PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

cutting bumper for hitch

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 08:37 PM
Default cutting bumper for hitch

I wanted to put a factory hitch on my H3 so I don't lose departure angle that an after market hitch would do. I have a factory bumper that does not accomodate a hitch, but a few people said that the bumper could be cut. Does anyone have the details on this, and is there anyone near the Dallas, TX area that can do it?

Thanks

Old 12-04-2006, 11:12 PM
Default RE: cutting bumper for hitch

Any welding shop can do it, or anyone you trust to cut and modify your vehicle can do it.

Old 12-05-2006, 12:33 AM

dealer did mine! ill post a pic tomorrow! its better than thr factory if you ask me. more access.. and very clean. ill post a pic.. mines tucked away more than fact... its better..

Old 12-06-2006, 08:05 PM

yeah let's see the pics of this i have been torn up over what to do my dealer had U-Haul install a few for customers because it was so much cheaper but I can't get a hold of any of those douches to show me what it ended up looking like.

Old 12-07-2006, 12:15 AM
Old 12-07-2006, 12:15 AM

AND ITS not crooked. im at an angle. unless i hit a hole too hard. lol

Old 12-07-2006, 03:10 AM

I'd just take a sawz-all or cut off wheel to it, and cut it a little bit inside the line than I wanted (smaller opening). Then finish it out with a die grinder to the final size (bigger opening) and call it good. maybe even sand the edges a little, and touch it up with some factory trim paint. I think it would be fine.

Old 12-07-2006, 10:06 AM

I would tape it off then mark it then use a jig saw with a smooth blade for metal.

Old 12-07-2006, 02:07 PM

ORIGINAL: dilo2001gt

I would tape it off then mark it then use a jig saw with a smooth blade for metal.
That will work too. The main point is, if you try to make only one cut right at the line it usually shows every little bobble and imperfection. Then when you try to use the same tool (jig saw or whatever) to trim it, then it looks just as bad or worse. Sanding or grinding the final portion usually results in a cleaner finished line. It's like painting, if you try to get all the color on in one shot it just ends up messy and runs.. a little here and a little there is the way to go. Take your time on the little details, and the big picture will take care of its self. If you're confident that you can make a perfect cut in one shot, then there sin't any reason you can't, but hang the cord up on something .. and you end up with a botched cut that has no room for error, and is un-fixable. Then you spend even more effort just trying to make it look presentable.

Old 12-07-2006, 04:17 PM

How much is the fatory hitch part anyway? The last time I asked my dealer, they gave me a total for the whole swap at about $900 for all of the pieces. I just want the hitch and I will either trim the bumper to fit, or have a custom rear bumper made with tow hooks on both sides and a place to put the license plate so it doesn't get boogered everytime I go off road.

Quick Reply: cutting bumper for hitch