PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Duramax conversion

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 10:26 PM
Default Duramax conversion

We'reconverting our company owned 2005 H2 to diesel using a new 2006 LBZ Duramax and transfer case, and 2007 6 speed Allison. The original drivetrain is out, and we've welded in supports for the motor and added brace that came out of an HD truck. Since this is going to have a twin turboso we've done some supporting fuel system upgrades, and addedsome clutches to the trans and am looking for a good torque converter.

So far everything seems to fit, I'll post updates as we get closer to finishing everything.

Any tips from anyone who has done this?

Todd

Old 01-10-2009, 07:58 AM
Default RE: Duramax conversion

That will be a nice change when you get it done. Are you taking pictures along the way? It would be cool to see all that is required.

Old 01-10-2009, 03:39 PM

keep us informed!!! i got two more years till mine is paid for!! then im doing a conversion i believe,,, good luck cant wait to see her when u r done!

andy

Old 01-10-2009, 04:53 PM

What does this cost in total parts and labor to have done. I have thought about this for my wifes H2 but never looked into it.

Thank You

Old 01-11-2009, 07:24 PM

I'll take some pics this week.

The engine was new, trans has 16k miles as does xfer case. I paid $10k for all 3. When all is said and done I'll let you know what the labor was. This is a joint venture with my company (Aeroforce Technology Inc) and a local Diesel shop so it may be hard to quantify some of the labor charges.

I'm currently debating about the pistons/rods. I'm getting conflicting info on whether or not these should be upgraded as long as the motor is still out.

I've spent a lot of time behind the wheel of this thing both on and off road so I can give a pretty good comparison of the 6.0L and the Duramax.

Todd

Old 02-09-2009, 04:07 AM

Nice way to go...twin turbo-ing. You'd be better off this way rather than dealing with firewall issues. I remember doing an 03 about 3 years ago. It was a nightmare.
The on-star system needs to be bypassed or tricked. The whole wiring harness from the D-max was used; retained the H2's orginal harness for interior accessories. Wiring alone took 2 weeks to get right. Shift linkages...all custom made.
Motor mounts was custom fabricated..so was the transmission mount. The engine, trans, t case were bolted in an angle and not horizontal for clearance issues.
The half shafts and drive shafts were custom made
The turbo and downpipe on the D-max kept the "FIRE-wall" HOT and toasty. The whole exhaust was custom made from downpipe to tailpipe. Total price tag was around $ 25k and took 8 weeks. Parts were off a totaled 03 Sierra 2500HD with 22k mi( $ 16,000 the whole wrecked truck)

Would I do it again? Probably not, but sure love to drive it.

Old 06-27-2021, 09:38 AM
Default Wiring harness

Originally Posted by h2dieselman
Nice way to go...twin turbo-ing. You'd be better off this way rather than dealing with firewall issues. I remember doing an 03 about 3 years ago. It was a nightmare.
The on-star system needs to be bypassed or tricked. The whole wiring harness from the D-max was used; retained the H2's orginal harness for interior accessories. Wiring alone took 2 weeks to get right. Shift linkages...all custom made.
Motor mounts was custom fabricated..so was the transmission mount. The engine, trans, t case were bolted in an angle and not horizontal for clearance issues.
The half shafts and drive shafts were custom made
The turbo and downpipe on the D-max kept the "FIRE-wall" HOT and toasty. The whole exhaust was custom made from downpipe to tailpipe. Total price tag was around $ 25k and took 8 weeks. Parts were off a totaled 03 Sierra 2500HD with 22k mi( $ 16,000 the whole wrecked truck)

Would I do it again? Probably not, but sure love to drive it.
that’s awesome
i know it’s been a long time since you posted here I did mine a few years ago but never was able to get the wiring quite right
do you remember what you had to do to work?

Old 03-16-2022, 04:26 PM
Default h2 diesel

Originally Posted by Maxxr
that’s awesome
i know it’s been a long time since you posted here I did mine a few years ago but never was able to get the wiring quite right
do you remember what you had to do to work?
i am finishing mine and have questions about the transfer case wiring.

Old 03-16-2022, 04:29 PM

i got mine to crank with key and remote start. having some trouble with the transfer case wiring. going to get the transfer case control module from lbz and see if that works. 05 hummer h2 with 07 lbz drivetrain. got the drivetrain in and finally got it to crank and run.

Old 03-19-2022, 12:47 PM

Predator Inc. does quite a few of these duramax conversions. They may be able to help with your questions.

Quick Reply: Duramax conversion