PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Failure

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 04:04 PM
Default Brake Failure

Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem. Yesterday took the H3 out. As I'm leaving my place, which has a secutity gate I notice that the truck is creeping forward requiring me to put more pressure on the brake pedal. I then proceed onto the highway towards an intersection with a red light. As I come-up to the light I notice that the pedal has become extremely spongy and the pedal is heading for the floorboards. I pump the pedal and the H3 stops but as I sit at the light the pedal proceeds to go right to the mat! I end-up applying the parking brake to hold the truck as I'm on a bit of a decline. I pump the pedal again, get a little pressure and release the parking brake to get going. It's safe to say that at this point I'm not very confident in what will happen at the next stop! Pedal is still spongy as I return home. Get to my place, shutoff truck and check to see if maybe I have a brake system leak. Resevoir is full, no leaks on the ground.

At no time did I get any warning lsuch as ABS malfunction, Brake system pressure malfunction lights coming on.

I then restart the H3 and the pressure on the pedal is back to about 3/4 of what it would normally have before the initial failure. This morning I get in it to take it to the dealer and the pressure is at the 3/4 point.

Just wonderijng if anyone else has had this issue. I have to say that it becomes a little disconcerting when you don't know if you've got brakes or not.

Almost seems like there is air in the system or the booster is malfunctioning.

Old 08-28-2006, 04:30 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Brake Failure

Welcome to our Forum!

How old is your H3, and how many miles do you have on it? Mine has 18,000+ and the brakes are still as stiff as they were when they were new. I have never had that happen.

Did you check your brake fluid level? Also, make sure that the cap on the fluid tank is tight, and check to make sure there are no streams of liquid as if it was leaking.

Have you ever taken it off-roading? You may have a small leak in your brake line that caused it to slowly leak fluid and now you have air bubbles in the line.

I'm sure they will figure it out.

Old 08-28-2006, 05:06 PM

Thanks for the welcome. This website is very informative. I have appoximately 5000 KM (3000 miles) on it. Purchased it in July. I checked the items that you mentioned and everything appeared fine. It hasn't been off-road yet and I'm kinda glad. I take my motorcycle trailer up some singletrack mining roads for enduro practice and don't need to be losing brake pressure on the way down.

I had an Escape and I do have to say that it never was in the Ford Dealer. I do think part of the problem is the dealership, as their attention to detail is a little wanting. This particular vehicle has been in to their shop five times in as many weeks for a variety of issues. When I picked it up on July 3rd it was covered in dust as they had to bring it from another lot. It had a dead battery on delivery which needed to be replaced the next day along with casuing the temp gauge to go wild. I also discovered a dent in the passenger side door as the saleman handed me the keys LOL.

Then I bring it back for them to install the marker lights, fix the dent and check for a rattle in the driver door all of which took three days. I pick it up and dicover greasy finger prints on the headliner as the technicial used the moonroof to do the install. I also had problems with the On-star system which they stated need a new module which was backordered. I give them two weeks for that and discover that they never ordered it. I contact the deal Operation Manager who thinks that I have the patience of a saint and he sends the shop foreman to my office to try and diagnose the On-star. Ends up that he resets everything on the vehiicle which I'm sure was out of wack because of the battery issue.

Everything was fine after that until this week.

I like the vehicle but having to send it to these guys every second week is becoming an annoyance. Unfortunately, they are the only Hummer dealer in BC.

Old 08-28-2006, 05:18 PM
Super Moderator

Some users on here have had H3's that have been unfortunately plagued with problems, while most of us have had no problems at all. It may just be one of those unfortunate H3's that you purchased. You said you took it to the dealer already, or you are going to take it?

Old 08-28-2006, 05:35 PM

I have a sneaking feeling that your Master Cylinder is failing, letting pressure leak past the internal piston seals, this would explain why you didn't get a warning light..Any leaks would give you a light, as that would cause a pressure imbalance in the system and a switch would operate the light in those sort of cases..

