Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners

Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/)
-   PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/private-sale-trade-classifieds-10/)
-   -   durmax conversion (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/private-sale-trade-classifieds-10/durmax-conversion-31989/)

beemc 11-21-2013 07:51 AM

durmax conversion

I'm looking for info on doing the conversion myself i have a 08 h2 sut and i found a wreacked 08 silverado 2500 hd so i will have all the parts i am curious about the wiring any help would be appreciated

LoJac963 11-21-2013 05:49 PM

Its much more than just wiring. The shops that do the conversions can charge anywhere from $25-40,000. Predator sells a DIY kit but not something I would take on. You'd have to do a ridiculous amount of research if you were planning on doing it yourself and have the drivetrain available.

fyr145 11-21-2013 07:56 PM

I hate to be a party pooper but I'd have to agree........not recommended.:(

Man1nboat 11-22-2013 07:33 AM

I called Predator the other day and the conversion costs $32K an d takes 30-45 days to complete. The soonest they could get you in would be March unless you opt of the express package for an additional $5K. They only work on your vehicle until it is completed and you get to be there during the major conversion milestones. The contract calls for 10% down to schedule a slot, 40% once started and 50% upon completion. I am getting the 450HP/900Torque package next year...

H2Miami 11-24-2013 01:07 AM

Pardon my ignorance but could someone told me why would you spend $32k in a truck that worth 30K , beside the dieselis more expensive and do not offera good ride as gas .
I know you would get 450hp and huge amount of torque but in my opinion the H2 works just fine as is ...is it 32K worth it or Im I missing something

BTW Im not trying to break a plan . Just curious

REBREATHER 11-24-2013 02:20 AM

Hmm. I have a Hummer in Sweden that is perhaps worth 50,000 usd. Should I put a Duramax in the car, I get 100.000 usd for the car here in Sweden ... It increases quite a lot of value .. Why do you think people restored car ?? they increases in value ..

Kirkhayes37 11-24-2013 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by H2Miami (Post 304855)
Pardon my ignorance but could someone told me why would you spend $32k in a truck that worth 30K , beside the dieselis more expensive and do not offera good ride as gas .
I know you would get 450hp and huge amount of torque but in my opinion the H2 works just fine as is ...is it 32K worth it or Im I missing something

BTW Im not trying to break a plan . Just curious

H2Miami, I am with you on this one. I paid $17,500 for my 04 with 90K miles. 32K for a motor conversion? Sh*t, I could go buy two more hummers and beat the hell out of them and still come out ahead. 32K is a gripload of money! A guy could put under $10K in to rebuilding the current motor to be a beast and probably be damn satisfied and $22k in their pocket.

But that is just me, I realize sometimes "it" is not about the money...it is about wanting something so bad, it does not matter how much it costs! I guess if there is a waiting list...people with a hell of alot more money than me are doing the conversion! Cool? hell ya, but not 32K cool to me. :cool:

H2duramax 11-24-2013 09:19 AM

I bought my 2008 h2 le ultramarine package already converted and I love it! It is an amazing vehicle with the duramax in it. Mashmotors did the conversion on mine and Mike has been very helpful to me as the second owner. Mashmotors puts out an amazing product.
The original owner of mine bough the h2 new. The Sticker price $69,000... Then he dropped another $40 grand in it putting the duramax in it with some power mods, upgrading the front suspension, and putting new rubber on it.
I lucked out and got it with less than 10,000 miles on the new driveline. Mashmotors workmanship is top notch, I highly recommend using them if anyone is looking to convert there h2.

LoJac963 11-24-2013 05:28 PM

I think the majority of us would LOVE the sound of a diesel and turbo in the thing being as its such a big vehicle. However the majority of us agree that spending that amount of money is just plain ridiculous. I'd rather drop $30k and have an LS7 dropped in my Saturn Sky Redline with twin turbos lol.

