Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners

Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/)
-   PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/private-sale-trade-classifieds-10/)
-   -   With Deep Snow - Anyone Actually Get Stuck?? (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/private-sale-trade-classifieds-10/deep-snow-anyone-actually-get-stuck-22849/)

BlueH3 02-05-2011 11:51 AM

With Deep Snow - Anyone Actually Get Stuck??

With all the massive snow depths around lately....just curious what it takes to actually get the H3 stuck. I've bounced through some deep drifts here in Michigan but I know the other states are seeing deeper. About how deep if you experienced actually stuck and had to get out and dig etc.? If yes, do you run the stock tires?

White08H3 02-05-2011 12:13 PM

Running stock tires and haven't been stuck yet. A couple times have been close in 14"+ stuff in my drive way. I just had to change the 4wd and it went through it barely. Ice has been a lot more difficult lately.

joewcob3 02-05-2011 09:46 PM

Since I got rid of the stock wranglers, my traction in the snow is great. Got stuck my first year with stock tires in some plow-packed snow. Now it chugs thru pretty well.

AutoRoc 02-06-2011 03:07 PM

Last weekend we did some treking through the woods in Lewiston/Atlanta watching the Sno*Drift Rally and it wasn't even close to "getting stuck" depth Even up a few steep trails. I measured These Duratracs do good work. I tried to get it stuck or high centered in front of my house. It's 35"+ hardpacked plowed snow and I got stuck because traction control kicked in. So.... I turned it off and i crawled right over it. Haha

My friend also showed me how to turn the stability system off. I didn't even know it had stability control but it is very nice to have. It saved my butt a few times. Instant easy donuts when you turn it off too!

slumlord 02-06-2011 03:32 PM

And you turn it off how???

catchmes2000 02-06-2011 07:28 PM

You got to hold down the traction control button for about 5 to 10 sec. then it will tell you in your information center that it ts off..

Jeff

TAINTER 02-07-2011 01:19 AM

In my 3- 08 H3s and 1- 09 H3T you CAN NOT turn off the traction control. You can disable the stability system by holding down the button on the center dash or by switching to 4LO (automaticly turns the stability system off).

If you lightly apply the brakes while moving this will "turn off" the traction control (also called BTM Brake-Throttle-Modulation) until you release the brakes. This works well when you are in mud, snow, etc and you need to spin the tires to either clean out the treads or keep up momentum.

H3DONIST 02-07-2011 01:30 PM

I tried to get stuck. I would go around cars that were stuck in the drifts and purposefully drive in the deepest part of the snow on any road I found myself on. With my 35" duratracs, I didn't come even close to getting stuck. The most trouble I had was getting out of my parking spot that had a 4' snow drift in front it it on Wed morning.

Hummee! 02-07-2011 07:48 PM

I actually have tried to get stuck! I know...typical right?! but im in snowbelt northeast ohio...stock size 06 h3...not sure how or when i may get stuck but im pretty confident so far!

jrock1956 02-08-2011 07:53 AM

Stuck in Chicago

Chicago had 19 1/2 inches of snow last week with winds clocked at over 60 mph. I park my 2005 H2 in a lot next to my house. After the storm had passed, the high winds had depositied almost 3 feet of snow in our alley. I tried to get out in but the wheels just spun in place and made a nice ice hole. Which of course just made it worse. I tried everything from 4lo, 4hi and turning off the traction control. I didn't lock the hubs but I'm not sure if it would've worked.
I finally had to take a 50lb bag of salt, dump it evenly behind every wheel to get myself unstuck and back into the lot.
I brought my H2 used last year and I'm wondering if new tires would have made a bigger difference? I'm running on 35" Toyo's.

njhusker 02-08-2011 08:11 AM

06 H3 with off-road package (285/75 R16 HS Bridgestone Dueler standard).

I have pulled trailers of equipment through an open field of mud 8" deep in some spots. I have parked on top of snow piles at the mall (hey, there were no other spots close). I have driven through streams, street floods, massive snow banks, blazed trails in the woods (sorry about the small trees ya'll) and the truck has only been stuck once in it's life. Here is THAT story;

28" snow storm last year on top of a coating of ice at least 1" thick. My wife (love her but....) decided to take the H3 instead of her 2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo cause she figured the H3 would do better in these conditions (smart). Backed the H3 out of the garage and somehow plowed right into the huge snow pile on the corner of our driveway. You know that combination of packed snow, ice, salt and shoveled crap that is heavy, wet and above your head from street plowing etc... Well she thought it was stuck and instead of asking me to help she called my 17 year old son... (love him too but.....) He got in and started mashing buttons on the dash while the thing was in gear... By the time they woke me up the computer went into freak-out mode and it was not going to budge. It was surreal... had to get my wife's Jeep out of the garage and hook up the chains to pull the H3 out... My son said it would be a great commercial for the Jeep. :eek:

Well owning both you can imagine what my reaction would have been if I was not biting my tongue mad at them both for not getting me in the first place...:D

Just to clarify for those not paying attention... in my experience the H3 is WAYYY more capable than the Jeep. It helps to know how operate equipment before you try to traverse mountains no? lol

drtom 02-08-2011 01:17 PM

Stuck? Oh yeah!!

