PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DNX8120 Bluetooth is great

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 01:30 PM
Default DNX8120 Bluetooth is great

I just got my phone paired to my new radio, the kenwood DNX8120 and love it. The sound quality is great sounds even better than the onstar hands free phone. I would recommend that radio upgrade to anyone so far I like everything about it.

Old 03-27-2009, 08:59 PM

It says here http://www.crutchfield.com/S-z0SHVMY...8120&inst=9455 ...that you'll lose your XM radio did that happen to you? Because this is just what i was lookin for but i want to keep the XM

Old 03-30-2009, 09:18 AM

The DNX8120 is capable of being setup for XM. I dont have XM myself. (I have a 64gb flash drive plugged in and an ipod that I listen to most of the time) You would lose your current factory setup and would have to setup again with the new receiver. It's just a crutchfield blanket warning. Not specific to that system.

Old 03-30-2009, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by dunringil
I just got my phone paired to my new radio, the kenwood DNX8120 and love it. The sound quality is great sounds even better than the onstar hands free phone. I would recommend that radio upgrade to anyone so far I like everything about it.
Where is your microphone located for your bluetooth? I also have a DNX8120. When I use bluetooth, the person on the other end cannot hear me well. Mine is located about where the arrow points on this pic (next to the glass):
Name:  Picture4-1.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  21.9 KB

Old 03-30-2009, 06:16 PM

The bluetooth connectivity that comes with them seems to work great. If that is even better then WOW!

Old 03-31-2009, 08:59 AM
Default Where is the microphone.

He installed it right above the windshield on the very edge of the headliner with a crimp fitting. This way if I ever wanted to remove it, it would not leave a trace. It actually works better than the onstar mic that is mounted overhead. When I use the onstar mic I have to tilt my head upward and talk into it. Even though the DNX8120 bluetooth is farther away it picks up better because it is in the direct line of my mouth when I am facing forward. This all makes sense once I think about it. Sound being a compression wave emenates from the source with a conical expansion area. Your voice bombards the mic in front of you but just grazes the mic overhead when facing forward.

Do not install a mic overhead or to either side, place it as directly in front of your mouth as possible. The distance of separation does not seem to be that important. I am 6'2" and sit a good ways back on the seat track and my mic is as far away as possible, but in front of me. Being sepearted actually allows the conical pattern to expand and surround the mic more

Ok, I'm thinking too much, had too much coffee this morning. I was a physics major in college about 20 years ago.

BTW, my cell number is 336-964-1035 if you wanna check it out, I'm usually in the hummer at 5:10pm est every day after work. Looks like yours is installed to the right of mine. Mine is directly above the center of the steering wheel. If you turn your head and talk at the rearview, does it improve? if not, you may have a bad mic. You can buy higher quality mics. The stock mic is working fine for me.

Last edited by dunringil; 03-31-2009 at 09:09 AM.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by dunringil
If you turn your head and talk at the rearview, does it improve? if not, you may have a bad mic. You can buy higher quality mics. The stock mic is working fine for me.
My mic is in about the same position as yours. I always end up leaning into the steering wheel and yelling towards the mic and they still have trouble hearing me. I have other issues with my DNX8120 such as extremely poor satellite radio sound quality. I know satellite audio quality is not the best but mine is horrible. I also expected better sound quality from the iPod, specially for what these head units cost! I'm just gathering more info to take back to where I bought it and requesting a replacement. Thanks for your input!