KruBruder 11-24-2013 06:06 PM

I think the wiring would be the biggest challenge. The best part is that you have everything you need. You'll have to cross reference electrical schematics for both vehicles and examine what is different. It would just take some thinking. I can be done. The argument about how ridiculous a project like this is just.....ridiculous. Ridiculous is a relative term. The amount of money you will have in this will probably be less than $12,000 assuming that you got the donor truck for around $7-8,000. How much would anyone have in a typical hot rod that they build themselves. That would put all these small town race car enthusiasts in the same ridiculous category. A lot of guys don't understand the added pride of building something yourself and couldn't call you out if you told them your master cylinder wasn't firing 6 degrees off TDC. Ridiculous is having vehicles that get 10MPG or less as daily drivers. I have 2 because I want to. So let me know how it goes because I plan on doing some ridiculous conversion to mine too.

H2duramax 11-24-2013 06:06 PM

I wouldn't have mine if I hadn't found it complete and at an amazing price. Actually I'd have the new ford explorer that my wife had sent me to look at the day I found this thing... boy was she shocked when I came home with this instead of the grocery getter she sent me to look at. It was a rough night...

H2Miami 11-24-2013 08:31 PM

Well Like Kirk said it is about wanting something , not trying to make or spend wise money ... There was someone selling a white SUT which looked it really great with a Duramax for around $60k . I dont think it sold too easy ..

Either way it is a great truck with a Duramax will be a better beast if you have the $ to spend on it and dont plan to sell it to make money .. Go for it

REBREATHER In your case may have sense to invest in a 50k truck to increase the value however for us in USA isnt the same , you can find a H2 here in the states easily for under $15k , of course depending on year,mileage and condition
For 100k you can get a Alpha H1 with Duramax and everything you can dream about it .. Still dont sells like candy

@H2duramax "boy was she shocked when I came home with this instead of the grocery getter she sent me to look at. It was a rough night..." ... LOL that was funny

H2CANEPADESIGN 11-27-2013 05:40 PM

We do it because we're gearheads. I want a hummer that isn't like anyone else's. I prefers sleepers personally. no mods noticeable on the outside. but all kick ass on the inside. Mine looks stock until I step on the gas, lift the hood or look underneath it. That's always been my taste but everyone is different. I would do the duramax conversion in a heartbeat if I had no other projects going atm.

Tony1 12-19-2013 07:19 AM

@H2duramax...same thing happened to me. Found a great deal on my '03, had wanted one for quite some time, came home with it, and I've been paying for it ever since. My wife was so angry and every time we go out of the house I get this "look" from her when the 2 is in her sights. LOL, it's worth it though!

Captchee 12-19-2013 06:22 PM

I guess im lucky as my wife wanted the H2 . In fact we wanted one when they first came out , just couldn’t aford it .
As to the Duramax swap . Im considering the same thing or even a Cummings swap .
Now understand folks im new to the Hummer but im not new to modifying vehicles. Im having a hard time here understanding what the possible issues could come up that doesn’t come up with any other engine swap concerning any other vehicle.
I can see where the wiring could be an issue but then even that is a mater of either placing the sensors correctly or tricking the ECM into thinking those sensors are there .

Now maybe its just me and my ,as of yet lack of knowledge concerning the hummer ,but IMO one of the issues is that the hummer is terribly under powered for the design . Thus the conversion would not only correct that but also correct the issue with the lower mileage . You could also at the same time correct the issue with not having a 2 wheel drive selection for the transfer case .
Case in point
My 2003 dodge 1 ton dually 4x4 gets 21-24mpg with the cummings and a 6 speed .
Different cross section I know . But its also near 2000lbs heavier . When I put my 2004 artic fox in the bed , the cross section is greater then the H2 hummer and the wieght goes up to near 5000lbs over the hummer . I still pull 17-20 on the open road here in the NW .
I found the same thing with my IH . Folks told me I couldn’t swap a V engine into a scout which was built with a strait 4 cylinder without a lot of work . Well they were wrong . Not only did I do that with very little problem but I also fuel injected the V6 and mated it to the T19 which held up fine for many years .
Most recently I did a trany swap to a 700r4 .

