PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calling Importkiller, JK vs H3?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 10:34 AM
Default Calling Importkiller, JK vs H3?

Hi Importkiller, I just noiticed that your Ram turned into a JK Ruby recently (long internet absence). What would you say the pro's and con's are vs the JK/H3? I drove a JK 4dr X model; before the H3, but was only interested in the unavailable Rubicon model. My needs are different now as I have changed jobs in the oilfield and no longer need to haul heavy, bulky tools in the oilfield. Quite possibly next year, I'm going to trade the wife's Suburban for a JK Ruby or H3 Alpha and give her my H3 (which she really wants). What is the tow rating on the Ruby, how does it do at altitude? Thanks, Bill

Old 10-03-2007, 12:56 PM
Default RE: Calling Importkiller, JK vs H3?

i think your title scared him a little,i thought it was going to be a duel

Old 10-03-2007, 06:21 PM

No, just a serious question. This is my first Hummer and although I'm very pleased,. I'm always interested in what others have to say about their vehicle choices. Jeeps have always appealed to me as well, having owned 2 CJ7's and a TJ. The H3 was a better vehicle for me at the time, but my options are wider now than they were in May. Also, I'm not getting rid of the H3, just adding to it...

Old 10-03-2007, 07:23 PM
Super Moderator

Buy an H2..... it's much more comfortable than a Jeep ever could be....

Old 10-03-2007, 09:49 PM

and you'll need that added comfort while your sitting stuck in a puddle waiting for a tow strap.

I know this will not be a popular answer here but it's the truth. The JK I have is the rubicon model with the power/nav/premium sound packages. If off roading is important to you then the JK is head and shoulders above the hummer line...just a simple fact. Solid straight axle is 1000x better than the IFS in the h3, plus you will have locking diffs front AND rear, a electric front sway bar disconnect, shifter controlled 4:1 t-case (not the crappy electric 4x4 selector in the h3) and if you get teh manual you'll also have a creeper gear that is damn near impossible to stall. Only downside is that you will need to add a lift ot clear 35 tires where you can add them to a stock h3. I put on a 4.5" lift and a big 35" parnelli jones dirt gripz on the JK. Road ride is actually closer than most h3 owners would like to admit. I really have no death wobble that is associated with previous jeep models....I did have some but added a beefy steering stabilizer after the lift and that took care of it. Interior noise is pretty close, the new jk freedom hardtop seals up real tight and you have no wind whistle. The seats are comfy in the JK but the nod goes to the h3 in that department. The only thing I don't like on the JK is the power window switches. I haven't towed with the JK just because it's so much higher than the h3 it's just easier to hook up the hummer to the boat....but I do believe the tow ratings are similiar. Power wise the JK has a big seat of the pants edge over teh h3...what most people do not understand is that from the factory the new v6 in the JK has a computer controlled break in period programmed in...so the motor's output is retarded until the clock hits 500 miles, then it comes to life. When taking a test drive you will be driving a JK that is still in breakin mode so you will think the thing has no power at all.....that is far from the truth. Once I hit 500 miles I was shocked by how much power this thing had...even with the lift/tires/bumpers and other crap it still pulled hard through ever gear.

So for offroad use the JK is a clear and BIG winner over the hummer, interior is close but the h3 gets the nod. On road is also close but the h3 is a clear winner here also. Power the Jk wins hands down...but I also have the 06 h3...the 07+ may be a closer match. Hope this helps.

BTW...the JK is actually owned by my brother but I don't let him drive it that often

Old 10-03-2007, 09:51 PM
Super Moderator

Hey IK, when you get to this thread, whazzz up with your 3? Dealer get a look at it after the dead battery/stalling episode???

Old 10-03-2007, 10:08 PM

it's been fine ever since I got it back from them. Whatever they did worked.don't know for sure what was done. Then again I may have put 20 miles on it the past two months so who knows if it's fixed or not[&:]

Old 10-03-2007, 10:09 PM

dealer said it's fixed...no idea what they did....I've put maybe 10 miles on it the past month so I don't know for sure if it's fixed or not.

Old 10-03-2007, 10:26 PM
Super Moderator

You must be tired from the little guy not feeling well, feedings all hours, double poster you. How about you drive it once a week to keep the batt juiced up til things at the homestead settle down. Look under the hood, maybe they slid an alpha v8 under there??

Old 10-03-2007, 10:35 PM

that;s odd...I got an eror message after I posted the first reply...and it set me back to the reply page...strange[&:]

I've mosty been driving the new import carGetting sick of my son opening the doors in the hummer (no child door locks in the 06) at least he can't open them in the car...plus this 22mpg thing is pretty addictive

Quick Reply: Calling Importkiller, JK vs H3?