PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Brand New to the Hummer Forum

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 10:21 PM
Default RE: Brand New to the Hummer Forum

Hi. There. Get yourself the 2. You,ll never regret it.

Old 04-18-2008, 06:51 AM

As 3 Hummers says, Best off road/on road combination in the world! Plus its a Hummers forum what do you expect? Buy it and have fun. Get what you want but know whats available and what it is your getting. If you like 20's get them but dont get bling wheels and tires for off roading. Like dont get heated seats for gas mileage! Search, ask questions, and know your product then buy what it is that fits that need. Grand Pappys Hummer is cool though.

Old 04-18-2008, 08:43 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: HummBob

HOLY CRAP Peej, those are some HUMMERGUY sized posts!!

Welcome to the NUTHOUSE!!!![8D]
I saw that [>:]

Welcome to the forum!

Old 04-18-2008, 09:02 AM
Super Moderator

Peej............where ya from brud? Are you sure, I mean really sure, you never owned a Jeep?....Peej?

How bout a Diesel???? Just wondering.

Old 04-18-2008, 09:33 AM

The other day, weather was bad and I had to use my son's lifted Avalanche. Yeah, 20 inch wheels and a 6 inch lift look nice, but the ride seemed very unstable to me. Even at low speed, any quick turn of the steering wheel provided a boat-like back and forth motion. Plus the bumps were felt a lot harder. I called it to his attention and he confirmed my description of the cons regarding the lifted truck. He said it's all about the looks. A co-worker of his has an H2 with 22 inch wheels and a 6 inch lift. Again, it's all about the looks. I'd like to think that the H2's larger wheel accessory pkg does not degrade the ride at all since it's OEM. That Ultra Marine limited edition model (sorry about using the word package in a previous post) really caught my eye and in test driving it, it felt stable as hell. I really liked it. I'm waiting now to see what kind of discounts are in the pipeline from the General. Some of you posted that you have experience with Land Cruisers and Land Rovers. Brand new, these are some very expensive toys. Fully loaded, they make the H2 seem like a bargain.

As mentioned before, I probably could get into off-roading as long as it's not a rough trail. To me, the H2 seems to be the epitome of safety and security. That's what it means to me!
Bad mileage, yeah, I can live with that. Getting in and out of the H2 is sort of a challenge to me. I've had 2 back operations, and my mobility isn't what it used to be. The salesman I deal with knows me from a previous purchase (Chevrolet) and said I can get a power step put on the H2. I hope that doesn't look too tacky. It sure would make going in and out a lot easier. Plus when not in use, the step hides under the vehicle. By the way,I can get an employee discount through my son.

I found a British automobile channel that does a great job in bashing Hummers. The host really believes that the sun rises and sets on the Land Rover vehicles. Sure, they're nice, but according to Forbe's magazine (I think), the Land Rover vehicles are over priced. And I think their quality is questionable given their MSRP (I spoke with some mechanics who have worked on these vehicles).

Any idea when the current H2 model year ends? Is it 2011? Will they be redesigning a new platform or will they just drop the H2 from their line-up? Any additional changes for the 2009 model besides Blue Tooth and heated steering wheel? Time is on my side right now. I'm just waiting to see about upcoming incentives. I missed the last one where the General was offering 0% interest for 5 years. That's a nice one. Anyway, if there are 4WD experts out there who can describe the 4WD system on the H2, I would appreciate it. You know, sales people aren't necessarily experts.

Old 04-18-2008, 09:41 AM
Super Moderator

Well, according to rumor and dealer sources, the current model will end at 2010, and it is VERY possible will not exist after that. I've heard that from reliable sources, but everybody has their insiders and we all have different stories usually, but most of the time there are bits and pieces that are all on the same page.

They cancelled the newly redesigned H2 to extend the life of the current one. Who knows what's going to happen.

Old 04-18-2008, 09:55 AM

Mr. Doc Olds,

I'm from Colorado and never owned a Jeep. I do have much respect for them. Back in 1949, I think, they had out the first SUVs and have been building them ever since. In looking at the new Overland models, it seems to me that you get a lot for your money. BUT, Consumers Report rarely ever has anything good to say about their quality. That scares me a little. Plus my son told me that the Hummers hold their value much better than the Jeeps. What I found interesting about the Jeep Grand Cherokee was the electronic limited slip differentials. The front and rear axles can, out of necessity, become fully locked. You can lock the rear differential on the H2 but not the front. I don't know why the General went this route. Although, in my case, not emphasizing off-road, its not a deal breaker. I've read that the upcoming HT3 will have lockable front and rear axles. I think the H1 has lockable front and rear axles. Why not the poor H2. It's always the middle child that suffers. Since I'm on the topic of Jeeps, I think they use rack and pinion steering and coil springs on their front end. Why do you think the General used recirculating ball steering and torsion bars. This is old and outdated technology. Maybe they have a reason! I never owned a diesel nor have I ever done any research to determine the benefits. I'm more of a gas man (pass me the BEANO).

