PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

front axle play

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2016, 10:17 PM
Default front axle play

I noticed lube starting to seep from the driver front axle housing hub (to be clear - at the diff end, not wheel end). I pushed up an the axle at the hub and there is slight play, but same on passenger axle where it is not leaking?

1) Is this lateral play at the hub normal?
2) Can I expect the seeping to get worse soon or will it just continue to be a slow seeping?

2010 H3/ 80k miles, torsion bar lift to 23"

Old 06-05-2016, 11:30 AM

I'm confused?
The hub on happy does not have play.... if the seal at the housing is weeping behind the seal for the axle flange tube replace the cv axel and seal.

Old 06-06-2016, 02:41 PM

You most likely need to replace just the dif seal, an $8 part but it took me about 2 hours to replace it because you need to remove a lot of stuff to get at the seal.

Old 06-06-2016, 10:50 PM

My 2006 h3 with 80k has had a driver side CV seal seep for 2 summers. It's so slow that it never even drips/collects on the ground so I haven't replaced it.

Originally Posted by Justinh
I noticed lube starting to seep from the driver front axle housing hub (to be clear - at the diff end, not wheel end). I pushed up an the axle at the hub and there is slight play, but same on passenger axle where it is not leaking?

1) Is this lateral play at the hub normal?
2) Can I expect the seeping to get worse soon or will it just continue to be a slow seeping?

2010 H3/ 80k miles, torsion bar lift to 23"