PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Cleaning Alternator

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 09:11 PM
Default Cleaning Alternator

My truck makes a little "whirrrrrrrrrrrrrr" noise. It almost sounds like the fan is running hard or something like that. Ive been told that it may be the alternator caked with mud.
I looked and it does look a tad on the muddy side. Its no secrect that I partake in some dirty wheelin now and then.

Im wondering if its safe to go to town with a pressure washer on that though. My limited electrical engineering background instinct tells me I shouldnt spray a generator with water. Any tips? Is it worth cleaning or should I look into getting a new one that will be able to withstand a little more of the above average harshness I throw at it?
(Honestly...i wouldnt mind a new super heavy duty one...especially with all the electronics I've added I've noticed the Optima Red seems to be working hard...any suggestions of a nice off-road alternator?)

Old 10-06-2008, 09:46 PM
Default RE: Cleaning Alternator

I just noticed I posted this in the detailing thread...I thought about it while reading about engine cleaners. If a modwants to move it to the H3 page..feel free...I wont double post.