PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

burnig smell

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 07:41 PM
Default burnig smell

2007 h3. after trucks been driven. when i get out i smell like a rubber
burning smell. none of the wheels seem to be hanging up. wondering if anyone has had a similar issue ? going to get it up on the rack shortly
. thanx.

Old 12-19-2010, 07:16 PM

Are you sure it's not in 4 wheel high lock?

Old 12-20-2010, 08:45 AM

no , its not locked in. i beileve it was build up on exhaust system. i put it on lift. all kinds of salt and sand on the exhaust and muffler. ( great winter conditions in upstate ny ) although ive never seen a car get that kind of debris on it. thanks for the rsponse

Old 12-20-2010, 12:36 PM

I just started noticing the same burning rubber smell occasionaly on my 07 Since winter started. I'm also in upstate ny. Coincidence?

Old 01-02-2011, 09:17 PM
Default Burning smell in CNY as well.

I have the same "burning rubber smell" coming from the back end of my 2006 H3. Sometimes it smells like it is coming from the passenger side, mid-way.
Must be a gremlin running around CNY throwing stuff under H3's to create this smell. Anyways, mine started in the beginning of December, 2010.
In the last 3 weeks,
I have had it on 2 separate lifts @ 2 different dealerships and nothing could be found. I jacked it up myself and posted 4 jack-stands and crawled around it for a couple hours looking for something. I ran it until everything was hot as well. (no smell while it got hot on the jack stands, only when I drive it)
Nothing obvious was found. I needed new rear breaks anyways, so I took care of that with new rotors and ceramic pads, front & rears. The smell was there before the brake job and still exists afterward.
Unless they have added something this year to the local road salt/sand mix, I don't believe that is the problem unless my H3 doesn't like it for some reason, I have never had a car, SUV or truck produce this smell unless I was purposely trying to burn the tread off the tires.
I see this topic has been discussed since 2006 but no solution has been found. If someone has found something, please post. I can't stand it when I can't resolve an issue, especially on my vehicles.

Old 01-02-2011, 09:21 PM

PS: Love my H3 more than I thought I would. I didn't ever think I would like one, but I bought this one at a good price in August, 2010 and have been very happy until this problem showed up.

Old 01-03-2011, 05:18 PM

I've never noticed the smell on my 08; however, I had that on my 06. And the problem was the trailer wiring harness was not positioned correctly at the back, under the rear of the rear bumper. It was resting on the muffler. The fix was a tie strap to pull it closer to the bumper to keep it from laying on the muffler.

If this is the problem (was supposed to be fixed in production in mid-06, but something might cause it to move forward), make sure the wiring is not burnt. If it fix or tape the wiring to prevent any possible shorts or opens.

Another thing comes to mind, but have never heard of it happening. The exhaust hanger insulators are rubber. If one slips down it could rest on the exhaust.

Old 01-03-2011, 09:39 PM

Thanks -f5-............I have checked all around the exhaust system and have not found anything hitting or resting on the system. This is a frustrating problem because it has been talked about on many sites on the internet but not one solid solution has been offered. I plan on taking a little closer look around the muffler and bumper area to make sure I didn't miss something. Sometimes the smell is stronger than other times. It gets frustrating also if the wind is blowing and it moves the smell around to a different part of the vehicle. Only once did I smell it inside, and that is when I was coming to a stop and figured it was sucked into the air vents, other than that, it is always when I stop, turn off and get out.
Again, thanks for posting.

Old 01-12-2011, 11:31 PM
Banned
Default its tooo ez!

ive read this off and on and never got the connection.

a few times i smelled a plastic type smell and wondered if it was a hot wire,fan resistors,???

today i reached in and started the engine and closed the door, spent 10 min cleaning snow,and i smell the smell,,,,,

ITS GOT TO BE THE ,,,CAT,,,!! I NEVER SMELL THAT OLD EGG SMELL! LIKE THE OLD CATS.

it must be a new design catalitic converter!!

thats my theory and i think its a good one

Old 01-21-2011, 11:32 PM

The same goes with me !!!
I've been trying to figure out the problem but i failed
Could you guys please tell me what the exact problem is?

Quick Reply: burnig smell