PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Differences between Colorado/ H3T (details please)

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 06:30 PM
Default Differences between Colorado/ H3T (details please)

I've done a quick search and I can't find any real details. So what are the technical differences?

More info than just "the suspension set ups are different". But specifics would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance.

Old 05-24-2010, 07:33 PM

And why do you ask?

Reason I say this, when I first bought mine, I was having my new Navi double din head unit installed at Best Buy and was standing in the install bay waiting and 2 guys walked up and started gawking at my truck. Then they start saying it's just an overpriced Colorado. I didn't take well to this. So after a little education, they finally agreed that it wasn't just an overpriced Colorado in disguise.

Old 05-24-2010, 07:50 PM

One big reason is for personal knowledge. I like to learn about my cars/trucks when I get them, so that I can accurately discuss topics on various forums.

And another is, ofcourse, I have already heard the Overpriced Colorado/Canyon already.

So what education did you provide them, and would you share it with me?

I found a few threads in the H3 section, but still found nothing with specifics listed.

It would be nice to have a bulletin style post of the differences between the two.

Old 05-24-2010, 11:05 PM

Where to start:

H3T and Colorado/Canyon share only 10% of their parts which are mostly drivetrain related (engine and trans).

The H3T has a stretched version of the H3 frame and suspension. As you may or may not know the frame of the H3 is very different from the Canyon/Colorado. GM took the Canyon/Colorado frame, added two extra crossmembers, bracing for the body mounts and boxed the front and rear. Below is a side by side of the 2.

Name:  X06AR_HM0081.jpg
Views: 8915
Size:  79.7 KB

Stronger front Alum. diff. (colorado uses a clamshell in the front)
Totaly different front diff (cast iron on the 08-10 Alphas and 09-10 I5Adventures)
Stronger axles
Stronger half shafts
Stronger tie rods
Different brakes
Different rack and pinion
Different shocks and torsion bars
Different Rear Hotchkis spring packs
Stronger transfer-case
Front/Rear disc
Upgraded brake systems

I could go on but I hope you get the point, they are more different than alike!

Last edited by TAINTER; 05-24-2010 at 11:13 PM.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:19 PM

Thanks that helps.. Good info.

Old 05-24-2010, 11:21 PM

I've read that 10% thing a few times. I am guessing the AC **** is one part and the engine is one part.. which is kinda misleading..

If that is the case.. I can see the 10%--- But any car with the same engine and transmission. Seems to have more in common than 10%-- but not if you count every minor detail as equal.

Anyone know where that 10% thing came from?

Old 05-25-2010, 10:12 AM

It isn't hard to see the 10% thing if you get an H3T and a Colorado becide eachother... I had such an opportunity when I bought my H3T and it was astounding how different they are.

Simply put the H3T uses a heavily modified Colorado frame, the same engine... and I think the same transmission. Everything from the tranny back is different... aside from that they are two totally different vehicles.

If you don't believe me go test drive one against the other, it is very easy to justify getting the H3T over the Colorado considering the price difference is not that big between them (well, for me it wasn't... they might be asking full price now that they are so limited in numbers)

Old 05-25-2010, 10:37 AM

no they are discounting them heavily---

Old 06-22-2010, 02:25 PM
Banned

HUGE difference between the 2. Tainter did a splendid job explaining it.

But first and FOREMOST, the frame. The frame in these is an industrial achievement, having a fully boxed ladder frame. My Ford buddy who loves F250's and SuperDuties didn't believe me it was a fully boxed ladder frame, saying that ONLY highend heavy duty pickups have such frames. Upon climbing under the truck and looking, he believed me. These HUMMERS are 1/2 ton trucks.. teh same as a silverado or sierra.

The transmissions in them are ultra heavy duty and derived from australian 400hp sports cars (holden, to be exact).

I LOVEEEE when people compare these to Colorados and canyons though, because they are NOTHING alike.

Nice post, Tainter.

Old 06-28-2010, 07:38 PM

I have been told the same crap that the H3 is the same vehicle as a Colorado/Canyon. Well, you decide: Here is my H3 parked next to a co-workers Colorado. WOW, they look so A-like.

Here's another shot showing how close they look LOL , by the way, how many times have you heard" the H3 isnt really a Hummer" then why does my Title call it a Hummer?

Name:  004-4.jpg
Views: 4833
Size:  61.4 KB

Quick Reply: Differences between Colorado/ H3T (details please)