PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Eliminating Spare Tire?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 07:52 AM
Default Eliminating Spare Tire?

I could have swore I saw a thread showing a H3 with the spare tire cleanly removed but I searched and found nothing this morning. Anyway, I decided to give it a try last night and found that there is a big square vent behind the tire. So much for that idea. Just thought I'd note it here in case anyone else was thinking of the same thing.

Old 04-24-2008, 10:21 AM
Default RE: Eliminating Spare Tire?

Great minds think alike I was thinking of doing the same thing, so any input would be appreciated.

Old 04-24-2008, 10:29 AM

What are you going todo you do when you have a flat? Call Onstar?

Old 04-24-2008, 10:37 AM

I can't speak for n0m4d, but I have a full tire repair and rebuild kit with 100% duty Viair compressor. I also carry and inner tube for if the tire gets torn open. Wire it shut like stitches and inflate inner tube. All this gear weighs less, and takes up much less space. I learned all these tricks form the Aussies while participating in the Outback Challenge. Thanks guys

Old 04-24-2008, 11:19 AM

I was JUST thinking about this as well!! I like the SEMA H3's idea with the Blitz can mounted in its place... But think I would perfer someting just to cover the holes?? I know I saw a kit out there, but can't seem to find it now.

Hellllllllp

Old 04-24-2008, 11:24 AM

ReconH3
An inner tube is a good idea. On long trips I carry a tire plugging kit, air compressor and a can of tire inflator.

When I was a kid we would take 2 spares when going into the real boonies.

Old 04-24-2008, 12:02 PM

ORIGINAL: ReconH3

I can't speak for n0m4d, but I have a full tire repair and rebuild kit with 100% duty Viair compressor. I also carry and inner tube for if the tire gets torn open. Wire it shut like stitches and inflate inner tube. All this gear weighs less, and takes up much less space. I learned all these tricks form the Aussies while participating in the Outback Challenge. Thanks guys
Sounds like a pain if you have a flat on your way to work in the dark while it's raining. I'd rather put the spair on on get on my way, but I still always carry a complete tire repair kit and a quality compressor anyway.

Old 04-24-2008, 12:39 PM

Steve #1. It's just like anything else. If you have done it before it doesn't become such a big deal. Most city tire issues are from nails or similar. It's faster to plug it up and refill with compressor than changing the tire. Most the times you don't even have to break out the jack. If you have a more serious blow up then you shouldn't have bought a cheap tire. It's all about what's more important for you. I wouldn't do it for looks but for off-roading where the more weight you have on the back, the worst it is for steep climbs. If anyone finds that removal kit post it please. I've seen Land Rover Defender guys just put a piece of aluminum over the gap. Then again, Defenders are square and ugly

Old 04-24-2008, 12:41 PM

Couldn't you just paint a tire cover the same color as the vehicle to camouflage it, and call it a day?? Or, am I just missing the purpose of not having a spare??

Old 04-24-2008, 12:49 PM

ORIGINAL: Steve #1

ORIGINAL: ReconH3

Sounds like a pain if you have a flat on your way to work in the dark while it's raining. I'd rather put the spair on on get on my way, but I still always carry a complete tire repair kit and a quality compressor anyway.
thats why i pay for AAA service..

Quick Reply: Eliminating Spare Tire?