PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cognito H2 Pitman Idler

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 12:38 AM
Default Cognito H2 Pitman Idler

I came across this modification regarding the steering and also the kit for the Idler Pivot.
Has anyone used these products?

Thanks!

Old 07-22-2007, 05:57 AM
Default RE: Cognito H2 Pitman Idler

What modification?

Old 07-22-2007, 01:34 PM
Old 07-22-2007, 05:58 PM

I think on a lifted H2 it would be a good idea. However on a stock 2 I don't think it is needed.

Nice product though

Old 07-22-2007, 07:30 PM

I added this mod to my 2006 H2 after about 5,000 miles. My H2 does not have a lift kit. I could really feel more response to a slight change in the steering wheel during normal driving and it just feels like you have more control although you probably don't. Off road at slow speed not really a noticeable difference. I also added the Fabtech tie rods at the same time. From discussions with others in off road trips these are the three parts with the most potential for wear, bending and/or breaking if you do much off roading.

Old 07-22-2007, 08:51 PM

What seemed different about the steering? You got me thinking now.

The 2 seems so tight on road now...................I can see the offroad difference

Old 07-23-2007, 03:12 PM

So you would attribute the "sharpening" to this kit as opposed to the tie rods? Not knowing if the Fabtech parts have less slop than the stock pieces, I'm unsure what you believe caused the improvement.

Old 07-23-2007, 08:43 PM

The way I understand it is that the idler arm is bolted to the frame and swings in the same arc as the pitman arm. The idler arm is fastened to the center link the same way the pitman arm is which is rotated by the steering gear box..The two mounting points for the center link(idler arm& pitman arm)give it support in the motion left and right relative to thetruck but there is not enough support in the direction of forward to backward. This mod double captures the two mountingstuds of the pitman and idler arms which connect to the center link. You therefore have no forward to backward movement. If you are able to remove any forward to backward movement in the pitman and idler arm then you have a more precise steering action. This is pretty much the feel I got after the installation. Could some of the improvement have been from the tie rods? Maybe, but the steering function is more related to the arms and the center link.

Old 07-23-2007, 09:55 PM

Thanks very much for the explanation. Did you install the pieces yourself or have it done? In either instance, how long did it take?
Looks like something that would be worthwhile. The parts are relatively inexpensive if they have a noticeable effect on the steering.

Old 07-24-2007, 06:55 PM

I had them installed by a local shop that is very experienced in exhaust and suspensions on trucks. They installedthe Billy Boat exhaust on my H3. It cost me 3 1/2hours of mechanic shop time for the install of the Cognito kit and Fabtech tie rods.

Quick Reply: Cognito H2 Pitman Idler