PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cold Starting

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 06:15 PM
Default Cold Starting

Hello everyone. I am new to the world of Hummers and deisels. I am having a problem and any advise or help would be appreciated. I just bought a 1997 Hummer H1 Turbo Diesel (3 days ago). I am new to the world of deisels, but not cars. This morning I tried to start the truck with the remote start. It started but it sounded like crap. Not sure how to descirbe it, but not good. It ran for for a few seconds then stalled. I tried agian, it cranked but did not turn over. I tried again and nothing happened at all. I decided to go out to the truck and try myself. I turned the key and nothing. I tried a few times and nothing. I let is sit for about a 1/2 hour and tried again, it cranked but did not want to start, so I gave it some gas and it started. Ran great all day and started everytime after. I have been researching and I read "reving" a cold diesel is really bad. So I do not want to do that again. I am fairly sure it would not have started if I did not. I should also note, the truck was sitting on an incline.

Any ideas? I am thinking maybe a Netural Safety Switch? I appreciate any advice. Also, please, I am very new to this so anything you explain please do not use abbreviations, I will have no clue what they mean. LOL. I am really, really new to diesels.

Thank you!

Old 12-11-2010, 10:17 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to HummerForums. Could be a number of things. Have you checked the fuel filter or fuel pump? Since the truck was cold started and was having issues starting it probably is not the PMD, unless it is about to die completely. PM Hummech. He is a forum member and one of the original H1 mechanics. He will be able to help you.

Last edited by 3hummers; 12-11-2010 at 10:21 PM.
Old 12-12-2010, 08:45 AM

Thank you. I have not checked anything yet. The fuel system will probably be next on my list of things to check. I was just kind of curious if anyone had the same problem, and maybe I was just doing something wrong with it being cold.

For some reason reason I can not PM. When I go to the PM page it says I am not allowed to access it? Maybe because I am new? I would love to hear his opinion.

Old 12-12-2010, 07:23 PM
Super Moderator

Go to your home page. You have to check boxes to allow PMs and e-mails.

Old 12-12-2010, 07:26 PM
Super Moderator

Looks like you are set up ok. I'll check with Patrick. there may be a delay on e-mails and PM's to keep spammers from having instant ability to contact members.

Old 12-13-2010, 09:32 AM

Thank you.

Old 12-13-2010, 09:35 AM

I got a PM from someone, but I can not reply back.

I wanted to add, I started the truck yesterday and it started right up no problems. It was about 60 instead of 40 degress out. Not sure if they helps anyone with helping me withmy problem.

Old 12-13-2010, 11:29 PM
Super Moderator

I'll call Mike and have him check in on the forum.

Old 12-14-2010, 10:29 AM

hello H1girl,
3hummers just text me to see if i can help you. it sounds like a glow plug issue. when you turn the key to run, not crank, you will see a wait light that comes on the dash. when that light is on your volt gauge should read around 9 volts and when the light goes out the voltage should pop up to 11.5 to 12 volts. if it does that then your glow plugs are good if it does not draw down then you will need to change the glow plugs.
a diesel engine is differant than a gas engine. it uses compression to create heat to burn the fuel. a gas engine uses a spark plug. because of this, to help start a cold engine a diesel needs the glow plugs to warm up the cylinders to light the fuel. that is why it made some load knocking noises when it finally did start.

hummech

Old 12-14-2010, 11:54 AM
Default Remit start...

I sent a pm/email. Not sure if received but I thought in addition, perhaps the remote starter does not have correct delay for a diesel or may need to be adjusted to not crank the engine right away.

Mike.

Quick Reply: Cold Starting