PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Child locks and your children

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 04:34 PM
Default Child locks and your children

I am also upset that GM failed to put child locks on the rear doors of the '06 H3's. I heard that argument numerous times that we did not have child locks when we were kids either. Let me try to put that argument into perspective. First, the doors weighed a ton and the lock and handles were rarely close to each other. Secondly, how many cars from the 70's and early 80's were four doors? Very few. Most vehicles were two door coups with doors that weighed as much as the H3. The driver and front passenger were the ones that opened the doors. I know that it has been awhile, but think about that point. Child locks were installed in MANY vehicles in the mid 80's when sedans were coming into their own. They are now standard equipment on 99.9% of vehicles with the .1% not having them being the H3.

On the flip side of the argument is this. It is law that any child under 40 pounds and 4 years old must be in a car seat. Even if they do open the door, they should be relatively safe from falling out. It is smart to keep a child in a booster seat until they are close to 5 feet tall anyway (just spoke with my pediatrician about that point). If the seatbelt comes across the neck of your child, then they need a booster seat.

Overall, I love my H3, but this issue does irritate me. I spent $41,000 on a beautiful vehicle that is not as safe as it could and should be. I fully plan on rigging my rear doors so my boys can't access the handles or locks. Any suggestions??

Dawg19

Old 07-25-2006, 04:41 PM
Default RE: Child locks and your children

My suggestion is go fix the problem and market the parts on the internet. Could be a good money maker!!

Old 07-25-2006, 05:01 PM

Now that you got that off your chest..Let me just end this topic once and for all, by saying you have many, many agreeing members with you here..We have almost come to blows over this issue..

Bottom line..We all know and agree with you that it was a mistake by GM, how you deal with it is up to you and you pretty much stated that.
BTW GM has fixed that oversight on the 07 model.
[sm=closed.gif]

Old 07-25-2006, 05:15 PM

Old 07-25-2006, 05:58 PM

I am stayin out of it this time

Old 07-25-2006, 06:54 PM

Guess it was just easier to make a new post to vent rather than look though the forums to see it's been discussed previously? I guess you also just assumed it had the locks rather than actually research it or look for it before purchasing? Best of luck on "rigging" your doors.

Angel

Old 07-26-2006, 03:59 PM

I did--like probably most people, that the H3 came with child safety locks. It is a no-brainer in my book. I love my new Hummer and I am not bashing the vehicle as a whole. I was making the point that just because we did not have safety locks in the past, does not make it ok. The circumstance and the models of vehicles were vastly different 25 years ago.

I also wanted to make the point about using child safety seats and boosters. I thought it was good information that my pediatrician gave me regarding children in cars. This information is valid no matter what make of vehicle you own.

Dawg19

Old 07-26-2006, 05:19 PM

Thank you Dawg..We really do appreciate your helpful advise...All the points you make, are true and acknowledged

Here is HUMMERGUY in his[sm=laughat.gif][sm=icon_rofl.gif]

Old 07-26-2006, 05:25 PM

Old 07-26-2006, 05:43 PM

Snooper,

I was serious about the inventing stuff as my wife an dI have several patents. No money yet seems a limited market for solar powered electric chairs right now. Should pick up as the housing market begins to roll over though.

Good thing about the Hummer design is you can literally fasten a gate lock on the back door and bring it up to your modernday entitlement mindset. Just slide the Ritalin in before you lock the bolt!!! [sm=badbadbad.gif][sm=chairshot.gif]

Oh did I offend you , sorry just jokin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11[sm=drooldude.gif][sm=drooldude.gif][sm=drooldude.gif][sm=drooldude.gif]

Quick Reply: Child locks and your children