PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical system taking a sheet?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 12:06 AM
Default Electrical system taking a sheet?

I have lately been having some bad electrical problems.
Its finally getting cold here and it sometimes acts as though the battery is dead. But after a few seconds, its like it has a full charge.
Some problems:
-While driving, the stereo will pop, all electronics die and from the clock resetting I can tell it totally lost power. It comes back on just fine and all is well.
-Trying to start it will turnover once then click once as though the battery is dead. Then nothing. A few seconds later, its just fine except the clock again is reset so the system totally lost power.
-Today I was getting ready to winch out a Ranger and before I even turned on the winch, the engine stalled out at idle and acted as though the battery was dead. Wait a few seconds...started just fine and was able to winch it out.
-Windshield wipers won't go. Acts like its frozen to the window but its not. Trys twice but third time they work just fine.

All the problems are not every time and happen very randomly but seem to be increasing.

I have added quite a bit of heavy duty electronics but they are all connected directly to the battery so I dont really see how they could be causing a huge issue. Here is what is added in case you think something might matter:
-Reverse lights - reverse feed running all the way back to 2" behind hitch power
-2 sets of Piaa 3000's - marker lights are off parking fuse.
-Mile Marker 8,000lbs winch

I had all electronics running today in 4 degree weather and they worked just fine with the engine running.
If I had to guess, I would say battery since when it stalled out today, the winch would not turn when the engine stalled....new battery or let the dealer fuss with my wiring?

Old 02-04-2007, 02:10 AM
Default RE: Electrical system taking a sheet?

Not sure what the total draw is with all that stuff but I had very similar problems in my old Avalanche .. I loaded up the OEM alternator waaaaaaay too heavily with A/V equipment. With the stereo going during the day, zero issues. At night with the headlights kicked on, plus stereo .. bass amp tripped my aux circuit I dunno how many times before I got an additional alternator/battery setup.

Not sure why it would stall out or not turn over one second and then work fine the next .. faulty groundat the block??

Anyone got the output of the OEM alternator?!?! I'm guessing 105 or 115 amp .. someone chime in?

Old 02-04-2007, 02:26 AM

I agree with Nick..A loose or bad main batteryNegitive grounding >>>>The Alternator puts out a max of 125 Amps

Old 02-04-2007, 07:29 PM

I checked my terminals and they are a little loose but the bolt is as tight as it goes. I think because I have too many pieces held on in the bolt. Is there a super heavy duty distribution block or something I could use to clean up my terminal connectors?

Old 02-05-2007, 09:03 PM

Definately found the problem. It wouldnt start today and I wiggled the + terminal and sure enough, it was loose enough to not be making a good connection. Guess I need to clean up my wires a little more.

Old 02-05-2007, 09:45 PM

i used a car stereo distribution block that uses the 3/8" size fuses for my sundry power leads. i used 3/8" aluminum rod as fuses for my winch connections, i figure that's about a 10,000 amp fuse.

Old 02-05-2007, 10:24 PM

ORIGINAL: shortbus

i used a car stereo distribution block that uses the 3/8" size fuses for my sundry power leads. i used 3/8" aluminum rod as fuses for my winch connections, i figure that's about a 10,000 amp fuse.
Name:  cryingwlaughter-1.gif
Views: 188
Size:  8.0 KB Name:  cryingwlaughter-1.gif
Size:  8.0 KB Name:  cryingwlaughter-1.gif
Size:  8.0 KB

Attached Images
File Type: gif
cryingwlaughter-1.gif (8.0 KB, 34 views)
File Type: gif
cryingwlaughter-1.gif (8.0 KB, 37 views)
Old 02-06-2007, 01:03 AM

haha good thinking! Why not toss acoin in there too!
I love going into RadioShack and going to the home stereo shelf and describing that I need to set up some accessories on my car. they just dont get what heavy duty means