PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Funny thing happened on the way down the driveway this morning.....

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 11:37 AM
Super Moderator
Default Funny thing happened on the way down the driveway this morning.....

I hit the brakes, and they went to the floor. I hit them again, and they were fine. I almost thought I hit the clutch instead. That is the first time I have had brake problems. It was fine after that. It's in the garage so it's not that cold. Hopefully it was just a fluke of some kind.

Old 01-10-2007, 11:59 AM
Default RE: Funny thing happened on the way down the driveway this morning.....

MASTER CYLINDER..needs replacing....NOW!!!!

Old 01-10-2007, 12:22 PM
Super Moderator

Is it leaking or something? What causes that to go bad?

Old 01-10-2007, 12:30 PM

Easy terms are......................The seals in side are not getting the fluid pushed to where it needs to be pushed to.

You would know if it's leaking.

I think I have seen this here before. Same problem and the dealer put on a new master cylinder[:@]

Old 01-10-2007, 12:38 PM
Super Moderator

So even if it happened once and only once, you think it's going to be a problem? My friend is flying in from Tampa tomorrow and we are building out my basement. I have a trailor rented. I have to have a truck this weekend to pull it. It's going to be a pain in the *** if I can't have my truck. If you guys really think I need to take it in I will, but damn it's going to be a complete mess as far as my plans are concerned. Better then crashing I guess [&o]

Old 01-10-2007, 01:15 PM

There could have been a piece of dirt or something cought in there, but that would be reaching for a anwser on a new vehicle. If you had this problem once, it will happen again. Just a matter of time. I don't think it is a problem with the abs. I have seen the abs fail and lock up thebrakes, butnot let thebrakes go the floor.Did any light come on?

If it was me, I would drive it and at the next chance, take it to the dealer. But if you are going to be hauling a trailer, that could be a little scary if the brakes went out.[]

Old 01-10-2007, 01:22 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah I know. When I think about it, it has happened before, but not as dramatic. When I say it went to the floor, I don't mean literally, but I mean it was VERY soft and almost went down to it's limit. Common sense tells me to take it to the dealer, and I will probably do that, but I won't have a chance until Friday or Saturday. I am taking the train to work now, but tomorrow I have to drive in to pick my friend up from the airport. I'll check the fluid and make sure it's ok also.

I have to say I'm getting really tired of taking this damn truck into the dealer every 5 to 6 weeks. It's always something. This is the 12th or 13th car I have own and I'm barely turning 31. I have never had to take any car in as much as this thing. If I didn't love it so damn much it would have been gone by now. DOH! I still will never get rid of it. The way I see it, whatever they fix is just one less thing I have to worry about breaking later on down the line.

Now that my H3 has about 27 to 28k, and my VIN is in that "Head and Valve" catagory, that's the next thing I'm waiting on to go lol.

Old 01-10-2007, 02:51 PM

have you done the obvious and checked your brake fluid level?, make sure the Master cylinder cover is on tight and the seal isn't messed up?

Old 01-10-2007, 03:01 PM
Super Moderator

I have not. I didn't have time. I will check when I get back to the parking lot after work. I did check it a couple of weeks ago and it was fine. There was no dirt in it and it was filled. I'll check the seals on the master cylinder. I honestly never even looked for it. It it mounted to the firewall like on every other car?

Old 01-10-2007, 03:01 PM

Hi,

Same thing happened to me. I actually posted my situation back a while ago. Pedal started to gradually go to the floor. It started with stopping at a stop sign and the truck started to creep forward. I thought I'm I letting y foot off the brake? Got to an intersection and the pedal went right to the floor.

I got mine into the dealer right away and also contacted Transport Canada for vehicle recalls to see if this was a common problem or if it had been reported earlier. They immediately contacted the dealer to see what the problem was and how they planned to fixed it. At that point TC hadno other reportsfiled as to this problem.

The explanation given to them and me was that the system had to be bled of air. Seems thatthis particular braking systemis electro-hydraulic and that air can be trapped in the system during production and not make it's way through the system for sometime. The dealer had to hook up their equipment for add presuure to the system and then bleed back from there.

I was asked by the fellow at Transport Canada to let them know immediately if it occured again.All has been good since the first time.

Quick Reply: Funny thing happened on the way down the driveway this morning.....