No biggy, unless you want to stop real quick...Get it fixed ASAP..It is an easy fix too....Not to come to the defense of GM..But these sort of things happen in some rare cases..I've seen this same issue with a brand new Mercedes as well.

Old 08-28-2006, 07:10 PM

KTM,

I'm from Surrey and got my H3 from Dueck GM too, the only Hummer dealer here in BC.

I only had to bring my truck in once for them to replace my jack (on recall) and reset my Onstar.

Just like you though, my battery was dead on delivery, they wanted to simply charge it but insisted on replacing it with a new one (which they did).

I have about 2000km on it I think, and have been happy with it so far.

The only thing now that I started noticing is the faint knocking /clunking sound I hear sometimes when I shift from 1st to 2nd gear (I have a 5-speed). It's happens very rarely and is very faint that I'm not too worried with it. If it gets worst I'll bring it back.

My salesman was great (Ike I.), but the Business Manager who handled my file (Kyle K.) is incompetent. He doesn't return calls and doesn't really care.

All the shop/service dept. guys have been very very helpful and courteous to me so far too.

Hope you get your problems fixed once and for all.

Old 08-30-2006, 08:05 PM

Well truck is back. Dealer found pedal was spongy but they couldn't get it to go right to the mat. They have bled the system as they think there was air in the system. I asked how that may have occured and was told that it could have been there all along? Seems with 5000 k on it that that would have occurred before now. Anyway brakes are working so far.
I'm not very confident in the dealership as I also had to have them fix a whistling noise coming from the marker lights they installed. according to the yesterdays repair sheet that the new tech found the nutserts were all loose, the double sided tape was incorrectly installed and the fasteners were loose. Again, all seems good today.

Old 09-01-2006, 07:12 AM

That SUCKS!! Especially to a fellow CANUCK!!!

Old 09-05-2006, 05:03 PM

ORIGINAL: KTMCanuck

Thanks for the welcome. This website is very informative. I have appoximately 5000 KM (3000 miles) on it. Purchased it in July. I checked the items that you mentioned and everything appeared fine. It hasn't been off-road yet and I'm kinda glad. I take my motorcycle trailer up some singletrack mining roads for enduro practice and don't need to be losing brake pressure on the way down.

I had an Escape and I do have to say that it never was in the Ford Dealer. I do think part of the problem is the dealership, as their attention to detail is a little wanting. This particular vehicle has been in to their shop five times in as many weeks for a variety of issues. When I picked it up on July 3rd it was covered in dust as they had to bring it from another lot. It had a dead battery on delivery which needed to be replaced the next day along with casuing the temp gauge to go wild. I also discovered a dent in the passenger side door as the saleman handed me the keys LOL.

Then I bring it back for them to install the marker lights, fix the dent and check for a rattle in the driver door all of which took three days. I pick it up and dicover greasy finger prints on the headliner as the technicial used the moonroof to do the install. I also had problems with the On-star system which they stated need a new module which was backordered. I give them two weeks for that and discover that they never ordered it. I contact the deal Operation Manager who thinks that I have the patience of a saint and he sends the shop foreman to my office to try and diagnose the On-star. Ends up that he resets everything on the vehiicle which I'm sure was out of wack because of the battery issue.

Everything was fine after that until this week.

I like the vehicle but having to send it to these guys every second week is becoming an annoyance. Unfortunately, they are the only Hummer dealer in BC.
Hey, just wondering...how does your H3 feel hauling your motorcycle trailer? I pick mine up tomorrow and the loaner I have right now does not have a hitch.....I will be pulling my dirtbikes on a 3 bar trailer...usually just 2 bikes (WR250F and YZ450 if anyone cares). I have been pulling them with my 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Old 09-05-2006, 05:16 PM
Super Moderator

I pulled my 450 lb 93 CBR and my 300 lb Virago with my H3 and I didn't even feel it. It was like the trailor wasn't even attached.

Quick Reply: Brake Failure