PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering HID's

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 06:22 PM
Default Considering HID's

I am considering putting HID's in my h3, but i dont really know much about them just that they look nicer than the ugly orange/yellow hazed stock bulbs, wondering about places to buy from, how they work, i know i need h13 duals for headlight but what about the fog lights what do you put in them h10?, personal opinions about which temperature to get, any info would be greatly appreciated thanks!

Old 07-02-2009, 07:37 PM

I am a huge fan of the STARR HID light system
This complete HID system is the only one on the market that is legal and DOT approved
I purchased my lights from Teaka Toys (Brad) They had the best price at the time.
http://www.TeakaToys.com/Hummer_H3_H...hid-h31001.htm
You should stay away from the HID "kits" you may see online. Those kits are illegal and produce excessive dazzle and cops are up to speed on spotting these retro kits.They can and will ticket you.
Each state may vary on that as well.
I never liked the stock halogens on my H3 and Silverstars were a small improvement

The install of the HID lights were simple and easy. it is a true plug & play system
In fact the my local Hummer dealer was familar with these lights and offered to install them for me. It was was no problem for me to tackle this job, myself.

Halogen bulbs ae usually about 850 to 950 lumens output at about 3200 K +.
These STARR true bi-xenon (low and high beam) HID lights produce 3200 lumens
The Phillips bulbs are about 4300K and last about three years of normal use, more than halogens.
The bulbs produce a very white light, with some blue when looking at them off axis
There is just no comparison, really.
Check out the STARR web page for more detailed info.

http://www.starrhid.com/index.php?op...d=45&Itemid=77

Here is the end result on my truck and good luck
Let us all know which way you went.

Attached Thumbnails Considering HID's-h3-.jpg  

Last edited by wfturner; 07-03-2009 at 08:03 AM.
Old 07-02-2009, 09:37 PM

It's nice to see someone not just throw a plug and play kit in their truck and blind everyone else on the road.
Kudos to you wfturner.

Another alternative is of course, doing a retrofit yourself. Only a good idea if you are a DIY kind of guy and don't mind hacking into your own headlight housings.

Old 07-02-2009, 10:08 PM

That starhid system looks like a great kit!

I'm making do with Silverstars (they burn out once a year) and brushguard mounted driving lamps wired to my highbeams. Still, in the Winter with snow and salt spray, my low-beams can become useless after only 10 miles on the highway.

Has anyone found an aftermarket headlamp washer kit or suitable nozzles from another vehicle that can be mounted on an H3?

Old 07-03-2009, 11:45 AM

okay cool, thanks for the info, but what did you guys do about the foglights? did you upgrade them or use a different bulb? anything?

Old 07-03-2009, 09:51 PM

I wish I could afford those Anyone have any direction on how to retrofit? Has anyone on the site done this?

Old 07-03-2009, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by Mikeoj338
okay cool, thanks for the info, but what did you guys do about the foglights? did you upgrade them or use a different bulb? anything?
You may find this a little had to believe, but with these STARR HID lights, they offer so much light right in front of the vehicle, I hardly ever use my fog lights.
I drive from Nevada to the north coast of California and I run into monster fog at night
When I have turned on my fog lights after having my HID's on there is very little difference
Even having said that I upgraded the fog light bulbs awhile back, just cause that's what we do,sic.

Last edited by wfturner; 07-04-2009 at 08:18 AM.
Old 07-04-2009, 10:29 AM

Do you even have to "convert" the foglamps to HID? Why not just remove them and mount HID fogs of a similar diameter in their place behind the bumper?

I guess you just have to find a set that's shallow enough to clear the fender liner.

Old 07-04-2009, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by NJTEX
Do you even have to "convert" the foglamps to HID? Why not just remove them and mount HID fogs of a similar diameter in their place behind the bumper?

I guess you just have to find a set that's shallow enough to clear the fender liner.
My fog lights are stock housing with the a new halogen bulb of slightly higher wattage
If I understand you correctly, I don't think you will find and HID "kits" that would fit the round fog light housings or the round hole.
You might find a retro HID kit that could take the place of the stock fog light bulb, but you would have the problem of the stock fog light housing not offering the proper light output
Without getting too crazy, HID lights need the following to make them the most effective
HID bulbs, ballast and ignitors and housings.
Hope this answers your question

Old 07-05-2009, 10:04 AM

Well a retro or retrofit is going to be an OEM HID (out of a TSX or BMW or whatever) setup put into your existing housing so you will get all the OEM HID optics.
A plug and play kit is what will cause a lot of glare out of your OEM housings.

As far as mounting HID fogs in place of your stockers. If you could find something that fit then for sure. I haven't looked any though so unfortunately I am of no help in that department.

Quick Reply: Considering HID's