PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

exhaust drone

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by talusfan
I have the same problem with the Volant intake/exhaust combo. Been thinking about just taking it out and having a muffler shop drop in a flowmaster. That drone in the back seat is atrocious.
I have the Volant exhaust and the K&N FIPK. The exhaust drone isn't that bad IMO. I'm sure it's louder than the systems that come with the resonator such as the Magnaflow. I've done exhausts on several vehicles and one thing I've noticed is, no resonator = loud drone. There's plenty of room underneath for a good sized resonator. Either measure and order a Magnaflow round resonator or head to a muffler shop and have them do it. Problem will be solved. I had drone on my last vehicle, put in the biggest resonator I could fit, problem was 80% better.

The drone I have now with the volant is acceptable for now, I may add a resonator in the future. For now I'll just crank up the music

Old 03-31-2010, 11:44 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by mthoodh3
so i have the magnaflow cat back kit for my 06 h3 running with a volant cai. i love the setup for the most part but the constant drone when cruising at highwy speeds(about 2000rpm) is starting to bother me. has anyone figured out a way to quiet this? i was wondering if a pcm tune would help, or has anyone removed the resonator on the magnaflow kit? i hate to go back to stock because i like the performance and the sound of it most times and especially like the looks of the dual tips...but i do alot of highway driving and the drone is kinda annoying because i really liked how quiet the cab was when stock. thanks for any help fellas.
How long have you had the MagnaFlow CAT back? The sound changes when the system gets broken in..... takes about 2000 miles.

Originally Posted by TShepp
Possibly this is true with the factory tune, but after getting a PCM4Less I dont think this would hold true, also Ive heard the gain with the paper was in an unusable RPM range...
Paper is great if: 1) it is a panel design; and, 2) it is brand new clean. Get the paper dirty, and most quality performance air filters will kick paper's butt after 10K miles. Paper canisters suck!

IMHO dyno test don't tell you much, flow bench testing answers many more questions.

Old 03-31-2010, 02:01 PM
Default exhaust drone

I have just bought a volant cat back for my 08 ,is the drone that bad. My wife drives it most of the time and she won't be happy if its that loud.I wasn't going to tell her about it until i installed it,I might want to rethink this.I wish I could hear one in person,the sound clips on the web sites suck.

Old 04-01-2010, 03:51 AM

thanks for all your input guys...I took out the Volant CAI and went back to stock, it seemed to calm the drone down to a tolerable level. im gonna drive it like this for a few weeks to see if it lessens any. i will probably still put in a bigger resonator to really quiet down the drone.

Old 04-01-2010, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by H3dentdoc
I have just bought a volant cat back for my 08 ,is the drone that bad. My wife drives it most of the time and she won't be happy if its that loud.I wasn't going to tell her about it until i installed it,I might want to rethink this.I wish I could hear one in person,the sound clips on the web sites suck.
Hearing is selective, if she likes a silent Buick like sound then she will probably not like it. It's definitely noticeable over stock: start-up, acceleration and cruising all have different tones vs. stock. I think it sounds great, but she WILL notice it if you put it on without telling her first. My advice would be to have it installed at a muffler shop and have them put in the biggest round resonator (my preference is magnaflow) that will fit. You can look underneath right now to see the location of the factory resonator. WITH a resonator it should be nice and mellow. Not sure why, but the magnaflow kits come with a resonator while volants catbacks do not.

Old 04-01-2010, 06:14 PM
Default exhaust drone

For you guys who installed the volant exhaust did it come with any gaskets and at least one clamp? I think I am missing some parts as usual when buying through e-bay.You are right about the buick sound and I think i am going to install it and just suprise her.If she is unhappy I will trade her my work truck and put my pdr tools in the hummer.

Old 05-21-2010, 10:48 PM

I had the same problem. I originally went with the Volant system air and exhaust and the drone was so load I got headaches. I removed it reinstalled the resonator and added a magnaflow muffler just after the cat back and went straight out the back. No 90 degree turn. Sounds much better at cruising speeds but it is still aggressive around town.

jake