PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clear fluid leaking from center underside of H3

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 06:12 PM
Default Clear fluid leaking from center underside of H3

Hi All,

I have a 2009 H3 with about 2,700 miles and a clear fluid with no detectable scent was leaking from the center underside of the car. The fluid also would stain a white sheet of paper I left under the car. The fluid was all over the black cross bracket (the one slightly closer the the front) in the center of the underside of the H3.

I took the car to the dealer. They said the transfer case was leaking because the transfer case seal was bad and needed to be replaced. They replaced the seal, I took the H3 home and discovered that the truck is still leaking.

I am going to take it back to the dealer as soon as they have an opening.

Has anyone of you had a similar problem and/or can offer advice?

Thanks!

Old 12-06-2009, 07:48 PM

Is the leak just as bad as it was before you took it in?

Old 12-07-2009, 01:41 AM

Hello H3_2009,
have you checked your brakefluid?

The fluid from the transfercase should be red, because it's Dexron III recommended.

The only clear fluids, i know, is brakefluid, fuel or condensingwater from the exhaust.

Check your brake fluid, no brakes wouldn't be funny.

Regards,

Jens

Old 12-07-2009, 07:20 AM

The leak is not as bad as it was when I took it in. Brake fluid level is fine and although the brake fluid is clear on my H3, it has a stong odor. This fluid has very little odor. The fluid is clear (as far as I can tell), slippery...like a hydraulic fluid...no detectable smell. I have not been running the AC at all.

Thanks for your replies.

Old 12-07-2009, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by jens
Hello H3_2009,
have you checked your brakefluid?

The fluid from the transfercase should be red, because it's Dexron III recommended.

The only clear fluids, i know, is brakefluid, fuel or condensingwater from the exhaust.

Check your brake fluid, no brakes wouldn't be funny.

Regards,

Jens
Good advice.

Strange problem.

Old 12-07-2009, 10:47 AM

Puzzling!!!!!

Old 12-07-2009, 12:49 PM

power steering fluid? the newer gm stuff we use at the dealer seems to be pretty oderless.

Old 12-07-2009, 06:30 PM

Also check the air conditioner drain tube. When looking at the engine from the front, it is to the left, behind the transmission dip stick tube, coming out of the firewall. There is a small tube sticking out of the firewall. If your heater core is leaking it will drain out of this. But you say it is clear, so probably not radiator fluid. But if for some reason you air condensor is running, clear, orderless water will be coming out this tube.

Dan

Old 12-07-2009, 07:08 PM

^^^

Exactly; if you have been running either your defroster or air conditioner recently it will form condensate and drip down out of the car.

I don't know how many times I spot something leaking as I walk away from my vehicle only to realize it is just the water condensate!!

Old 12-07-2009, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
^^^

Exactly; if you have been running either your defroster or air conditioner recently it will form condensate and drip down out of the car.

I don't know how many times I spot something leaking as I walk away from my vehicle only to realize it is just the water condensate!!
I think because of the high ground clearance it is easy to spot a 'drip' mark underneth. How many times have you walk up to the hummer at the store and see a 'drip' mark, and wonder "Oh no, what the heck is that".
And then after getting on hands and knees in the parking lot, realizing, it was there when you parked there.

Dan

Quick Reply: Clear fluid leaking from center underside of H3