Do you think this would draw much power if it were on all the time?

Old 03-11-2008, 04:10 PM

Use the reverse light power wire it's light green

Old 03-11-2008, 06:33 PM
Super Moderator

Good idea....

I sometimes forget the differences in my Garmin only turning on the camera when the truck is in reverse...[&o]

Old 03-11-2008, 08:33 PM

If I tap into the reverse lights power wire won,t the camera only work when the truck is in reverse? I would ideally like to have power to the camera at all times that the key is on. Truck on-power to the camera. Truck off-no power to the camera. Thanks again for the help guys!!

Old 03-14-2008, 04:40 PM

ORIGINAL: dizzy

If I tap into the reverse lights power wire won,t the camera only work when the truck is in reverse? I would ideally like to have power to the camera at all times that the key is on. Truck on-power to the camera. Truck off-no power to the camera. Thanks again for the help guys!!
Yes....then a switch could be used for looking back at the FJ's[8D]

Old 03-14-2008, 05:50 PM
Super Moderator

So you want to tap into an acessory circuit then?

Old 03-14-2008, 08:48 PM

I am thinking of running the power wire for the camera directly to a fuse under the dash. I finally found a fuse tap for the mini fuse that the hummer uses. I will see if I can use the rear wiper fuse to tap into. Hopefully this will have power only at key on. I am off work this week and will have time to play around with it.

Old 03-14-2008, 08:49 PM

use this!!!!!!!!!!!!!! must i do everything around here?

Name:  addacircuit.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  5.6 KB

replaces a fuse in the fuse panel with two fusesand an additional power lead.

Quick Reply: fuse hookup?