So my point is that I wondering here what exactly the issues for this person really would be .
Yes he will need new mounts both trany and engine . Radiator may need to be moved and changed . drive shafts will change .
When it comes to wiring , are you guys saying that no one had came up with an after market trany and engine harness for this swap ? If not why .
No one has came up with a list of wiring mods or corrections for the do it yourself folks , if not , why ?

As I said , I to am reading this thread with interest, but frankly I cannot , no mater how I work the numbers , understand the cost of this conversion unless your using a completely new engine and trany

isn’t Predator the guys down in Arizona. If it is then they say they also purchase a donor vehicle unless a new drive train is requested . Swap takes 3-4 days depending on the options one chooses .
That tells me that they have the wiring harness figured out rather well . Probably to the point its plug and play

Could you hummer knowledgeable folks maybe go alittle more into what maybe involved ?
Because frankly these prices and issues that I keep reading about seem frankly and sadly to really more about only a few folks actualy doing them and then charging what they want because they are working on a Hummer .
As to why , why not . Frankly for me there is no excuse for driving around in something you don’t want or just don’t quite like .

Captchee 12-19-2013 06:47 PM

i also just realized that if a person isnt really mecanicly inclined , doesnt have exsperiance in doing mods and building needed parts . themn maybe they would be better off paying a reputable shop to do the swap reguardless of the cost . other wise you could end up with 2 non runing rigs in your yard and neather worth anything other then parts :(

sakodik 12-19-2013 11:50 PM

Good luck if you do your build. I'm jelly in my 4 speed 6.5TD. Send your spare duramax to me!

elkgrunt 12-20-2013 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by Captchee (Post 305870)
I guess im lucky as my wife wanted the H2 . In fact we wanted one when they first came out , just couldn’t aford it .
As to the Duramax swap . Im considering the same thing or even a Cummings swap .
Now understand folks im new to the Hummer but im not new to modifying vehicles. Im having a hard time here understanding what the possible issues could come up that doesn’t come up with any other engine swap concerning any other vehicle.
I can see where the wiring could be an issue but then even that is a mater of either placing the sensors correctly or tricking the ECM into thinking those sensors are there .

Now maybe its just me and my ,as of yet lack of knowledge concerning the hummer ,but IMO one of the issues is that the hummer is terribly under powered for the design . Thus the conversion would not only correct that but also correct the issue with the lower mileage . You could also at the same time correct the issue with not having a 2 wheel drive selection for the transfer case .
Case in point
My 2003 dodge 1 ton dually 4x4 gets 21-24mpg with the cummings and a 6 speed .
Different cross section I know . But its also near 2000lbs heavier . When I put my 2004 artic fox in the bed , the cross section is greater then the H2 hummer and the wieght goes up to near 5000lbs over the hummer . I still pull 17-20 on the open road here in the NW .
I found the same thing with my IH . Folks told me I couldn’t swap a V engine into a scout which was built with a strait 4 cylinder without a lot of work . Well they were wrong . Not only did I do that with very little problem but I also fuel injected the V6 and mated it to the T19 which held up fine for many years .
Most recently I did a trany swap to a 700r4 .

So my point is that I wondering here what exactly the issues for this person really would be .
Yes he will need new mounts both trany and engine . Radiator may need to be moved and changed . drive shafts will change .
When it comes to wiring , are you guys saying that no one had came up with an after market trany and engine harness for this swap ? If not why .
No one has came up with a list of wiring mods or corrections for the do it yourself folks , if not , why ?

