PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally got a "snip"

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 11:01 PM
Default Finally got a "snip"

no not that kinda snip,,, trimmed the antenna about 4 inches with the trusty ole dremel... no more scratching the garage door

Old 10-16-2007, 11:12 PM
Default RE: Finally got a "snip"

that's one way to do it.

Old 10-17-2007, 05:00 AM

does it still work,....you could have always just duct taped it to the pillar.lol

Old 10-17-2007, 09:05 AM

I swapped mine with the antenna on my wife's Pontiac Solstice. Two inches shorter made all the difference. Only problem is the mount. the H3 expects a male connection on the antenna, not female like the rest of GM. I actually had a few adapters laying around to circumvent this.

I found a short rubber antenna at Pep Boys to put on the Solstice later.

Old 10-17-2007, 10:50 AM

I do not care for the long thin stack antennas. For the life of me, I can't figure out why any vehicle would still come with those.
I ordered a AMI 21" stubby antenna from hummerpartsclub.It comes with the exact adapter you need for the H3.
It comes in even shorter lengths, but I thought anything too short would look kind of silly.
Here's a link for anyone interested.
http://hummerpartsclub.com/mm5/merch...ry_Code=AMI_H3

EDIT: That link is to the black stubbies, but they have numerous other options here: http://hummerpartsclub.com/mm5/merch...ry_Code=AMI_H3

I think I'm actually going to order one with the lasered black flames and I'll put the black one I have now on wifey's Tahoe.

Old 10-17-2007, 11:08 AM

Yea, that lasar one is kinda cool

Old 10-17-2007, 02:52 PM

Antenna length is paramount to good reception. Do you notice any loss?

P.S. I have a standard 9' Door and my antenna doesn't rub. Did you guys lift your H3?

Old 10-17-2007, 07:46 PM

Mr. Vader is right....The antenna it "tuned" to the radio and that's why it looks the way it does. When you buy a stubby, the entire length of the optimal antenna is wound into the new stubby thus making the overall antenna shorter but still containing the same amount of wire for proper reception. You should notice a decrease in reception now that you've done your dremel deed, if not in strong local stations then in marginal ones. Length DOES matter! [sm=nothatway.gif]

Old 10-17-2007, 08:27 PM

ORIGINAL: RealJeep

Mr. Vader is right....The antenna it "tuned" to the radio and that's why it looks the way it does. When you buy a stubby, the entire length of the optimal antenna is wound into the new stubby thus making the overall antenna shorter but still containing the same amount of wire for proper reception. You should notice a decrease in reception now that you've done your dremel deed, if not in strong local stations then in marginal ones. Length DOES matter! [sm=nothatway.gif]
Mr Vader is a bit formal. You can just call me Lord Vader

Old 10-17-2007, 09:28 PM

ORIGINAL: D VADER

Antenna length is paramount to good reception. Do you notice any loss?

P.S. I have a standard 9' Door and my antenna doesn't rub. Did you guys lift your H3?
To those of us not on the dark side...standard doors are only 7' tall. I guess too much time in the Mos Eisley Cantina stunts our growth so we get smaller doors?
[sm=vader.gif]

Quick Reply: Finally got a "snip"