PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

It figures....

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 10:17 AM
Default It figures....

Hello All: 2007 H3 Tactical 51,000 miles. Yesterday afternoon while driving, the warning chimes starting chiming, the door locks started locking and unlocking themselves, and the cluster "door" warning light came on. It was very cold out and the car had been in a heated garage for some work for about four hours. (Normally parked outside). Naturally this morning the car was dead as the interior light had been on all night. Spoke to the dealer this AM who thought it sounded like a frozen door switch. I did the interior light override switch and jumpstarted it without trouble. It has been sitting in a heated garage now for about an hour with the doors open- it is -4 degrees outside. I have searched the threads without developing any leads. Any ideas? I'd like to try to trouble shoot it myself since it's out of warranty. ANy one ever suffer the same nonsense?! Thanks in advance. John

Attached Thumbnails It figures....-user6297_pic14_1233254664.jpg  

Last edited by bimbimmer4125; 01-17-2011 at 10:32 AM. Reason: forgot picture
Old 01-17-2011, 11:23 AM

Hey Bim, I have a 09 H3T and have had some problems with my door alarm going off when I make turns. No problems with interior lights staying on though. I think it's the door switch plunger inside the door frame freezing up with cold weather. It only does it after I wash it in freezing weather, and lasts for a day, so I'm pretty sure that's my problem and your to. Warm weather should do the trick for you. I think moisture gets in that door plunger and cold weather makes it hang up. My plunger didnt appear to be sticking, but it might be the inner leads in the switch. Maybe you can look at that plunger and get the rubber boot off it and give it a little spray of WD-40 to keep it from freezing. If it continues you might have to take it in. Hope this helps,, See ya,,,,

Old 01-17-2011, 02:23 PM
Default Update

So I heated the garage up to about 80, let the car sit with the doors open for about four hours and everything appears to work properly. I guess a door contact plunger was frozen or something akin to that. I let it dry out quite well and then pulled it onto the driveway to sit in the sun. Granted it's 20 degrees out but sun is sun around here. Thanks. I know I learned something. John

Old 01-17-2011, 04:22 PM

You might try to put a small amount of grease around the plunger to keep moisture out of the plunger. This should help keep the switch working.

Old 01-17-2011, 04:52 PM

Wow this is crazy stoopid door plungers