As I said , I to am reading this thread with interest, but frankly I cannot , no mater how I work the numbers , understand the cost of this conversion unless your using a completely new engine and trany

isn’t Predator the guys down in Arizona. If it is then they say they also purchase a donor vehicle unless a new drive train is requested . Swap takes 3-4 days depending on the options one chooses .
That tells me that they have the wiring harness figured out rather well . Probably to the point its plug and play

Could you hummer knowledgeable folks maybe go alittle more into what maybe involved ?
Because frankly these prices and issues that I keep reading about seem frankly and sadly to really more about only a few folks actualy doing them and then charging what they want because they are working on a Hummer .
As to why , why not . Frankly for me there is no excuse for driving around in something you don’t want or just don’t quite like .

I like how you're thinking, I would love to do a Cummings swap myself or Duramax.

Captchee 12-20-2013 06:50 AM

Good morning .
In reading my post this morning , it seems to me like a may have came across with the wrong impression .
If I stepped on anyone’s toes , I apologize for that .
I just found it rather odd and while reading thread after thread on the H2 , it suddenly dawned on my that the Hummer communities seemed to me to be going through much of what the International light line communities went through after IH shut down .
With the exception that the a whole lot of IH folks had been doing mods of all kinds on their vehicles for decades .
What we do however have in common , at least IMO is that we have a set number of Retailers that provide stock parts , modified parts and do restorations .
However a lot of those offerings come from applications where folks have just went out , collected parts and did the mod themselves .
Suddenly when you find a retailer offering the mod in a package , that mod costs hundreds of bucks when the original mod was way cheaper .
But that’s ok because the retailer is targeting those folks who cant for what ever reason dive into the project on their own .
Also what happens is sometimes those retailer charge high bucks because they claim Hours upon hours of R&D to get things to work . They then charge high bucks and the mod becomes bread and butter as long as they can protect their knowledge .
that’s ok , that’s how things work and frankly 2 thumbs up to them for doing that .

BUT the bad side to that is suddenly the cost becomes to high for the average owner and the whole line suffers .
Myself I don’t see hummer ever coming back on the market . At least not at what it once was . The price of the hummer line for the most part seems to be dropping drastically.
At some time the following will have to get reduced to a group of folks that at loyal to the vehicle Just as the IH folks are . Its those folks who are going to advance the vehicle and keep them around and out of the crusher yards .
Thus I wonder with all the folks now seeming to say ; why put 25K into a 10K vehicle. I just have to wonder why we are not asking why they cost is 25K to begin with .

I don’t know , maybe im rambling here but I just don’t see it . Especially if the only real big issue is the wiring .

H2duramax 12-20-2013 11:37 AM

My duramax and Allison went in my truck with only 9 miles on them. The original owner paid through the teeth for this low mileage conversion. All the companies I have talked to that are doing these conversions now are offering them with motors that start out with 50k or more on them. I think preadator and mashmotors are both in the thirties for the base conversion. Duraburb offers a less expensive conversion but his are higher mileage. I was lucky to get mine already completed and with less than 10k on the new drive line and for a great price. If it wasn't for dumb luck I would not have mine.

GroceryGettinH2 01-09-2014 11:30 AM

I wish I knew about these conversion before I bought mine. I would have either bought one already converted, or a bought a high mileage H2 instead. With the money I would have saved by picking up a high mileage H2, I could have paid to had the conversion done.

Unfortunately, I wasn't aware of the conversions and bought a MINT 07 with only 30k miles on it. Don't get me wrong, I love the one we bought. Its just that the price I paid for this one is equal to what I would have paid had I opted for a high mileage one and paid for the conversion (give or take). Oh well.

I plan on eventually having the conversion done since I have no plans of ever getting rid of it.

skeptic 01-09-2014 01:18 PM

For a completely different idea....

What about starting with a diesel truck donor and an Urban Gorilla kit? I know it's not a real Hummer, but you'd get a diesel engine, solid axles, short overhangs, and general Hummer H1 like styling. With available lifts, lockers, gears, big tires, etc. you can get whatever off-road ability you need. Nobody who knows what a Hummer looks like is going to confuse the two, but it really depends on what you are after.

