PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

first time in the snow

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 08:41 AM
Exclamation first time in the snow

First time its snowed since I've had this car. Do I drive it normally or am I suppose to press one of those 4x4 buttons? I'm not even sure what they look like lol. I just rememeber a while ago reading in a manual one was for snow?? But my manual, uhm I can't find it now, maybe it was in another one and I lost it.

Old 02-11-2010, 10:15 AM

If the roads are covered, I generally use 4hi Lock. In 4hi, it tends to exhibit a little RWD tendencies.

Old 02-11-2010, 12:58 PM

Weather says 33 and feels 27. Its been continually snowing all morning, the roads are black and everything else is white. So I'm guessing possibly just icy? What is 4hi lock? If I remember I think it either has a up or down arrow on the 4 wheel drive control panel. I don't think it says hi.

Old 02-11-2010, 01:35 PM

Either works fine for me - if they haven't plowed the roads I go 4hi.

Old 02-11-2010, 01:43 PM

All of you live where it snows, I live in central Florida where it doesn't snow.

I've got a question for you.

My truck has never been off road since it was on the showroom floor. The lady that owned it before me was a real estate agent and she never drove it off road, and I most certainly do not drive it off road.

My question is:

How often should I play with those buttons for the 4-wheel drive? I only tried them once and that was when I bought it about a year ago, I wanted to be sure that it worked.

Old 02-11-2010, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by littlecookiejar
Weather says 33 and feels 27. Its been continually snowing all morning, the roads are black and everything else is white. So I'm guessing possibly just icy? What is 4hi lock? If I remember I think it either has a up or down arrow on the 4 wheel drive control panel. I don't think it says hi.
"4 hi lock" is the second button from the left. You are right. It's the numeral "4" an arrow pointing up and a picture of a lock. What this does is locks the differential in the transfer case so the front axle and back axle split the engine's torque equally. In regular 4 hi, the front and rear axle can spin at different speeds. The split is 40% front and 60% rear.

Old 02-11-2010, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by vetteman40404
All of you live where it snows, I live in central Florida where it doesn't snow.

I've got a question for you.

My truck has never been off road since it was on the showroom floor. The lady that owned it before me was a real estate agent and she never drove it off road, and I most certainly do not drive it off road.

My question is:

How often should I play with those buttons for the 4-wheel drive? I only tried them once and that was when I bought it about a year ago, I wanted to be sure that it worked.
I don't know that you necessarily every have to use them if you don't want to. It might just be nice to do it occasionally just to know they are working. Other than that, I don't know that there is necessarily a schedule.

Old 02-11-2010, 04:12 PM

You guys should leave it in normal driving mode in light to medium snow, especially if you don't know what your doing. You can hurt alot more real quickly by not knowing what your doing. I live in Ohio with snow all year round and can stay in basic driving mode all year. Those buttons are mostly for moderate to severe offroading.

Old 02-12-2010, 02:29 PM

the H2 is my everyday driver so unless they haven't plowed and I'm digging into 8 inches of snow all the way to work I leave it where it is, 4hi gets me up my steep hill and through the crap on the roads and still make it on time

Old 02-12-2010, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by pteam
You guys should leave it in normal driving mode in light to medium snow, especially if you don't know what your doing. You can hurt alot more real quickly by not knowing what your doing. I live in Ohio with snow all year round and can stay in basic driving mode all year. Those buttons are mostly for moderate to severe offroading.
Care to elaborate? I'm not questioning you, only hoping to learn something new. How, or what are you going to hurt more quickly in 4hi lock?

Quick Reply: first time in the snow