PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Functional hood vents finally done!

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 03:07 PM
Default Functional hood vents finally done!

The hardest part was removing the stock plastic louvers. I guess the previous owner went in for the recall and it was silicone glued the hell out off it. The rest was max 20 min for everything.

The hood louver was won from an ebay auction sale going on. It came with instructions and the box said Zmag on it.

Here are the results:

The chrome is a little to bling for me but I'll just leave it for now as it matches the grill little bit.

The only concern I have is the driver side vent sits pretty close to the Alternator. Not sure how safe that will be when it rains.

Also the new piece is heavy and now the hood will not stay opened. I will have to look into heavy duty struts for the hood.

Old 07-14-2012, 03:16 PM

Look like it will indeed vent it well. Did you coat your cut edges with anything?

Old 07-14-2012, 04:08 PM

Be sure to somehow waterproof your coilpacks. Any moisture will sit on them and cause corrosion. There is a TSB on this. Mine were replaced under warranty.

Old 07-14-2012, 04:59 PM

I used primer on the edges where it was cut o prevent it from rusting.

How can I waterproof the coil packs? The only thing I can think of is putting back the stock resonator box to cover them.

Old 07-14-2012, 06:40 PM

The referenced TSB was issued when the stock resonator was/is in place. The OEM louvers leaked through the clip areas and water was able to get to the coilpacks.

Old 07-14-2012, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by 4u33er

How can I waterproof the coil packs? The only thing I can think of is putting back the stock resonator box to cover them.
Keep in mind that unless it was a 2 part epoxy primer, then it will not seal out moisture. I'd put a top coat of something over the primer.

Unfortunately the edge of the stock resonator doesn't quite cover all of the coil packs. You'd have to fab up some sort of lid or shield to sit on top of the resonator as an engine cover, which wouldn't be super hard to do, but the more you cover the engine the less effective your vent becomes.

Last edited by Xlr8n; 07-14-2012 at 10:05 PM.
Old 07-15-2012, 03:33 PM

So you installed it and promptly took it off?

Old 07-15-2012, 03:56 PM

It is beautiful to look at but if water is the enemy,it will be like a hurricane in there with the fan,and driving 60 in the rain.
Nothing will keep the water in it's place.
Like opening the hood and turning the garden hose on don't you think?
Nice as it looks it scares me.

Old 07-15-2012, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by 4u33er

Dielectric grease(silicone) works.

Old 07-15-2012, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by happythree
It is beautiful to look at but if water is the enemy,it will be like a hurricane in there with the fan,and driving 60 in the rain.
Nothing will keep the water in it's place.
Like opening the hood and turning the garden hose on don't you think?
Nice as it looks it scares me.
driving 60 mph in the rain won't cause much of a problem, going at slow speeds or at a stop will. at highway speed the airflow will carry the water over

Quick Reply: Functional hood vents finally done!