PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cummins into a H1?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 05:19 PM
Default cummins into a H1?

I did some research and i found this one forum site where someone has posted some into on the cummins conversion, it was a yellow hummer, but the thing is you have to be a paying member to look at that thread because its older than 10 days or something, one of their rules. Anyhow, i was wondering if anyone has any info on this, i would really like to look into it and see how possible it really is and how much money and work is involved.

The I6 would definitely make enough power and get a great gas milage doing so it might be a little tough fitting it in there but i heard that there are actual kits available for the cummins conversion, dont know how good that info is.

Old 01-24-2008, 07:56 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: cummins into a H1?

I don't know anyone that has done it but I have seen threads on it. there are other forums that you don't have to be a paying member of to look at the threads. You do have to sign up for the forum though. I will check but I am pretty sure there is a htread on this on another forum I go to. I'll check and see and let you know.

Old 01-24-2008, 11:17 PM

I dont know anyone in person that has done it but I do converse with a member from another forum that has done the conversion and kept pretty good documentation of it. I dont believe there is kits out for it but there are companies that do the conversion. As for the cost he claimed it was about $20,000 todo and about 600-800 hrs of labour but he did most of it himself and made some mistakes along the way. Also didnt buy a crate engine he bought a write off dodge and pulled the stuff out of there also sold some usable parts on ebay to recoup some cost. He also beefed up his whole drive train not just the transmission and engine but put in 12k hubs, 12k halfshafts 12" rotors etc. I believe he said he gets about 15-18mpg which isnt as good as the Dmax(which is kind of the reason I am leaning towards the Dmax in my conversion)but with less than 1000$ in performance parts can get 500hp and 800ft/lbs of torque no problem. Although I do have the conversion documentation I do not have permission to release them but I will use them to answer any questions asked. Also a requirement is a 4" body lift to fit in the MUCH taller Cummins engine. He also just recently added to his conversion and put in a verticle radiator unlike our slanted ones and got alot of room in his front end now which is is going to use for cooling other items also using it to place his winch thus recovering the loss in approach angle due to the stock winch mount that sticks out a couple inches.

Old 01-25-2008, 08:20 AM

I personally know a couple of guys who have done it; to my knowledge there is no "kit available" -- there are no shortcuts. It is a big, expensive job, no matter whether you do it all by yourself, or farm out parts of the work.

The Cummins is a great powerplant for the Hummer when it is in, though...

In the article below, the tan 2-door truck is a Cummins conversion, installed by the owner John Andres:
http://hummer.off-road.com/hummer/Ad.../detail/439233

Old 01-25-2008, 11:35 AM

Changine the engibe to a cummins seems kind of extreme but the dmax seems like the most logical choice....I was thinking of doing this conversion a long time ago but I do not think it is worth 40,000 to do on a hummer h2

Old 01-25-2008, 03:14 PM
Super Moderator

What are they putting in there, the 6bt5.9?

Old 01-25-2008, 06:02 PM
Super Moderator

I am not sure where the 16-18 mpg for the Duramax came from. I can assure you that my Alpha doesn't get anywhere close to that. Maybe with a two speed transfer case option??? Injun did your guys do the two speed T case?

Old 01-25-2008, 07:22 PM

Actually 16-18 mpg was from the cummins conversion... the dmax conversion with 6spd allision and higher output dmax engine that also hasnt been detuned by the factory is suppose to get 20+mpg if you watch your lead foot. And yes it is the 2spd tcase.

I personally am still fighting between cummins and dmax.
Both are tunable to output similar amount of HP and Torque
Both are around same price to do

DMax Pros:
More h1's been converted to dmax, also the factory has done so in the alpha so more support is there...
better fuel milage....
only need 2" body lift instead of the 4" required by cummins conversion.

Cummins Pros:
Known for its reliability
No glow plugs
And this one is specific to my case... There is a local company that drops Cummins engines into many vehicles so support will only be 20 miles away.

Old 01-25-2008, 07:30 PM
Super Moderator

I still want to know what size Cummins....

Old 01-25-2008, 10:32 PM

the conversion Manny and myself are refering to was a 6bt but I know that there has been a 4bt conversion done.

Quick Reply: cummins into a H1?