PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical/Computer Issues...

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 01:20 PM
Default Electrical/Computer Issues...

I've been on the forum for a few years now but this is my first post.. I'm pretty good at using the search tool on here and have been able to learn so much from y'all and fix most of my problems . To start off I have a 2006 H3 and it's been great up until recently.. It had 215K miles on it and started losing power, burning oil, and a couple other things. Around the same time the transmission decided to quit as well.. Because I love my H3 so much I decided it would be a good time to swap both the motor and transmission out, as well as my leaking steering rack. Found good used ones with low miles for $2600 +$1700 labor.. While it was down I also sent my PCM to Kelly at pcmforless. Got it back from the shop a couple weeks ago and it ran great!! Good power (for an H3 lol) and acceleration.. I could actually use the cruise control without me worrying it was going to downshift and blow my motor! With all that being said here are my issues...

When I picked it up from the shop I noticed my clicker wasn't working. I replaced the battery but still nothing.. Then my compass was out of whack (it seems to have fixed itself, so it may be unrelated). Then I notice when my front passenger and back rear door open the interior lights don't come on. I also noticed my AC won't turn on.. The blower works but the air compressor won't engage. After searching the forums I found the BCM could be the culprit. Apparently it controls A LOT of things! So I ran a diagnostics with my scan tool and it gave me a B1420 trouble code... Googled it and found 2 things- Battery voltage is outside the range of 9-16 V for 1 second on the battery voltage signal circuit to the body control module (BCM) AND Passenger Power Window Motor Circuit Short To Battery.
Do y'all think the BCM could be the issue and if so, how would I go about testing it? Or do y'all think all these issues are unrelated? Or could it be something else that happened when they swapped out the motor and transmission (loose wire or ground, PCM, etc)? I just need help ruling things out and finding the issue! My next step is to test my alternator, maybe it's going bad and putting too many volts out? I read the computer system(s) are pretty sensitive.

Thanks!

Old 01-25-2016, 02:17 PM
Super Moderator

Do you still have the OEM crappy azzed Battery Terminal Connectors????? If so, those will eventually and always lead to voltage inconsistencies to the PCM.

Start there with a set of Stingers or other quality aftermarket set.

Old 01-25-2016, 02:47 PM

Not anymore. They crapped out so I replaced them a couple years ago.. I don't remember the brand but they were a good set.