PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

first oil change

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 05:14 AM
Default first oil change

had the dealer do the first oilchange to see what I needed to do.
Put in AMS OIL 5w30 and their filter, and the AEM no-oil air filter. After one tank, 16.2 MPG--up 1.2!!!

AMSOIL will guarantee the engine for 25000 if you install their filter also.
The oil/filter is good for 25000miles. THey have oil test kits that you put a sample in and send it to the lab. They will tell U if the oil needs to be changed.

Old 12-20-2006, 05:48 AM
Default RE: first oil change

Amsoil is the best synthetic out there. I would have already used it but a few guys here mentioned that Royal Purple was better and after trying it, will be switching to Amsoil on the next oil change. I use to be a dealer for Amsoil and have now signed up as a perferred buyer and can get it a dealer cost. I also have a dry universal air filter coming that will fit my K&N CAI.

You made the right choice!

Old 12-20-2006, 06:50 AM

-Just curious...what didn't you like about the royal purple?
FWIW, I just put Amsoil in my H3.

Old 12-20-2006, 08:04 AM

It's not that I have any specific reason not to like Royal Purple, just that from what was put out about it, I didn't see any advantage using it over other synthetics after realtime testing. According to many tests, Amsoil had better reviews (less wear than any synthetic out there)and was cheaper than RP. I didn't get any better gas mileage so far either. Adding it all up, price factor and wearing of vitalengine parts,I will be switching on the next oil change. Also adding the factor of I now receive a perferred buyer discount is a plus.

Old 12-20-2006, 10:35 AM

I use RP

Old 12-20-2006, 02:07 PM

ORIGINAL: Sugardaddy

I use RP
How long have you been using RP?

I switched to synthetic back in 1977 and haven't used any petroleum based enging oil since. First was Mobil1, then I made the change to Amsoil about 1979 and have used it since then with no problems. I was even a dealer from 1986 till about 1995 but dropped out from not enough time to sell.

Here is a report on oils to see how they faired out.

http://www.worldsbestoil.ca/dyno-test.php

Now, I am not saying RP is bad just that for the money and wear factors, it isn't 100% synthetic Motor Oil! It is what thye call Parasynthetic or a petroleum/synthetic blend. I would much rather use 100% synthetic oil in my vehicles.

I am also not tellingh anyone what to use just facts that I have seen and with no difference from Amsoil to RP, I will go with the better.

Old 12-20-2006, 02:33 PM

A little more food for thought..Published by Amsoil

FOUR BALL WEAR OVERVIEW
(ASTM D-4172)

- The Four Ball Wear Test determines the wear protection properties of a lubricant.
- Three metal ***** are clamped together and covered with the test lubricant, while a rotating fourth ball is pressed against them in sliding contact.
- This contact typically produces a wear scar, which is measured and recorded.
- The smaller the average wear scar, the better the wear protection provided by the lubricant.
- AMSOIL Synthetic 10W-30 Motor Oil provides unsurpassed protection against engine wear. Equipment life is extended, and repairs, downtime and expenses are reduced.
- AMSOIL Synthetic 10W-30 Motor Oil produced the smallest wear scar of the tested lubricants. The smaller the number the better the wear protection.

FOUR-BALL WEAR (ASTM D-4172)
(May 2003 Test Results)

- Pennzoil with Purebase 0.65 mm Wear Scar Diameter
- Quaker State Peak Performance 0.60 mm Wear Scar Diameter
- Castrol GTX Drive Hard 0.60 mm Wear Scar Diameter
- Valvoline 0.60 mm Wear Scar Diameter
- Mobil 1 Super Syn 0.60 mm Wear Scar Diameter
- Pennzoil Synthetic 0.60 mm Wear Scar Diameter
- Mobil Drive Clean 0.55 mm Wear Scar Diameter
- Quaker State Synthetic 0.55 mm Wear Scar Diameter
- Valvoline Syn Power 0.55 mm Wear Scar Diameter
- Castrol Syntec 0.45 mm Wear Scar Diameter
- AMSOIL ATM 0.40 mm Wear Scar Diameter

If I could readily get Amsoil I'd use it'

As I said before..Castrol Syntec is the next best thing

Old 12-22-2006, 04:00 PM

When did you all do your first oil change , and did the light come on or did you just do it at that mileage

Old 12-22-2006, 04:06 PM

My first one was at 1000 miles with Castrol Syntec...my second one was at 5000 miles and I'll be doing it at every 5000 miles here after..

Old 12-22-2006, 05:30 PM

I will be changing my oil every 3000 miles. I am undecided on synthetic have ony used it in my race car but may start using it in the H3 when it is time. Steve

Quick Reply: first oil change