1 Attachment(s)
ive learned not to venture off my property. im inside already,toasty warm. ill continue digging later. i went abt 15 feet off the beaten driveway and ended there. i just spin all 4. i dug around all tires,its abt 8 to 10 inches over grass. it didnt move an inch so ill dig down to grass manyana!

same as last yr with stock 265, this yr 285 bridgstone. these stock tires are worthless xcpt on a good road,wet, or packed snow.

im sitting in 4 icy pockets,goin nowhere

i really love reading how u guys drive thru 24 inches. i cant buy winter tires so i really gotta be careful where i go. lucky me im at home!! goin nowhere unless in my pontiac trans sport!!

PhenyxH3 02-08-2011 03:02 PM

Stock tires, had no problems:)

njhusker 02-09-2011 08:33 AM

this may seem a bit remedial but did you try 4 low locked? It pulls me through every time...slow and steady...

Now that you have ice under the tires try a little kitty litter and 4 low (lock the rear as well)... and you should crawl right out of it.

PhilB 02-09-2011 09:33 AM

Use 4 Hi Lock, and don't let up on the throttle when you start to slip, let the stability/traction control engage.

If you let up on throttle when your tires start to slip, or use 4 Low, the traction control disengages.

The traction control uses the brakes to "simulates" locking diffs at the front and rear axles, and should pull you through just about any weather that could fall onto the street.

drtom 02-09-2011 12:32 PM

yeah i know where the buttons are !
i got slowed,sunk in,spun all 4 and made nice little icy smooth dips in the soft snow. i shoveled dug down for 3 feet,under the tires, and got out,,,and im staying out!
its not a gamble i would make off my property where i can walk home

Hunner 02-10-2011 01:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm running the Cooper STT 35's right now and we just had 6 inches of snow (edit officially 8 inches) here in Arkansas so I got to play with them. I aired down to 18 pounds and did a little "snow drifting" I turned off stability as you can see. Before I did that it kept going into limp mode and the brakes were applied. Yeah GM I WANTED to be unstable!
I shot this with a wireless remote.
Attachment 16484

bheff 02-10-2011 09:46 AM

We have had 15-20 inches of snow here in NW Arkansas. The H3 had absolutely no problems what so ever. Its almost boring driving in the stuff. I turned off the traction control so I could have little more fun. Never changed out of the 4hi mode. 285/75r16 Dueler a/t.
That being said, we did get a ford f450 (ambulance) stuck yesteday morning. Luckily one of the local Fire depts had an originaly hummer as a brush truck. They were able to hook onto us and pull us out, then make tracks for us to follow until we hit the highway.

igotahummer 02-10-2011 11:49 AM

the blizzard in the midwest left a 3 foot snow drift in my drive thought hey i got a hummer i can go through anything boy i was wrong who ever owned it before me put duler h/ls on it which i think is a highway tire they suck ass in the snow getting some firece attitude m/ts on sat good buy highway rubber

heyttsguy 02-10-2011 12:18 PM

If you still have the stock tires still on, you can get stuck, especially in drifts that have a hard snow crust on top. I've come close. 4 low with front and rear diffs locked was the only way to get out, barely.

jrock1956 02-11-2011 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by igotahummer (Post 242720)
the blizzard in the midwest left a 3 foot snow drift in my drive thought hey i got a hummer i can go through anything boy i was wrong who ever owned it before me put duler h/ls on it which i think is a highway tire they suck ass in the snow getting some firece attitude m/ts on sat good buy highway rubber

I have M/T's on mine and I coudn't get out of my alley in Chicago with 3 foot drifts and 20 inches of the white stuff. I think if you have a running start on the snow, it makes a difference. I was starting off on the deep snow with no momentum.

H3DONIST 02-11-2011 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by jrock1956 (Post 242767)
I have M/T's on mine and I coudn't get out of my alley in Chicago with 3 foot drifts and 20 inches of the white stuff. I think if you have a running start on the snow, it makes a difference. I was starting off on the deep snow with no momentum.

Stuff like this is why I'm glad I bought DuraTracs. They love the snow! They have the snowflake on the side of them and are rated 10/10 for handling in the snow.

