PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Drive Shaft Snapped, Sitting in parking lot

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2014, 02:30 PM
Angry Drive Shaft Snapped, Sitting in parking lot

For several months, I have heard some clanking and viewed rpm bouncing when I slow from about 10-15 mph to a complete stop. I just got finished cleaning the maf sensor and throttle body per a great forum write-up. I drove the truck around for a few minutes and noticed that the rpm wasn't bouncing any more when I came to a stop and thought I fixed the issue. 2-3 minutes latter, i noticed something strange and hard to describe. I parked the car, put it in reverse, and then heard a few loud sounds, truck would not back up. Put it back in park, and the truck rolled forward, so I applied the parking brake. Got underneath and saw that the drive shaft was on the ground towards the rear. See pics. What do you think happened that caused this? Right now, its just sitting in a parking lot. I appreciate your thoughts on this and where to go from here. Thanks

Attached Thumbnails Drive Shaft Snapped, Sitting in parking lot-photo-2.jpg   Drive Shaft Snapped, Sitting in parking lot-photo-1.jpg   Drive Shaft Snapped, Sitting in parking lot-photo-3.jpg   Drive Shaft Snapped, Sitting in parking lot-photo-4.jpg   Drive Shaft Snapped, Sitting in parking lot-photo-5.jpg  

Old 10-05-2014, 03:33 PM

lack of maintenance.
that u joint had to making noise for a while creaking squeaking. you might want to replace all the u joints. if you take the drive shafts off most speed shops will change them for you cheaper then a garage. and if that drive shaft is shot try a auto recycle,good luckr

Old 10-05-2014, 04:32 PM

The driveshaft did NOT "snap". The u-joint did "snap", Due to LACK of maintenance.

Do you hear an abnormal noise? Fix it, before your rig breaks down!

Live and learn.

Old 10-06-2014, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by woodwardsh3
lack of maintenance.
that u joint had to making noise for a while creaking squeaking. you might want to replace all the u joints. if you take the drive shafts off most speed shops will change them for you cheaper then a garage. and if that drive shaft is shot try a auto recycle,good luckr
So creaking/squeaking noise is actually an indicator of bad U-joints? Reason I ask, is because my rig is squeaky as hell, riding over bumps or when it rocks side to side. I thought it was the shocks or that I needed bushings or something. Are the U-joints an easy fix? Would this cause the truck to feel like it were stumbling (similar to symptoms of a dirty TB), as mine feels like I'm riding over rumble strips/grooves that you see on the shoulder and center lane of highways; usually feels that way coming to a stop (all of the time)/turning/backing up.

Old 10-06-2014, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by lostsoul77
So creaking/squeaking noise is actually an indicator of bad U-joints? Reason I ask, is because my rig is squeaky as hell, riding over bumps or when it rocks side to side. I thought it was the shocks or that I needed bushings or something. Are the U-joints an easy fix? Would this cause the truck to feel like it were stumbling (similar to symptoms of a dirty TB), as mine feels like I'm riding over rumble strips/grooves that you see on the shoulder and center lane of highways; usually feels that way coming to a stop (all of the time)/turning/backing up.
Yup....U joints.
I JUST had my done after I noticed some "clunking" when putting it in gear and some wicked vibrations at certain low and high speed ranges.
Brought it in the shop and after $150.00, it was back to smooooooth sailing.

Old 10-06-2014, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Neon
Yup....U joints.
I JUST had my done after I noticed some "clunking" when putting it in gear and some wicked vibrations at certain low and high speed ranges.
Brought it in the shop and after $150.00, it was back to smooooooth sailing.
I'll be getting this fixed ASAP! Thanks!

Old 10-06-2014, 01:10 PM

lostsoul77, could be the u joints or the front hub bearing assembly. Jack the front end up and check to see if you have play in the bearings.

Old 10-06-2014, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by TAINTER
lostsoul77, could be the u joints or the front hub bearing assembly. Jack the front end up and check to see if you have play in the bearings.
Tainter,

I had both bearings replaced about a year ago. The truck will make the squeaking noises while stepping out of it, or if I bounce it by pushing on the front bumper. The stumbling is always when i'm coming to a stop, and when I resume (get off the brake, and on the gas from a stop sign for example) I hear a loud clanking noise like gears trying to catch/engage. I changed the plugs and cleaned the TB a year ago....Latest thing it's been doing randomly is shutting down, no warning or anything; I'll slow down into a turn or off of an exit ramp for example and it just shuts off....no real way to tell when it will do it though...

Old 10-06-2014, 03:11 PM

lostsoul77 when you go from park to drive you get a clunk then stop an put in reveres and let of the break you get a clunk that is a good indicator of bad u joints or they will squeal at slow speed and vibration at times. sounds like you may have some other problems old bushing
or shocks you have a front drive shaft as well if the back is bad the front is probably getting bad to. maybe someone here lives by you and can take a look

Old 10-07-2014, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by woodwardsh3
lostsoul77 when you go from park to drive you get a clunk then stop an put in reveres and let of the break you get a clunk that is a good indicator of bad u joints or they will squeal at slow speed and vibration at times. sounds like you may have some other problems old bushing
or shocks you have a front drive shaft as well if the back is bad the front is probably getting bad to. maybe someone here lives by you and can take a look
woodwardsh3,

I usually get the clunk while coasting. For instance, if i'm coasting at about 20mph and the truck begins slowing up on its own, and I suddenly hit the gas to speed it back up, I get the clunk noise.

As for the stumbling, it looks like I'll be cleaning the TB this evening as i'm stalling everytime I come to a complete stop and expecially if stopping downhill. While coasting, I see the RPMs bouncing from 500 to 1000 with rough idle. While idling in park or neutral, I can hit the gas and get the stumbling as well. I didn't think we had to clean the TB every year but its looking that way and this sudden stalling is very frustrating.

Quick Reply: Drive Shaft Snapped, Sitting in parking lot