PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer issue - Certified Pre-Owned Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 12:17 AM
Default Dealer issue - Certified Pre-Owned Question

Hello all,

The story is as follows:

Wife drives a "certified pre-owned" Toyota Highlander purchased from one of the many Toyota dealers in my area. 2 years later I have had numerous problems with the A/C going in and out and had the blower control module replaced 4 times under warranty (purchased the extended warrant).

Today after having it replaced for the fourth time, the service tech tells me (different than the dealer I purchased from) that he believes the car has been in a FLOOD and has extensive damage to the wiring harness that is causing a short in the wiring to the blower module, hence the amount of times it has been changed.

My question is... The Toyota Highlander was a certified pre-owned and now this dealer is telling me it was in a flood and will cost "thousands" to replace the wiring harness that is not under warranty. Also let me know that at anytime it could short out and cause a major fire within the cabin.

Any advice is appreciated (outside of trading it in, not an option at this point). I would like resolve and may go back to the original dealer (purchased from) and talk with them about the "flood issue"

Can't see how they can certify the truck when it potentially is a flood damaged vehicle, in fact, is it not law that the dealer has to disclose it if it has been in a flood?

Thoughts? Thanks all!

Old 03-28-2007, 12:37 AM
Default RE: Dealer issue - Certified Pre-Owned Question

Do a Carfax on your VIN and see what pops up in it's history...

Old 03-28-2007, 12:44 AM

did you buy it after hurricane katrina ?
i know they move alot of car/trucks to memphis to sell after the water went down
one of our customers bought a ranger for a gr8 price
but now its not a gr8 price because we have replaced the front endand rear end

Old 03-28-2007, 01:05 AM

ORIGINAL: Dennis

Do a Carfax on your VIN and see what pops up in it's history...
Will do, if nothing comes up, do I have anything to hold to the dealer as in responsiblity? Oh, this vehicle was purchased before Katrina.

Old 03-28-2007, 01:11 AM

I donno..Maybe you can get something in writing to substaniatethat the car was flooded at one time, from an independant garage or another Toyota dealer...With that bit of documentedevidence,I can imagine the place that sold it to you maybe more inclined to swing a real good deal on a later model..