PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Eaton or Auburn front locker for 2003?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 10:53 PM
Default Eaton or Auburn front locker for 2003?

Hello everyone.

I am looking at getting a front locker for my rig. I have a 2003 so I believe that i have a factroy Eaton rear locker already?? Please corect me if I am wrong.

I am wondering if anyone has any experience with the Eaton Front counterpart????

I also see auburn has one and I know that they also make good lockers.

There is about 1000 difference between the two.The eaton is $2600 and the Auburn is $1550??

Any comments/input would be appreciated!

Old 02-18-2008, 12:03 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Eaton or Auburn front locker for 2003?

The Alpha has Eaton's front and back. Never had an Auburn so no experience there. Hummer replaced the rear locker at about 17,000 miles. You have an Eaton rear locker. Not sure it makes any difference.

Old 02-18-2008, 12:25 AM

Hey 3 Hummer. I am leaning toward the Eaton to have a matching pair front/rear but if the Auburn is a better until then I MUST consider it!

Old 02-18-2008, 12:42 AM
Super Moderator

$1000.00 bucks in your pocket isn't anything to ignore either. Injun , hmcoleap or ronb will probably have more experience and advice on this topic.

Old 02-18-2008, 07:41 AM

Talk to Scot Smith at SAX-Express: http://www.sax-express.com/ -- he has good pricing and the technical know-how to fill you in on what you need to know about the front lockers, and he has first hand experience with the Auburns, too.

As far as what you have from the factory, it will depend on what options the vehicle was purchased with. If you already have a rear Eaton, I would definitely go with an Eaton in the front if you find that you need a front locker.

As for my $.02 -- if you don't yet know whether or not you have a rear locker, then you don't need a front one. Even if your truck HAS a rear locker, it sounds like you don't know how to turn it on yet.

A front locker will improve the capability of your truck some, but not a ton; a rear locker alone can do about 90% of what two lockers can do. A good experienced driver with no lockers can do about 200% of what an inexperienced driver with both lockers can do.

Old 02-18-2008, 09:40 AM
Super Moderator

Manny's right. I misread your first e-mail. I thought it said you had a rear locker. If you do it is an Eaton.

Old 02-18-2008, 10:45 AM

Sorry my email was misleading. I am 100% sure that I have a rear locker. I was just confirming that a factory 2003 rear locker was a Eaton.

As I do more reasearch I do have a Eaton according to my owners manual.

Hmcoleap like I said I def have a rear locker and I def know how to turn it on . I have been weeling a long time just not in my H1.

I agree on the driver part as I used to have a 2 wheel drive Toyota and with a rear locker that I crawled with and I was going further than guys with 4x4.

Old 02-20-2008, 09:42 AM

In that case, if you add a front locker I would suggest you bite the bullet and dig into you wallet to go with the Eaton up front to match.
I would still suggest calling Scot at SAX-Express -- he is easy to talk to and he can set you up with either a complete diff with the Eaton already installed or he can give you advice on installing one into your diff yourself if you want to tackle that.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes...

Old 02-20-2008, 03:25 PM

Thanks Hmclop for the info.

I am waiting until the weather get's a little bettere here in Canada and the I will speak with Scott.
I think that buying a entire diff is the way I will go and then it will give me a extra just in case.

I will let everyone know how it goes in the spring once I have installed it!

Andrew

Old 02-20-2008, 03:47 PM

Sounds great! I just hope ill be able to keep up with you once we go wheelin together. Especially once you do the lift plus the lockers.. be one nice wheelin rig when finished

Quick Reply: Eaton or Auburn front locker for 2003?