If you care about the Hummer brand name on the side, this isn't a good option. If you want a rugged diesel powered full size SUV, customized to your liking, with H1 styling it could be a good option. They are kinda ugly compared to the front/rear of an actual Hummer, but it's a good kinda ugly if such a thing is possible. I believe it's a whole lot cheaper than a $35k diesel swap.

beemc 02-19-2014 07:22 AM

i bought a 09 silverado 4x4 duramax and i am about to start the swap i plan on swapping everything all wiring and computers i will pull the dashes out and swap everything behind it so all the computers and wiring will be from the truck so it should work i hope lol

elkgrunt 02-19-2014 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by beemc (Post 308573)
i bought a 09 silverado 4x4 duramax and i am about to start the swap i plan on swapping everything all wiring and computers i will pull the dashes out and swap everything behind it so all the computers and wiring will be from the truck so it should work i hope lol

Please keep us posted

euc 02-19-2014 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by Man1nboat (Post 304793)
I called Predator the other day and the conversion costs $32K an d takes 30-45 days to complete. The soonest they could get you in would be March unless you opt of the express package for an additional $5K. They only work on your vehicle until it is completed and you get to be there during the major conversion milestones. The contract calls for 10% down to schedule a slot, 40% once started and 50% upon completion. I am getting the 450HP/900Torque package next year...

Do you have a build price sheet, like an order or quote that they gave to you? If so would you be willing to post this online so people can see what the costs are involved in this project. Having owned a diesel in the past I can attest to the diesel engine itself costing $8k-$10k and I would imagine the Allison costing $2k-$3k.

This would leave the additional "parts & labor" plus any additional features you add around $15k-$17k.

euc 02-19-2014 07:41 PM

I just found this if anyone is interested.

Diesel Conversion Packages H1 H2 Hummer Truck SUV Conversions - Clean Futures

euc 02-19-2014 08:06 PM

Here is the DIY page.

DIY Diesel Conversion Kit Hummer Duramax Engine Increase MPG Horsepower - Clean Futures

jmudler 02-20-2014 09:55 AM

I love the idea, and you would recoup some cost by selling the original H2 motor etc. Before I would personally drop 32K, I would sell my H2 add the $32K and hunt for a H1 :D

euc 02-20-2014 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by jmudler (Post 308638)
I love the idea, and you would recoup some cost by selling the original H2 motor etc. Before I would personally drop 32K, I would sell my H2 add the $32K and hunt for a H1 :D

I agree with you. I think the H2 is good for a "light" version of a Hummer. I personally am not going to put a diesel in an H2.... I might add some performance modifications, possibly a supercharger, and other things to accommodate the gas engine.

If I wanted to go with a diesel Hummer, in my opinion, I would go with an H1.

I would buy as cheap of a H1 as I could get my hands on. Then I would buy a 5.9L Cummins, and get that in and running, while I look for a good Allison transmission to bolt up to it. From there its diesel performance upgrades.

Helga She Is Fine 02-23-2014 07:42 PM

We can add this to the collection of sites. It doesn't look as professional, but if they do good work, who cares? Looks to be a tad cheaper too!Duramax Hummer H2 Conversion

euc 02-24-2014 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by Helga She Is Fine (Post 308839)
We can add this to the collection of sites. It doesn't look as professional, but if they do good work, who cares? Looks to be a tad cheaper too!Duramax Hummer H2 Conversion

very nice

Helga She Is Fine 03-08-2014 02:37 PM

Look what I found on eBay! Predator also. Hummer H2 6 6L Diesel | eBay

calif phil 03-08-2014 03:21 PM

WOW That thing looks like new. I wonder what it will bring?

H2duramax 03-08-2014 06:12 PM

Good looking truck... there is a 2008 sut duramax conversion with super low miles on autotrader right now for like $90,000...
I would have posted a link but I can't ever make anything like that happen from my phone.