I initially had issues getting out of my parking spot with a 4ft snow drift in front of it, but once I got up in the deep stuff, I kept on the gas and the tires just started throwing snow like 4 giant snow blowers. It took a few minutes of back and forth, but I never got stuck. :D

atv jr 02-11-2011 11:02 AM

My '08 H3 w/Adventure pkg does pretty well in mud and snow with the stock Goodyears. However, I don't care what you have, when you get the wheels off the ground, you are stuck.

My friends let me go first thru the nasty stuff. If I make it, I can probably winch them thru if they can't get thru on their own.

If I don;t make it, they pull me back out and we go another way.

skeptic 02-11-2011 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by PhilB (Post 242579)
Use 4 Hi Lock, and don't let up on the throttle when you start to slip, let the stability/traction control engage.

If you let up on throttle when your tires start to slip, or use 4 Low, the traction control disengages.

The traction control uses the brakes to "simulates" locking diffs at the front and rear axles, and should pull you through just about any weather that could fall onto the street.

As I understand it, 4 Low or holding the button will turn off stabilitrac but Traction Control stays active. My limited offroading in 4 Low seems to support this. On an obstacle with locker off, wheel spinning slowly, keep on the throttle lightly then bump. Feels like the other tires engage and I'm over. The locker is better, but when I forgot to turn it on it sure felt like Traction Control works in 4 Low.

RKSmith163 02-11-2011 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by atv jr (Post 242790)
My '08 H3 w/Adventure pkg does pretty well in mud and snow with the stock Goodyears. However, I don't care what you have, when you get the wheels off the ground, you are stuck.

My friends let me go first thru the nasty stuff. If I make it, I can probably winch them thru if they can't get thru on their own.

If I don;t make it, they pull me back out and we go another way.

If you have the Adventure Pkg. it did not come stock with Goodyears.

atv jr 02-11-2011 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by RKSmith163 (Post 242800)
If you have the Adventure Pkg. it did not come stock with Goodyears.

In '08 you might get Bridgestones or you might get Goodyears.

RKSmith163 02-11-2011 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by atv jr (Post 242801)
In '08 you might get Bridgestones or you might get Goodyears.

Unless it was meant for export, all Adventure Pkgs. had Bridgestone Dueler A/T RH-S 285/75/16's. Some countries have laws that will not allow tires to be wider than the fenders thus 265/75/16's were put on those vehicles. The non-Adventures switched from the Goodyear RT/S to BF Goodrich Rugged Trail TA's in 09.

atv jr 02-11-2011 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by RKSmith163 (Post 242804)
Unless it was meant for export, all Adventure Pkgs. had Bridgestone Dueler A/T RH-S 285/75/16's. Some countries have laws that will not allow tires to be wider than the fenders thus 265/75/16's were put on those vehicles. The non-Adventures switched from the Goodyear RT/S to BF Goodrich Rugged Trail TA's in 09.

Well, you may be right. However, here is how I got the Goodyears.

I found an H3 on the dealer's lot. It was pretty much exactly the way I would have ordered it with 5 spd trans, Adventure pkg, color exterior and interior, and all that stuff.

This was in September. I noticed on the door, the sticker said it was built in January, so I figured I could get a deal on it. The sales guy admitted that he had not been able to sell it with the 5 spd. So, I bought/stole it.

When I got it home I started looking at it and the window sticker. I noticed that it had the wrong size tires on it according to the window sticker.

So, I called the dealer. He admitted that many months ago he had swapped the stock tires to a guy who bought a luxury edition.

He said he would get me the correct stock tires. He said they came with "stones" or Goodyears, which would I preffer. I went for the Goodyears.

RKSmith163 02-11-2011 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by atv jr (Post 242806)
Well, you may be right. However, here is how I got the Goodyears.

I found an H3 on the dealer's lot. It was pretty much exactly the way I would have ordered it with 5 spd trans, Adventure pkg, color exterior and interior, and all that stuff.

This was in September. I noticed on the door, the sticker said it was built in January, so I figured I could get a deal on it. The sales guy admitted that he had not been able to sell it with the 5 spd. So, I bought/stole it.

When I got it home I started looking at it and the window sticker. I noticed that it had the wrong size tires on it according to the window sticker.

So, I called the dealer. He admitted that many months ago he had swapped the stock tires to a guy who bought a luxury edition.

He said he would get me the correct stock tires. He said they came with "stones" or Goodyears, which would I preffer. I went for the Goodyears.

I knew there had to be a logical explanation. I have a 2010 Alpha/Offroad now but last winter I had an 08 Lux with the stock tires and they did great in the record snowfalls we had with the biggest being 24". I am glad you got the vehicle you wanted and at a steal.
Have a great weekend,

skeeter 02-11-2011 10:57 PM

I have the stock goodyears. Last year I drove through drifts as high as the hood on it after being leveled. This year, I go out of town my wife gets stuck in a snow drift, but at least she had sense enough to put it in 4lo and drove out

Hummee! 02-12-2011 07:51 PM

that pic makes me happy!! snow fun...way down there!!!

