PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Four Wheel Steering Conversions

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 11:59 AM
Default RE: Four Wheel Steering Conversions

Injunfarian,

Actually, doing the 4-wheel steering on an H1 is a much simpler project than it is for the H2 or H3; picture a a hydraulic ram centered between the rear wheels, and then put tie rods on each end to replace the radius arms that connect the rear geared hubs to the frame and you are almost done. A couple of H1 guys have already done a similar mod on their own trucks. Add a hydraulic pump and controls, and a way to "pin" the mechanism at center for highway driving, and you are done.

This is on my short list of projects to do on my own truck in the near future... I do not think there is a big enough market to do a kit for sale, though.

ORIGINAL: Injunfarian

naaaw not a waste of a hummer... great idea I would love to add this to my H1 once I get the cash... anyone on a tight trail or in some thick mud would know why it would be very useful!!! especially on a tight trail that is very slippery with some nice rutts and going in reverse hard to control the rear end I almost ended up with body damage in a situation like that thank got there was another rig behind me that i attached too and he could apply constant presure on my one side to keep me from going into a tree..

Old 03-19-2007, 08:03 PM

Sounds good.. glad to hear your planning to do it... I hope you make an article at your usual place showing us how it goes and how it comes out...
Definately will be a mod I would want to do to my current hummer which I will eventually be using just as a trail rig.

Old 03-22-2007, 10:50 PM

I actually need to adapt to a stretch limo to pass the local licensing requirements. I was told that someone is LA is doing to conversions for H2..

Old 03-23-2007, 11:54 AM

well, manny, even if you sold 6 x the plans/parts for 50% above cost, you'd make a little money on the deal / pay for your own system, which isn't entirely a wasted business venture.

just a thought