Old 04-18-2008, 11:06 AM

I have owned now 2 hummers my first one over 2 years ago... it was a lease and decided to give it back to the dealer insted of just buying it!!!! well anyways on my truck i had 24" wheels with toyo off road tire... which like you said it just for the looks... an expensive look... took it offroading not a problem it couldn't handle (wasn't an expert course) regarding other vehicles i work were i pretty much see rangerovers all day... and one thing that i have noticed is taht they don't hold their resale value as much as an H2 does. THen again realtors might just want to get rid of the vehicle. after not having the H2 for over a year i decided to get another one for my own reasons which follow...
1. There are some people who hate the truck! I think its envy they can't afford the gas.
2. I had my old 24" wheels that cost me 9 grand, and they had lots of thread left (looks good)
3. H2 Is a wonderful truck to have, if the 4x4 system is the same as lets just say a GMC Denali , price wise there is not much of a difference, i would rather pay 5,000 more and have a hummer ( to me a no brainer)
4. Defenitely a head turner!!!!
5. I have a son on the way, Belive me if i hit someone if someone hits me, i know for a fact that we might not have seviere damage... (Check my spelling) I hit a car on my old hummer and it looked like an accordian.
6. To me best SUV that i have ever owned that is why i purchased it again... no LEASES, no PAYMENTS!!!!

so Pjee, its really a matter of what you like the most... if they were to tell you that the 4x4 system is exactly the same as a TAHOE you have to decide... what is it that you want... i know that the 4x4 tahoe is in the low 40's... (I am not saying that it is the same system i have no idea!)

Old 04-18-2008, 11:37 AM

ORIGINAL: Peej ******

Hi all,

Subject text says it all. In my 40 years of driving experience, I have never owned or driven a 4 wheel drive vehicle. Because I always traveled for a living, my choice of vehicles has been small Econoboxes like the Datsun F-10, Honda Civic, dodge Colt, etc. I'm pretty much retired now. Work only when I want to (accountant). I'd like to get a bad weather vehicle. Up to about a month ago, I was pretty sure about getting a Grand Cherokee. My son, however, works for a Chevy/Hummer dealership and told me to check out the Hummer H2. I did. I test drove the Ultra Marine H2 and fell in love with it. I don't drive enough whereby fuel costs would be a problem. The local dealer has an off-road course. My son drove it and loved it. Me, on the other hand, was too chicken. Let's just say that when I'm going uphill and can't see anything but sky or traveling on an aggressive side slope and wondering if the vehicle is gonna fall over, I get nervous. My son, who has an 6 inch lifted Avalanche just loves those off-road type courses. Anyway, I'm not wanting 4WD for off-road (although, maybe, I can get to like it). I want 4WD for bad weather.

Since I've been researching the H2, I have never realized what a hated vehicle it is. Certain groups out there hate it for it's size and weight. It does bother me, but I like it for it's size and weight. For years, John Q Public went through his fads or phases....large pickup trucks, mini vans and SUVs. Here I am, in my small econoboxes, having to deal with these larger vehicles. Couldn't complain, though, because family, friends, or neighbors would say 'TOUGH'. Well now that I'm in the market for an SUV, I'm thinking 'BIG'. And here I am looking at H2s. Maybe all you Hummer owners can answer some questions for me.
nice screen name! I think the ****** Jeeps are still some of the nicest looking things ever put on 4 wheels.

A nice thing about an H2 is that at nearly 7 feet wide (to the outside of the tires) its very hard to tip it over. And don't think I haven't tried.

1. Models like the Ultra Marine come equipped with 20 inch wheels. Is this a plus? Do these 20 inch wheels provide additional ground clearance? How much additional clearance?
good for looks, bad for offroad

2. Is the 4WD system better than what you find on the General's other SUVs and trucks. Or are the drive systems the same.
Not the same. More suspension travel (not the same suspension) - i think the rear of the H2 has the highest travel of any SUV including the Wrangler (the independent front is a bit lacking, though). Different t-case, differential gearing, a locking rear diff, a traction control system made for offroad use, bigger tires, etc. Also better clearance, underbody protection, approach&departure angles.

3. The H2 looks like it's built like a brick outhouse. Compared to the General's other SUVs and trucks is the build quality really that much better. I'm trying to decide if the upscale price
is worth it. H2 opponents like to say it's a modified Tahoe. I'd like to think there's more to an H2 than that.

I have additional questions but will wait for some other time . Thanks to all .

John
Make no mistake, the H2 will generate alot of reaction. Some good, some bad. Reactions to mine have ranged from people chasing it for several blocks screaming out their windows, or running out of bars with two thumbs pointed down yelling something to myriad middle fingers or cat-calls of "love your mileage" and stuff like that to a convertible full of girls flashing their *****, kids running tot he side of the street to stare, and once a girl said she'd give me a hummer if she could do it in the hummer whilst I was imbibing at a local pub, lol.

Its all over the place. Its like the vehicle that everybody has to have

Old 04-18-2008, 12:17 PM

A good nickname for a H2 is "off-road Cadillac" based on comfort of it's ride.

Quick Reply: Brand New to the Hummer Forum