PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Could not pull key out!

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 06:32 AM
Default Could not pull key out!

Had been driving my H2 for awhile. Had made several stops. Stopped at a restauranr. I could shut it off, but key would not rotate past the accessory position. Therefore could not get key out of ignition. Tried multiple times. Drove to a couple of other stops in area, same problem.

Finally, gave up and headed home about 20 niles away. When I got to home town, made one more stop and the key would rotate all the way to off and I could remove it. Worked several times in a row.

When I got home I lubed in the key opening and on the key. Now seems to be working okay. Anyone else have this problem or have any idea on why it happened? Very annoying and frustrating at the time.

Old 09-11-2008, 09:09 PM
Default RE: Could not pull key out!

I am going to guess here as I had this happen in a jeep and silverado hoe. the ignition cylinder has a bar on each side 180 degress apart. When the key is inserted these bars drop into the cylinder allowing it to turn. There two springs on these bar that collapse when the key is inserted. If one of the springs has moved or slipped it can hold that bar out just slightly so the cylinder will not return the off position. Or worse, one of the springs has broken and then this will only get worse over time. In my case on both vehicles ended up replacing both cylinders. It was under 100 bucks. Now if the dealer does it, they claim new keys, 300 bucks labor plus 300 bucks in parts. Cheap way, buy a new cylinder at the parts counter. Find a lock smith that works on cars, have him re-key the new cylinder to your key and pop in the new cylinder. Done, hope this helps.

Old 09-12-2008, 11:22 AM

on the h2 it has a power release for the key. it gets the power from the brake switch so when you apply the brakes the interlock system on the shifter assembly releases the cable that lets you rotate the key and remove it. we have had some loose wires and broken wires at the shift. if you remove the shifter handle and the bezel you will see the wire harnis at therear area of the shifter assembly. it is the yellow wire with a green tracer that normally causes the problem. also while you have the shifter bezel removed, if you look at the bottom of the shifter towards the floor you will see a silver metal button. that is your interlock bypass. put the shifter in park and than push the button the key will turn and you will be able to remove it.

Old 09-13-2008, 03:57 AM

Yeah...I got NOTHING....[8D]