PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did Towing Kill My Transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 10:42 AM
Default Did Towing Kill My Transmission?

NeedHelp!
2005 H2 SUT Chronological Towing Summary:

5000lbs cargo trailer first 240 miles
5000lbs cargo trailer with 700 pounds of cargo next 240 miles
5000lbs cargo trailer next 320 miles
5000lbs cargo trailer with SUPERCHARGER andFORGOT to useTOW MODE next70 miles.
5000lbscargo trailer with 1200lbs of cargo and SUPERCHARGER andFORGOT to use TOW MODE next 4 miles AND THE TRANSMISSION STOPPED WORKING AND TRANS. FLUID SMELLS BURNED!!!! .....on Christmas Eve....in heavy traffic!

Owners Manual states the Max. Trailer Weight we can tow is 6,700 lbs.Of the 874towing miles in two years,I towed 5,000 lbs for 630 miles, 5,700 lbs for 240 miles and 6,200 lbs for 4 miles. I forgot to use Tow Modewhen towing 5,000 lbs 70 miles (but the transmission stopped "kicking down" since I had the supercharger installed and towed the trailer much easier).I also forgot to use Tow Mode when towing 6,200 lbs. the last 4 miles of the transmissions life. Therefore, I did not use Tow Mode for a total of 74 miles.

What killed my transmission?
A. Defective Transmission
B. Not Using Tow Mode 100% of towing miles
C.Weak Transmission Design

I have to tow 6200 lbs on a regular basis and I amon a budget, thereforeI am trying to decide if I should:
A. Install a low miles used transmissionmyself and keep the H2; or
B. Install a low miles used transmission myselfand trade H2 for Dodge Turbo Diesel

....oh yeah, Happy Holidays![8D]

Old 12-25-2007, 12:52 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Did Towing Kill My Transmission?

Supercharger with a crappy trannydesign killed it.... IMHO...

Don't you still have a warranty?

Old 12-25-2007, 02:56 PM

Dito on the Warranty issue, plus it seems you are entering into the tranny limits, though you could send your tranny oil to get tested (like they do for motor oil) before you take it in to have some facts about the condition of your tranny. But note that the supercharger will/might cause a controversy with the dealer. Plus having a supercharger you are stressing the tranny in two ways, one the increased power and torque from the engine as well as stressing the tranny with towing, I know it does't sound like it makes sense but that Tow rating is with your stock power. Just a thought, the rating from GM on the tranny i.e..the H3 is rated too Max engine Trq 360 lb-ft. The HUMMER H2 ( M32 ) Maximum engine torque 400 lb-ft.

I had a Dodge but it was a 1500 with a Hemi, and the're limited as well. I would do some research ata Dodge Forum to see if they have had tranny issues. Might want to check into GMC they use anAllison tranny on some models. JMO

Old 12-25-2007, 03:23 PM
Super Moderator

unless you want that 2500 HD with the allison... they are tough...

I saw a 4x4 2500 HD with the duramax pull out a single axle dumptruck with a 16' utility trailer and a bobcat...

Old 12-25-2007, 03:26 PM
Super Moderator

and after I typed that another thought popped up...

If you have a good transmission place they may be after to rebuild yours with beefier/extra steels and clutch pieces to let it handle the extra power... might be the cheapest in the long run...

Old 12-25-2007, 05:35 PM

Thanks for the comments. This site has helped me save money and time with my business vehicle.

I have over 56,000miles and no extended warranty. I really wanted to know if the transmission is designed to tow on a regular basis, what the manual says it can tow (6700 lbs). If so, then I have a defective transmission and I will just goget aheavy duty rebuilt version.

Withmy recent install of the Magnacharger roots blower, theSUT pulls the trailer with ease. It no longer kicks down on hills anymore andif"felt" like the engine and transmission wasno longer overworking to pull it. However, in the last 214 miles of non towing and towing (with supercharger) I noticed myfuel mileage going down (yet when I first put the supercharger on, my mileage stayed about the same). Some told me that the transmission could have already began slipping without the supercharger with all the low stock engine power"kicking down" the transmission while towing. Some have said that I always had a defective transmission because my transmission was always "kicking down" even on the slightest grade with or without a trailer or supercharger.Some said it could also be a defective heat sensor or a dirty filter (I have not changed trans. filter/fluid yet).

Anyway, I am going to check prices ofused low mileage (on car-part.com found two for $875 and $1100 locally),stockrebuilt, custom rebuilt, and stealership tomorrow. I really like my SUT and I have done a lot to it. I prefer to have a customheavy duty transmission rebuilt for it and continue to use it as a tow vehicle. I will update as this situation progresses.

..must stop writing...turkey, ham, dressing, pie...credit card bills.. making me pass out [8D]

Old 12-25-2007, 07:02 PM
Super Moderator

Keep us informed... a custom rebuild is the best bet IMHO....

but in all honesty you are not the first person to blow a tranny... Bob has done it at least twice... and he isn't pulling anything...

Old 12-25-2007, 11:55 PM

did you ever change your trans fluid. My h2 is in the shop right now i have 54k miles on it and from the looks of it the fluid was never changed(i got it at 37k miles). The issue with my trans i that i have no 3rd gear. 1st and second are fine but when it hits 3rd its like you jam in into neutral.

Old 12-26-2007, 08:39 AM
Super Moderator

If you tow regularly you should always have a HD Transmission Cooler. In your case, with a power boost, ditto. When you have it put back together, just plan on adding one in.

Old 12-26-2007, 11:54 AM

No I have not changed the fluid yet....now its burnt.

Before I started towing, I asked stealershpif I shouldinstall a trans. cooler. They said, I did not need one since the trans. has an internal cooler?????????? I would prefer to have an external trans cooler with an electric fan.Yet, I do not know if it already has an external trans cooler??????????

Local GM dealership (not Hummer specific) will remove mine, install a new transmission/torque converterwith 5 year 100,000 mile warranty for $2400. Great price, except it will be another stock transmission and it will take dealership 10 days (including this weekend) to get transmission andinstall it.

Localtrans. builder (one of the best inthe entirestate and in business for 36 years) that also builds transmissions for auto dealerships across the stateand race cars, will remove mine, rebuilditand re-install it and new torque coverterwith a 6 month 6,000 mile warranty for $1300 and it will take 5 days (including this weekend) to rebuild it and install it.

Local buildersaid thattheHummer could have 2 differenttransmissions. When I told him that the panwas rectangleand 3/4 of the pan was "deeper" than the rest of the pan, he said I had the heavy duty trans. with the code ending in 65 instead of 60. He said, I already have heavy duty parts, but that we could also add a shift kit and better servo ($100 more). He saidhe could make more recommendations if needed, after he opens up mine. He saidthe dealership deal was better than his because of the longer warranty and that ifthe newdealership installed trans.did go out, he is the guy that would rebuild it anyway.

Although I like the long dealership warranty, Iwould prefer to have mine opened up and add better than stock parts where its needed.

Going out to garage now, to remove both drive lines so that we can tow the SUT to either the local dealership or the local builder tonight (if it stops snowing).

Quick Reply: Did Towing Kill My Transmission?