PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Frame rust?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 12:46 AM
Default Frame rust?

So a little history of my '08 H3:

I bought it new in Aug '08, and has still been the only vehicle I've purchased that I've never regretted, I LOVE my H3. I drove it for everything for the first 3-4 years, including work which was 20k+ a year. About 3 1/2 years ago it was getting high in miles and the fuel cost were costing me close to $1k/mo, so I bought a Prius to work out of, and the Hummer has mostly decorated my driveway since. I drive it on the weekends, mostly short trips, and it's seen less than 3k miles in the last 3+ years.

There's a lot of long overdue maintenance I feel is necessary for the ole' girl, on the top of the list is: new plugs/wires (still running on the factory set), new shocks, new radiator (there's a leak), probable a new exhaust (also has a leak), needs a tire rotation (more of a stop-gap before a new set of sneakers), and a good cleaning.

Upon starting to get into this list I can't help but notice the amount of frame rust and general underbody rust going on. Deeper inspection looks like most of the bushings in the front end are looking a bit rough. When on these trucks is the time to climb that uphill mental battle of having to basically rebuild the front end to replace all of the control arm bushings? I'm sure mine's a bit worse off because of geography (Ohio = salt in the winter) coupled with it having largely not been driven for a couple years.

Just wondering everyone else's experience with our now almost decade old rides, and appreciate thoughts and advise.

Old 11-18-2015, 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by Mittens

I bought it new in Aug '08, and has still been the only vehicle I've purchased that I've never regretted, I LOVE my H3. I drove it for everything for the first 3-4 years, including work which was 20k+ a year. About 3 1/2 years ago it was getting high in miles and the fuel cost were costing me close to $1k/mo, so I bought a Prius to work out of, and the Hummer has mostly decorated my driveway since. I drive it on the weekends, mostly short trips, and it's seen less than 3k miles in the last 3+ years.

There's a lot of long overdue maintenance I feel is necessary for the ole' girl, on the top of the list is: new plugs/wires (still running on the factory set), new shocks, new radiator (there's a leak), probable a new exhaust (also has a leak), needs a tire rotation (more of a stop-gap before a new set of sneakers), and a good cleaning.

Upon starting to get into this list I can't help but notice the amount of frame rust and general underbody rust going on. Deeper inspection looks like most of the bushings in the front end are looking a bit rough. When on these trucks is the time to climb that uphill mental battle of having to basically rebuild the front end to replace all of the control arm bushings? I'm sure mine's a bit worse off because of geography (Ohio = salt in the winter) coupled with it having largely not been driven for a couple years.

Just wondering everyone else's experience with our now almost decade old rides, and appreciate thoughts and advise.
Name:  ED86BB1A-6237-4CC8-8A05-8C5E0F584979.jpg
Views: 4305
Size:  414.0 KB

Name:  BF95D158-5D36-4766-BA9B-C4DA1BD9F976.jpg
Views: 3524
Size:  221.3 KB

Name:  2FD263A1-E1EC-40C4-BD31-4B4F45B7DA9C.jpg
Views: 3951
Size:  167.9 KB

Name:  39AFC689-4ACE-4588-B010-4D550C8C11BB.jpg
Views: 3899
Size:  193.2 KB

Old 11-18-2015, 02:50 AM

My undercarriage is the same or worse and it's sore on my eyes. Not much one can do about it except accept it or pay the local auto body shop to re-paint the underside. I think the steel is strong enough to withstand the rust but what do I know.

Old 11-18-2015, 06:21 AM

Use POR 15 on the frame rust. Might take 2 applications.

Old 11-18-2015, 07:23 AM

Thanks Taint.

Old 11-18-2015, 10:04 AM

used car dealers call it "lot rot" when they sit still too long on the lot unsold.
treat the rust fast and drive it more !

i dont waste $ on tire rotation, 60000 and look ok handle good, save the $ for the next set!

i need to find that por stuff too for spots.

just read about "rust bullet" sounds good too.

Last edited by happythree; 11-18-2015 at 10:10 AM.
Old 11-18-2015, 10:13 AM
Default Por15

Tainter,
I checked their website and noticed they have several different products for rust. In this case where you already have rust accumulating in the metal, which product would be used first? Or would you need to sand blast / wire brush the prior existing rust?

Old 11-18-2015, 10:59 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Mittens

If you have an I5, there is NO plug wires.

The shocks in your pics already look new?

Old 11-18-2015, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by norinco3264
Tainter,
I checked their website and noticed they have several different products for rust. In this case where you already have rust accumulating in the metal, which product would be used first? Or would you need to sand blast / wire brush the prior existing rust?
You can go as far as you wish with prep. Depends on the time you want to spend.

I get all of the dirt and grime off, blast the part/parts with air and apply with a brush getting into all of the nooks and crannies. After it dries you MUST paint it. Rattle can and a piece of cardboard to control over spray is my preferred method.

I've done tractor frames, the underside of our XJ, etc. Working on our HUMMERs this spring.

Old 11-18-2015, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by happythree
used car dealers call it "lot rot" when they sit still too long on the lot unsold.
treat the rust fast and drive it more !

i dont waste $ on tire rotation, 60000 and look ok handle good, save the $ for the next set!

i need to find that por stuff too for spots.

just read about "rust bullet" sounds good too.
My fronts always wear faster, so it needs to be done. I do all my own work, so it's free to me.

Quick Reply: Frame rust?