PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Smart-8

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 05:13 PM
rsm
Default Fuel Smart-8

Hello fellow H3 lovers. Thought that I'd post on an upgrade that I'm doing to my H3 Alpha. Currently it has a pcmforless.com tuned computer, a leveling kit, 35" tires and a Gobi roof rack. I am adding on a gizmo called Fuel Smart-8. It is a computer which changes your engine to operate like a variable displacement engine by shutting off fuel to injectors which may not be necessary based on driving conditions. I just got the part in today and started going over it. As for quality it seems a little on the weak side with a plastic case the manufacturer reports as weather proof. The wires exiting the module go through a drilled whole with no rubber grommet to protect the wires or sealant to keep water out of the sensitive microprocessor. Aside from that, the component seems solid. Not recommended for a DIYer, however I am an electrician by trade and will be tackling this myself. I will keep you posted on my progress and the results of the product. Claims are of up to 22% raise in fuel mileage on highway, so we'll see.

Attached Thumbnails Fuel Smart-8-fuel-smart-8-install-1.jpg   Fuel Smart-8-fuel-smart-8-install-2.jpg  
Old 04-06-2012, 05:21 PM

So how much was this? The reports I heard were that it didn't do anything. Keep us informed though.

Old 04-06-2012, 07:05 PM

Hope it works for you, but there's a lot of snake oil out there!

Old 04-07-2012, 12:25 AM

i'm curious about the inputs that it uses, its interesting, can we see a schematic?

Old 04-07-2012, 03:31 AM

WOW, that case looks cheap, not sealed and no gromits!

From the start I'm not impressed, but that could all change after the install.

Old 04-07-2012, 07:39 AM
rsm
Default No schematic

The module does not come with a schematic exactly, their wiring diagram is a list of wire colors and what each wire does. I spent last night tracing the wires under the hood to find which wires go to the fuel injectors and reading the instructions. It seems that the module takes the input from the ecu for each fuel injector passes the input through the module onto the fuel injector. In order to do this the first step is to track down the wires for each fuel injector and cut them in half attaching one half to one wire and the other to its corresponding wire from the module. The underlying principle is that when operating,the module will shut off fuel to select cylinders for fractions of a second in a repeating pattern so as to prevent a misfire signal being sent to the check engine light. I currently have my doubts, but at this point I am still optimistic (hopeful? as I only get 10mpg or so and its my daily driver back and forth to base). The instructions are not vehicle specific and you will have to track down a wiring diagram or two for your vehicle. The cost was around $295 plus $10 s/h. Tools required so far were a flash light and wire strippers. I will have to solder the wires for a firm connection and use shrink wrap.

Old 04-07-2012, 08:51 AM
Super Moderator

Add fuel magnets and get another 20%, pretty soon the H3 will be making gas in its tank?

Old 04-07-2012, 08:55 AM

10 mpgs? You have some other serious issues to fix before you install that thing.

Old 04-07-2012, 09:32 AM
Banned
Default "10 mpgs? You have some other serious issues to fix before you install that thing. "

yeah,you'll never know where u are if u dont fix the first problem. ez to predict another wasted $300, lots of gas that would buy!!

it needs to make a lot of mpg to pay off,glad YOU'RE trying it!!

seems like it would need to really be tied close to the engine comp to avoid a fireworks display of codes,missfire,crossfire,backfire,bigfire, o2 sensors,,,
gud luk

Last edited by drtom; 04-07-2012 at 09:35 AM.
Old 04-07-2012, 12:45 PM

who makes this? i tried a quick internet search and didnt come up with anything

Quick Reply: Fuel Smart-8