PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Confused - should I flush or not?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by elkgrunt
Great read and info.Hummerz, is there a way to drain the torque converter like a plug on the converter? I know a lot of the Ford's have this option.
I used the BG PF5 and 16 quarts dex vi.

you can find a shop in your area that uses the bg machine:

BG PF5 Power Flush and Fluid Exchange System | BG Products, Inc.

Last edited by hummerz; 04-08-2014 at 05:12 AM.
Old 04-08-2014, 05:28 AM

Thank you

Old 04-08-2014, 06:50 AM

Recapping and correct me if I am wrong....
If I am not have any shifting issues...
If the transmission fluid is pink/red....
If the transmission does not have a burnt odor...

Leave it alone unless I am around a manufacturers change timeframe

Then if I need a change, locate a good mechanic/garage that uses Dex VI and possibly a BG PFS

Right?
I am not a car-guy, but I don't want to be a sucker or a fool and put my H3 at risk or toss out $1000 for no benefit at all

Old 04-08-2014, 08:59 AM

i hope someone who had the patience to watch that dumb azz on the video will give a brief recap. oh pleeze

maybe i should say, dumb azz video.

Old 04-08-2014, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by atari800
I am not a car-guy, but I don't want to be a sucker or a fool and put my H3 at risk or toss out $1000 for no benefit at all
I don't care which way you go. It's up to you after reading all the facts and making an informed decision.

However $1000! WTF, are you getting done that would cost that much? New tires, lifetime alignment AND a trans flush?

Last edited by TAINTER; 04-08-2014 at 12:53 PM.
Old 04-08-2014, 02:26 PM

$1000 was the absurd example....it compliments the "fool/sucker"

I needed some info on this so I didnt get caught on some sleezy saleman going "well, your lucky this rolled in here. For you see, your transmission fluid needs to have a burnt smell. It means it is working. Your's...well....it's red. Blood red and no odor. So it needs to be changed, and with the war in the gulf, and those crazy winter storms we had, there is a transmission fluid famine so your looking at $1000, plus tax, undercoat inspection and unrelated overcharges"

only kidding - I wanted know what is the best thing I can do for this vehicle at this time with my situation

Last edited by atari800; 04-08-2014 at 02:31 PM.
Old 04-08-2014, 03:05 PM

From my personal experience you need to both. The reasons are clearly stated before, the transmission is an unusual beast. Flushing does nothing for the filter and a filter change does nothing for the stored volume left in the system. My opinion is to flush first to extract all bad fluid, the benefit of a drain plug can drain good fluid to a clean container, drop pan to replace filter, reuse recovered fluid and top if as needed. Time consuming if done right but better in the long run.

Old 04-08-2014, 06:15 PM

Now I did not ask about if tranny or oil was done, I am thinking yes on oil with cheap oil and maybe not the transmission.

That's the right thought, when you buy a used vehicle.

I read "don't flush the transmission as the new fluid is like a detergent and will cause problems".. Something like that. Then I read some people flush every 30,000 miles, and things are great.

Use DEX VI

So, my h3 has 68k miles on it, and I mostly do city driving. Should I replace oil and tran fluid or just oil or......should I leave tranny alone?
Advice welcomed

Full synthetic engine oil and full synthetic DEX VI trans fluid
$1000 was the absurd example....it compliments the "fool/sucker"

I needed some info on this so I didnt get caught on some sleezy saleman going "well, your lucky this rolled in here. For you see, your transmission fluid needs to have a burnt smell. It means it is working. Your's...well....it's red. Blood red and no odor. So it needs to be changed, and with the war in the gulf, and those crazy winter storms we had, there is a transmission fluid famine so your looking at $1000, plus tax, undercoat inspection and unrelated overcharges"

only kidding - I wanted know what is the best thing I can do for this vehicle at this time with my situation

No "sleezy salesman" needed!
Grow a pair and take control of your rig. If you want to put the best fluids in your rig, do it yourself.
DO SOME RESEARCH ON THE BEST SYNTHETIC ENGINE OIL.
DO SOME RESEARCH ON THE BEST SYNTHETIC DEX VI TRANSMISSION FLUID.
If you are unable to change the engine oil or transmission fluid, buy the fluid and find a shop to install it for you!
You will only pay for the labor, and you will have the best fluid you choose, installed.
1-buy 6 qts of 5w30 full syn engine oil
2-buy 1 quality engine oil filter
3-buy 16qts full syn dex vi
4-find a shop with a bg flush machine
5-ask them for your cost when you supply the fluids and engine oil filter.

Should be well under $100.00 for both services, with you supplying the fluids and engine oil filter, and the best part: you know what is going into your rig!

A reputable business, will take good care of you and only charge labor.
75% of the cost, with these 2 services(engine oil & filter change and Transmission flush) are fluids and parts.

Old 04-08-2014, 07:23 PM

Thanks hummerz....this is the info I was looking for.
Cheers