BlueH3 02-13-2011 12:08 PM

My experience has been the stock BF Rugged Terrains absolutely suck in the snow in the wet...a complete disgrace to have on a Hummer. The stock Goodyear Wranglers are not bad & alot better than the BF's but other off road tires much better of course in snow.

atv jr 02-14-2011 09:01 AM

Well, I guess I have the not-so-stock 285 Wrangler MT/Rs on mine. They do alright in snow, ice, and rain. They really shine in mud.

I hunt bears in Minnesota in the fall. I have swamps to go thru on the way to some of my stands. I haven't had to use the winch up there yet.

My old Jeep needed the winch quite often.

SirDiesel32 02-17-2011 11:39 PM

Not Stuck In Chicago

I live in the Chicago-land area too, actually out in the burbs that got more snow than the city itself a couple weeks ago. 20+ inches in some parts. I tried to get stuck, didn't happen. Drove through 3'+ high drifts without even taking it out of standard AWD. It was a blast cruisin' down the roads while other cars (SUV's and trucks included) were literally being abandoned in the middle of the street like it was the apocalypse because they were stuck. Even drove through some plowed spots that were 2ft high by a few feet wide in order to cross the street or get into the grocery store parking lot.

Based on my experience this past storm I think it would take considerable effort on the drivers part to get an H3 stuck in the snow.

2006 H3 Adventure Pckg with stock tires.

drtom 02-18-2011 06:59 AM

https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/i...n/post_old.gif 02-08-2011, 01:17 PM
https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/i...ine=1289175775 drtom https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/i...ser_online.gif

https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/i...cons/icon1.gif Stuck? Oh yeah!! check the above post!
quite simple, i just drove off the driveway into the yard in abt 10 inches of fresh stuff over a few inchs of crunchy stuff and spun all 4!! i could look out and watch em rotate in neat little pockets!

in freezing weather its dangerous to be over confident if you must walk far !
i wont travel without a shovel to dig out. if you dont get stuck, a lot of luck is involved.
yesterday i almost did it again on the side slope i lost it on last yr, started to slide sideways down my sideyard,caught it in time. these big fat tires are like snowboards.

glad its melting fast,goodby sno!!

08JJ 02-18-2011 08:28 AM

No one with a Hummer ever gets stuck, you are just temporarily detained. :p

BlueH3 02-18-2011 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by SirDiesel32 (Post 243257)
I live in the Chicago-land area too, actually out in the burbs that got more snow than the city itself a couple weeks ago. 20+ inches in some parts. I tried to get stuck, didn't happen. Drove through 3'+ high drifts without even taking it out of standard AWD. It was a blast cruisin' down the roads while other cars (SUV's and trucks included) were literally being abandoned in the middle of the street like it was the apocalypse because they were stuck. Even drove through some plowed spots that were 2ft high by a few feet wide in order to cross the street or get into the grocery store parking lot.

Based on my experience this past storm I think it would take considerable effort on the drivers part to get an H3 stuck in the snow.

2006 H3 Adventure Pckg with stock tires.

Great writup Diesel! Just what I wanted to hear!:D

H2CANEPADESIGN 02-18-2011 10:52 AM

Hey drtom; What kind of tires are you running on it?

drtom 02-18-2011 11:33 AM

last yr stock 265, 07 lux
now 10 adv with stock 285.
i guess there just not so good for sno !

H3inPA 02-18-2011 12:56 PM

here is funny story...

My wife got stuck this year, we had about 24+" of snow on the ground at the time. that is not the funny part though....

And really neither is this part funny : My mother in law helps out with families troubled by alcohol abuse, and in this region that even includes Amish families. So it is the day after Christmas and my Mother in law calls and asks my Mrs. to help her get some gifts, food and general goodwill to a young Amish mother and her kids (the father was shunned from the Amish community due to his alcohol abuse and actions)...

Anyway ONTO to the funny part , since the snow is so terrible my wife takes the H3 and traveling is fine on the township plowed roads all the way til they get to this Amish girl's farmouse...a long uphill driveway, unplowed with 24" of snow on it, and nothing but a few horse and buggy tracks breaking the surface. Well she gets 1/2 up or so and there gets to be just too much snowplowing in front of the H3 on its uphill climb and it stops her forward progess and they get a bit stuck for a minute...sure enough up the driveway comes horse and buggy that rides right past with no problems this symbol of modern innovation and off-road capability. After the buggy passed she got the H3 unstuck by going in reverse and backtracking out her plow path . On her second attempt she was not so ginger on it...and made the climb right to the frontdoor.

A million dollar opportunity was missed by not catching a photo of the horse and buggy, passing the stuck H3 on that driveway...A motivational poster perhaps with the title "Technology only gets you so far"...LOL