Dmd4ukmc@aol.com 03-11-2014 03:47 PM

I have a 2003 H2 that I love. Have had problems, seals leaking, most plastic connectors rotting, Interior needs help. We have been looking at new vehicles but nothing interests me. I am considering the Diesel conversion, spoken with Mashmotors a couple times. My question to anyone that had done it, what problems am I looking at going forward? A new vehicle is in the 60,000 range or higher. If I do the conversion for $40 and another $10-$15 for the interior, will I have a new vehicle? Or will I continue to have other issues?

calif phil 03-11-2014 05:34 PM

It will never be new again. I would look for a low miles used H2 and trade up a few years.

jsbihn 03-11-2014 06:07 PM

I think the only benefit to having new is the fact that 1) they give you a warranty and 2) the fact that you normally dont have much worry about issues.

With that said, if you spend some money on your rig you can avoid a car payment and yet theings will be new... that is the things you replace. If you do a new interior... then you have a new interior. If you have a new engine... then you have a new engine.

Usually the biggest issues are with movable parts, so I would concern myself with new as much as what you have done and how it is your truck.

Captchee 03-12-2014 06:52 AM

While it may be true that the vehicle will never be new again , that’s only because of the definition of “New”
That being said , you can have a vehicle that’s like new or better then new .
When it comes to value . IMO the Hummers , were all drastically over priced to begin with . But in all fairness so are just about all vehicles made today . The cost of the labor and the added numbers being built make for a very big loss the minute you drive them off the lot . Frankly its ridicules.

So here is m2 cents concerning your question .
You will be better of in the long run fixing , repairing and upgrading what you have .
Set down and consider how much it would cost you to put a complete new drive train in your H2 . Now compare that cost to what a “new “ vehicle will cost you. Especial if you do the wretch turning yourself .
If you making payments , don’t forget to add in the interest.

Also consider this .
Many of us older folks have been through this all before.
I remember my father buying new chevy blazers truck for less then 5000 right off the show room floor .. I bought my first car , a 1967 GTO Judge , fully loaded for 950.00 in 1980 . The only thing I put in that “Goat ’ was a new starter . Very few people wanted such a vehicle as the cost of gas was just to high to run them .
I drove the heck out of it . In 1995 after slapping a new engine , new gears in the rear , new paint and some work on the interior , I sold it for 18 thousand . It wasn’t new but try and buy one today for that price . Look for a restored one and see what it costs ya .
My 1970 Scout 800 A I have at least 2-3 times the money put into it then what it sold new for in 1970 . But I also have replaced the engine with a 4.3 , fuel injection , new interior , disc breaks. Different transmission ………
It wasn’t to long ago no one wanted the scouts either . a lot of times you could get one for the cost of just driving it away from someone’s place
IMO the hummers will be the very same way in another 20 years .

So learn to repair what you have . Rebuild it , consider it an investment not only in long term value but also in yourself .
For me I bought my H2 for my wife as a daily driver . It will some day get an engine swap . The prices of those swaps will come down just as they always have. Hell look at how much they have already dropped it wont be long tell the wiring kits will be a lot cheaper.

Myself , ill never buy another new vehicle .im simply done with paying group of people 100 plus an hour to snap plastic parts together
===========================
I think the only benefit to having new is the fact that 1) they give you a warranty and 2) the fact that you normally dont have much worry about issues.
==============================================

ya but thats only covers some things and anymore those parts that are covered go out the largest % of the time after the warranty is up .

so you paid more for the new car . way more with intrest and once you drive it off the lot , its worth about 1/2 what you paid for it . by the time the warranty is up , its worth 1/4 or less of what you paid for it .

beemc 03-14-2014 07:09 AM

i have the engine and transmission mounted on the hummer frame and i also swapped the front diff next thing is the fuel lines and tank

Rags747 03-15-2014 04:02 AM

1st year for the Judge was 69...